8x Series V8 Swaps (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered that other variant water pump that has a straight outlet. Need to get an upper hose. Saw a 2010 silverado was good to try. From a 1500 series?

Last edited:
I ordered that other variant water pump that has a straight outlet. Need to get an upper hose. Saw a 2010 silverado was good to try. From a 1500 series?
This was the hose I bought:

Dayco 71989 Upper Radiator Hose,Black https://a.co/d/1URxrzn

Got it installed and mocked up for now. Waiting on the upper radiator hose, should be in Thursday. I already trimmed up the lower rad hose, fits pretty good. Ordered some delphi weather pack connectors, so I can do the electrical connectors, using connectors so that I don't have to cut the wires if I ever need to pull the fans out in the future.

Has anyone cut and adjusted the length of the Toyota throttle cable for a DBC LS throttle body? Looking at loiter and motion work cables. The toyota cable is just too long and in the way.

Has anyone cut and adjusted the length of the Toyota throttle cable for a DBC LS throttle body? Looking at loiter and motion work cables. The toyota cable is just too long and in the way.
I'm planning on cutting it back and then adding a screw on cable stop like some of the aftermarket cables have. This would allow you to retain the LS factory throttle cable mount and the toyota firewall mounting pad.

I just got it done! In about 20 minutes! Super easy. I just need an end with a set screw for the new end on the pedal side. Definitely no need to buy a new cable. I’ll put on some new heat shrink tubing to replace the outer rubber coating that was on it. Mine was all tore up and missing in some areas.

Thanks for the input, curious why you say? Electric fans are coming with more and more motors these days? Is it the radiator is too small not having enough coolant capacity, or do you think two 12" fans want move enough air? I guess I'll find out here soon enough, we usually have over 100 days over 100 degrees where I live. A few questions I do have, does it matter which hose feeds into the transmission cooler, i.e. do you want the "hot fluid" from the transmission going to the top connector, and cooler fluid going back to the transmission, not sure it matters as I bet the pump is moving enough volume, that the fluid probably isn't in the cooler for long.

Basic physics.

Electric fan is like 1/2HP

Mechanical fan is 20+ HP.

Electric fans make sense in economy vehicles where efficiency is paramount and the cooling package is designed around them.

Most modern HD internal combustion applications use mechanical fans with Electric clutches. Those Electric clutches are very failure prone compared to viscous.

I lost an engine in my superduty because the electric fan clutch failed. It has viscous now.

Thanks for the input, curious why you say? Electric fans are coming with more and more motors these days? Is it the radiator is too small not having enough coolant capacity, or do you think two 12" fans want move enough air? I guess I'll find out here soon enough, we usually have over 100 days over 100 degrees where I live. A few questions I do have, does it matter which hose feeds into the transmission cooler, i.e. do you want the "hot fluid" from the transmission going to the top connector, and cooler fluid going back to the transmission, not sure it matters as I bet the pump is moving enough volume, that the fluid probably isn't in the cooler for long.
well look at radiator from silverado truck it is almost double the size
i had extreme duty fan clutch and it was keeping the engine cool without a/c on with no problems , but on hwy and a/c on engine temperature will go over 230 F
but i did not like how loud was that fan
so my solution was medium duty fan clutch with another radiator , with two small electrical fans and now i have no problems any more
and another very important detail on that gm water pump hookup for heater core must flow all the time otherwise you will have overheating problems

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Run it and see how it goes.

I keep hitting snags in my swap. My wiring harness was WAY too long so I decided to shorten it and repin it. I also rebuilt my fuse box to hole my Derale fan relays. While doing all of this, I am pretty sure I have an oil leak from the rear engine cover. So this weekend the Trans and Tcase will come out to check it out. Maybe I will be on the road soon.

Electric fans make sense in economy vehicles where efficiency is paramount and the cooling package is designed around them.
Not sure i agree. My AMG CLS 63 ran electric and certainly wasn't an economy vehicle. Even in 110F+ with twin turbos and me driving it like it was stolen i never managed a coolant temp over 204 and an oil temp over 240. And that's a larger displacement and hotter engine with a smaller rad than a typical LS swap.

Likewise in my Cruiser. Twin electric fans and an OE rad have done a good job of keeping the coolant cool - admittedly I've had other cooling challenges, but they were self inflicted and unrelated. I still run the same primary cooling fans that were installed day one.

we’ll see, kinda too far down this path right now. I have an all metal OE radiator. We’ll see if it’s up to the task. I just broke the paper clip cooler so I have a new heat sinc cooler on the way. I could also see replacing the trans cooler with one with its own fan as well. I’ll do the best I can at getting the shroud on

For those who used the GM pcm to control the fan relays, what temps did you set for a trigger? I know I’ll need to use the a/c as a trigger as well, but I don’t need the fans on with the a/c going down the freeway. So any tips?

we’ll see, kinda too far down this path right now. I have an all metal OE radiator. We’ll see if it’s up to the task. I just broke the paper clip cooler so I have a new heat sinc cooler on the way. I could also see replacing the trans cooler with one with its own fan as well. I’ll do the best I can at getting the shroud on

For those who used the GM pcm to control the fan relays, what temps did you set for a trigger? I know I’ll need to use the a/c as a trigger as well, but I don’t need the fans on with the a/c going down the freeway. So any tips?
Mine trigger at 204, 208 and 212.

well look at radiator from silverado truck it is almost double the size
i had extreme duty fan clutch and it was keeping the engine cool without a/c on with no problems , but on hwy and a/c on engine temperature will go over 230 F
but i did not like how loud was that fan
so my solution was medium duty fan clutch with another radiator , with two small electrical fans and now i have no problems any more
and another very important detail on that gm water pump hookup for heater core must flow all the time otherwise you will have overheating problems
good luck with that fan set up
i bet you they will be blowing constantly
i m using mechanical fan and i ended adding another radiator under the body with two electrical fans to keep it cool in 95 F and up with A/C on

I don’t know why you would be having all those issues. You shouldn’t be. 2 radiators is ridiculous.

I have a regular fan clutch and a stock fzj80 radiator. My truck has NEVER went above 210° and that was only when wheeling in Utah in August with AC running. Dead of summer it’s 197-200° running 80mph for hours and hours with AC on across TX in August. If I’m not running 80 it’s 194°. I also didn’t do anything special about the heater lines like you mentioned.

This is my daily and I live in Florida and I have over 80k miles on the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom