Purchasing FZJ80 Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to purchase a FZJ80 remotely for about 22k but mostly stock at 153k miles. After checking car fax looks like it was in Illinois for its life before coming to California. Just wanted to get your thoughts on how bad this rust looks in your opinion and what parts are the biggest issue. Most likely I will be putting a small lift on it but concerned about odd part replacements.

I look forward to being part of the community soon.

original-27C407DF-E9D2-4939-A1FB-61EBD66C5C33.jpeg

original-026929AF-2AC9-422A-916B-A35F53DB3B8D.jpeg

original-A905CE83-E334-43DB-A0A8-9A51F6B51C80.jpeg

original-AAFF438B-8889-44FE-BB8C-7D9F15A17C57.jpeg

original-C988EDDC-C8EA-4915-A82E-0F1FF95B9A91.jpeg

I think you can get better for less? Asking $22k for this is crazy. Take about $10k off, and that'll be the current market for LCs. The rust doesn't look "that bad".

Just look at my signature line and that will tell you my 0.02.

Don't. Do. It. Unless they pay you to take it.
Folks on the western side of the US will all say DONT BUY! For eastern US folks "this isn't that bad". All depends on your intentions for the LC.

My "nice LC" has zero rust, but my project one that's being built for more off-roading came from VA. Most of the rusted parts were going to be swapped out anyway, and I'm cleaning up the frame.

I think you can get better for less? Asking $22k for this is crazy. Take about $10k off, and that'll be the current market for LCs. The rust doesn't look "that bad".
Everything is looking like 18-25k right now on West Coast, miles and and maintenance vary and modifications. was looking for relatively low miles in stock form.

Folks on the western side of the US will all say DONT BUY! For eastern US folks "this isn't that bad". All depends on your intentions for the LC.

My "nice LC" has zero rust, but my project one that's being built for more off-roading came from VA. Most of the rusted parts were going to be swapped out anyway, and I'm cleaning up the frame.
This is a 94 with triple lock and 153k miles. I will mostly buy for a trail and camping rig. Can't bring myself to buy a jeep.

Checks the boxes, but I can't imagine paying $22k for it.

I live in the Northeast where the roads are salted so I've lived with rust my whole life, and can tell you from painful experience that you will hate that rust when you go to do any work. I can feel bolt heads snapping when I look at that thing.

I bought my last one in Colorado. Do yourself a favor and start with as rust free an example as you can find that fits your budget.

Last edited:
Checks the boxes, but I can't imagine paying $22k for it.
I can't find anything in decent and maintained condition for less than 20k right now. There are a few around 18-19 k rough then a few 20-25k with added lockers and 250k miles and a lift. Must be the times. Seems all older rigs have jumped up last few years.

"What rust?" -Guy from Michigan.

Seriously though, other than the rear heater pipes, that all looks superficial. Even the rear of the front control arms look bad, but if you cleaned them up and painted them, they will be good as new. The significant parts like the frame, control arm, and sway bars are still solid and minor parts like brackets can easily be cleaned up and re-painted (steering damper bracket) or replaced (front sway bar brackets, tie-rod clamps).

It does seem like a lot of $$, but if that's the going price in your market, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

How's the body? Bottoms of doors, rockers in front of rear wheels, around windshield?

Ditto: too much rust but also multiple signs that it hasn't been taken care of and will need thousands (5-10k) of mechanical repairs and service, and I'm not talking about changing the fluids.

Just looking at the few photos tells you everything you need to know. The owner didn't take even one minute to clean off the engine bay (or the leaves).

The dry rusty axle swivel balls (at each end of the front axle where the steering knuckles attach) show that the owner didn't know and/or didn't care about getting them serviced. A complete front axle service will cost you bare minimum $1500, but that cost could double or triple if you have to replace hard parts.

And then besides the rust there are cob webs on the undercarriage, that shows that the vehicle has probably been sitting a long time, so the question is, why has it been sitting?? Has it been overheating?? Did they get a $5000 estimate to replace the head gasket, so they just parked it??

A big potential cost for all FZJ80's with the original head gasket is when the head gasket leaks (internally) ie: there generally will be no signs outwardly that it is leaking, then the engine overheats and then starts blowing coolant vapor out the tailpipe. Or maybe the owner has already dumped a bottle or three of head gasket sealer into the cooling system??

Cost to repair a head gasket along with a few other while-you're-in-there service/repairs: $5000 minimum to $10,000++ for someone to install a new/rebuilt engine.

Point is you have to be aware of current or past head gasket issues.
Looks like it has locking differentials so that could be seen as a positive
assuming they work.

If you look closely in one photo of the undercarriage near the Cats you can see the bottom of the right rocker panel which shows signifcant rust along the bottom edge with rust "bubbles" (rust holes under the paint).

Bottomline: Even a "good" 80 series without any rust and that's been taken care of most of it's life often needs a few thousand dollars of catch up service and repairs. The seller of this one likely looked on Fleabay and came up with the asking price. IMO you're looking at maybe a $1500-2500 that's without seeing most of the body.

Last edited:
"What rust?" -Guy from Michigan.

Seriously though, other than the rear heater pipes, that all looks superficial. Even the rear of the front control arms look bad, but if you cleaned them up and painted them, they will be good as new. The significant parts like the frame, control arm, and sway bars are still solid and minor parts like brackets can easily be cleaned up and re-painted (steering damper bracket) or replaced (front sway bar brackets, tie-rod clamps).

It does seem like a lot of $$, but if that's the going price in your market, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

How's the body? Bottoms of doors, rockers in front of rear wheels, around windshield?
I am not in love with it but just getting some thoughts from the group.

original-FBB63659-F67F-4CB8-A15B-70EDDF038663.jpeg

original-1427DDC9-8BD2-4F54-B7C9-5FEF27428DF0.jpeg

original-0EAE9BF7-1100-4A9B-AB4B-736EA17BBDC1.jpeg

Ditto: too much rust but also multiple signs that it hasn't been taken care of and will need thousands (5-10k) of mechanical repairs and service, and I'm not talking about changing the fluids.

Just looking at the few photos tells you everything you need to know. The owner didn't take even one minute to clean off the engine bay (or the leaves).

The dry rusty axle swivel balls (at each end of the front axle where the steering knuckles attach) show that the owner didn't know and/or didn't care about getting them serviced. A complete front axle service will cost you bare minimum $1500, but that cost could double or triple if you have to replace hard parts.

And then besides the rust there are cob webs on the undercarriage, that shows that the vehicle has probably been sitting a long time, so the question is, why has it been sitting?? Has it been overheating?? Did they get a $5000 estimate to replace the head gasket, so they just parked it??

A big potential cost for all FZJ80's with the original head gasket is when the head gasket leaks (internally) ie: there generally will be no signs outwardly that it is leaking, then the engine overheats and then starts blowing coolant vapor out the tailpipe. Or maybe the owner has already dumped a bottle or three of head gasket sealer into the cooling system??

Cost to repair a head gasket along with a few other while-you're-in-there service/repairs: $5000 minimum to $10,000++ for someone to install a new/rebuilt engine.

Point is you have to be aware of current or past head gasket issues.
Looks like it has locking differentials so that could be seen as a positive
assuming they work.

Bottomline: Even a "good" 80 series without any rust and that's been taken care of most of it's life often needs a few thousand dollars of catch up service and repairs. The seller of this one likely looked on Fleabay and came up with the asking price. IMO you're looking at maybe a $1500-2500 that's without seeing any body photos.
My thoughts were that the big maintenance items were lacking. The carfax showed all the oil changes but not much else. Thanks for the advice, I am planning on going through whatever 80 I purchase as you mention. Looking for a keeper though so it doesn't feel like wasting money.

My thoughts were that the big maintenance items were lacking. The carfax showed all the oil changes but not much else. Thanks for the advice, I am planning on going through whatever 80 I purchase as you mention. Looking for a keeper though so it doesn't feel like wasting money.
Pass on this one and wait for another. They'll see ppl aren't buying at these prices.

One of the first places to rust is under the rear hatch dust deflector mounts (if it has the deflector, most in the US do). Then check the rocker panels down low (partially hidden by the running boards), the bottom inside of the doors, the rear wheel wells closely, the inner aspect of the front (nose) of the hood, ---. Anywhere on the body that has a ribbon of seam sealer (ie: where skin panels are sealed) tends to show rust first in vehicles from the rust belt, IME.

Looking to purchase a FZJ80 remotely for about 22k but mostly stock at 153k miles. After checking car fax looks like it was in Illinois for its life before coming to California. Just wanted to get your thoughts on how bad this rust looks in your opinion and what parts are the biggest issue. Most likely I will be putting a small lift on it but concerned about odd part replacements.

I look forward to being part of the community soon.

View attachment 3501732

View attachment 3501733

View attachment 3501734

View attachment 3501735

To add. Time "wears" stuff out in different ways than mileage. In fact, seals, Bushings, etc. Rot with time and heat cycles. The seats look great for the age, but yeah, rust - oh my, what you don't see can get scary/expensive.:bang:
Something this Minnesota boy living in California can't stomach.:meh:
Early welcome to the community:beer:

For god's sake, you live in california... DON'T BUY RUST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom