93 FZJ75 Pickup - The Unicorn (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Personally, I think any 70 series that has a folding windshield should have them. I mean, it was designed from the factory to fold onto the hood, it needs those cradles whether you use them or not. I still want to put them on mine.
I recently bought two from Partsouq.com. They were $86.77 each. One of mine was missing the hold down screw so I decided to replace them both and keep the originals for spares.

Last edited:
Well I guess this story is way happier than @2fpower 's in the sense that you did get what you paid for. I'm still keen to see how his ends though! Based on what I've seen it'd give the OP's 75 a run for his money!

House of Cruisers is one of the more reputable Venezuelan-sourced restorators there are. Their work is impressive.

If you need information or any help with your Venezuelan cruisers, I'd be glad to help.

Well I guess this story is way happier than @2fpower 's in the sense that you did get what you paid for. I'm still keen to see how his ends though! Based on what I've seen it'd give the OP's 75 a run for his money!

House of Cruisers is one of the more reputable Venezuelan-sourced restorators there are. Their work is impressive.

If you need information or any help with your Venezuelan cruisers, I'd be glad to help.

Good to know that we have a Venezuela connection on Mud @lugueto! I'm sure @2fpower will create a more impressive rig, and he won't be afraid to wheel it! I barely have enough time to wrench on my 80 (my trail rig). I wasn't looking for a project this go around and was happy to find something so clean and unique (to the US at least).

There are a few of us in here, I believe.

You have a beautiful example. As far as being clean, the places they usually source these rigs are in the Andes, or in high altitude terrain. Very dry so no rust. Also, with very gentle folks who, even though they use them for work, they care for them very much.

You can find beautiful 40s and 70s in the region. Not many are very willing to sell them but since money talks and the restoration business is booming, you get a beautiful rig in the states in mint condition lol.

Hello,

I found two rather old pictures of Venezuelan 75 Series.

This truck has lived a hard life. Notice the SOA conversion.

Land Cruiser 75 - FJ75 DSC01497.JPG

This one is in better shape.

Land Cruiser 75 - FJ75 HPIM2470.JPG

Juan

Those are (illegal) mine trucks. They carry 6, 55gal drums full of gas to and from places you wouldn't believe a car would go through, 3-5 times a week.

They're basically beat to sh*t and held together by bailingwire, tape and JB Weld. Those two are in pretty decent shape, you'd be surprised at what you see in those mine towns.

Those are (illegal) mine trucks. They carry 6, 55gal drums full of gas to and from places you wouldn't believe a car would go through, 3-5 times a week.

They're basically beat to sh*t and held together by bailingwire, tape and JB Weld. Those two are in pretty decent shape, you'd be surprised at what you see in those mine towns.
What makes them illegal? That's a pretty sizeable load, especially SOA o_O

thanks for sharing! Wonder how many miles are on the blue one? If that thing could talk...:)

Hello,

I have asked myself the same question.

That truck would probably tell stories of ferrying food and supplies for miners and farmers across very rough roads.

Most of the miners, however, operate without permits. They clear the jungle and use mercury to extract gold from the ore; then they dump all toxic waste into the rivers.

The dictators in Venezuela are allowing this type of mining on a huge scale in an attempt to make some hard currency while evading US sanctions. Sad.

Juan

What makes them illegal? That's a pretty sizeable load, especially SOA o_O

The trucks themselves aren't illegal. Most of those mines, as well as mining in those areas, is.

If you want to get a good look into it, you can watch Secret Amazon on Netflix, episode 5 I believe.

FWIW In any other country, that vehicle wouldn't be anywhere close to road worthy.

Personally, I think any 70 series that has a folding windshield should have them. I mean, it was designed from the factory to fold onto the hood, it needs those cradles whether you use them or not. I still want to put them on mine.

FYI the hoods that came oem with the windshield rest bumps have a reinforcement . If you fold your windshield down on one that did not came with these it bends down , I installed a set of bumps on a regular hood on my crawler and it goes down a 1/4 of an inch when I lay the windshield on it and that is with a lightweight fiberglass windshield frame.

FYI the hoods that came oem with the windshield rest bumps have a reinforcement . If you fold your windshield down on one that did not came with these it bends down , I installed a set of bumps on a regular hood on my crawler and it goes down a 1/4 of an inch when I lay the windshield on it and that is with a lightweight fiberglass windshield frame.

Great info. Still seems weird to have a windshield with hinges, yet not have the right parts for it.

Great info. Still seems weird to have a windshield with hinges, yet not have the right parts for it.

Only the ones that also have the removable upper frames on the doors come with the reinforced hood as far as I know.

Only the ones that also have the removable upper frames on the doors come with the reinforced hood as far as I know.

My hood is reinforced with the rest bumps/locks but I don’t think my doors come apart. Obviously the roof comes off and the upper rear body section. Here’s a photo of the door.

E68E41BA-18BE-41EA-967C-3380F4FE9CE7.jpeg

The FJ73 soft top I had also had the hood with the reinforced windshield locks and no removable door frames.

My hood is reinforced with the rest bumps/locks but I don’t think my doors come apart. Obviously the roof comes off and the upper rear body section. Here’s a photo of the door.

View attachment 2112684

My experience is limited to what was available in the European market , I am not to educated on the other markets and there are many different versions ;)

Last edited:
My experience is limited to what was available in the European market , I am not to educated on the other markets and there are many different versions ;)

We lived in Europe for almost 10 years and I never saw a 70 series pickup. On the other hand, they are everywhere here, and all tan. Took me a while before my head quit snapping around every few minutes when one came into my peripheral vision!

There are lots of other 70 series models over here but I haven’t done much research on them.

Is that tilt steering I see? Very nice!

Yes. Tilt steering, factory AC and heat, power wing mirrors, manual windows and door locks. Also has altimeter (worthless) and inside and outside temp.

EAEDBA69-73CD-49A5-86B8-116CAACD6DA4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom