'90 FJ62: Oyster - 1HZ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Head getting finished up and block should be done as well in a week or so.

IMG_4579.JPG

Just cleaned up the head with new stem seals and freeze plugs

For the block - going to hone and re-use std pistons. Oil clearance still checks out and pistons are in good shape.

Other question on my mind is engine paint. I want a light color and have been thinking about either Cummins beige or light grey

Goal to have engine, trans and Tcase all bolted together by the end of the summer - wish me luck

Well well well somehow "a week" turned into nearly 6 months loll. Brought the head home tonight, getting block and other bits tomorrow. Was hoping to just get the crank polished but it is a HAIR under spec to going to bring it down to .50U/S. I only want to be this deep into the engine once..... anyone got a 1hz valve adjustment tool in the bay area they are willing to loan/rent out?

9C12B810-80DE-4FAE-8E23-2C9B2B43A81B_1_105_c.jpeg

looking forward to finally having this back home and dressing it up

Installed 2in lift that I got back in the spring! not sure why I was sitting on my hands for so long.....

Went on pretty easy for a first time install. OME heavies front and rear and Bilsteins all around as well as new extended SS brake lines and 4* caster shims. So far driving around town it is much improved over the old clapped out springs and shocks. I installed - springs on passenger side and 0 on drivers and still have a small (1/2in measured at wheel well) lean to drivers side. Will that settle out?

Got a trip in early Nov to stretch the legs a bit and see how it does on the dirt!

3652CD59-AF66-4827-A9E5-E6F34109C212.jpeg

Got custom with the LSPV spacer. I need to properly adjust it per The Book but works ok for now.

45E67688-5F66-439D-A08B-205F161C3C7C_1_105_c.jpeg

Tires look kinda silly now.

Also got my crank back from the grinder and going to start that assembly shortly once a few final bits arrive.

For future reference Bilstein PNs:
33-230368 - front
33-185606 - rear
I had to drill out the bushing so they fit the 3/4in perches.

Way past due for an update:

long story short got the motor fully assembled and dropped in a few weeks ago.

Assembly went pretty smooth - for future reference the oil pump plug thread is 1/8 BSPT. Got a new oil pump but had to transfer the old plug over but it did not come out in one piece.

Got motor installed in about a day and a half. Majority of time was spent grinding off old mounts and welding in new ones from @orangefj45 and fab-ing cross member mounts - new mounts are beefy as hell and make the process SO much easier

Now for some pretty pictures :)

B2D367B8-9B64-40AA-BC69-E06236AB2E6D_1_102_o.jpeg

22F07705-FB96-45B0-8B10-4FAF6C53448C_1_105_c.jpeg

7C3524A0-143E-4F38-80AB-0DC127842A02_1_105_c.jpeg

Now working on the fun part of getting it all back together!

Looking GREAT!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Ok wow its been a minute... Build is finished (mostly) and first 4,000 miles of road trials have gone smoothly!

Install highlights:

- re-wiring the whole harness to move all the accessory connectors to the correct side. I didnt just want to crimp on tons of extra wire and route stuff along the firewall so I pulled the dash apart and pulled the full harness from the truck to re-work it. Removed everything I didnt need and updated/upsized wiring where necessary.
- pulled the interior for a deep clean and full sound deadening with butyl and closed cell foam
- second battery for accessories etc charged from alt with home brew charging relay.

Install issues:
- Not holding prime due to loose fittings and lack of check valve between filter and tank
- Overloading factor starting circuit causing no-start, fixed with additional relay.

Also built out a camping/storage set up with fridge and rear seat delete.

Even though it is still NA, really impressed with power upgrade over the 3fe. On a recent trip up to tahoe I only had to drop to 4th a few times on the 80 grade and it cruises comfortably at 65/70.

Still to be done:
- Tach not working yet, using a Dakota Digital Hall effect sensor and converter box but wiring needs to be tweaked
- No AC yet....
- Reverse lights
- just started blowing blinker fuse so need to investigate that further

70798328556__B9593497-247F-4FD6-A207-59130863C58D.jpeg

IMG_0006.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom