8x Series V8 Swaps (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

almost finished looming the harness. 80% complete. So far from Toyota harness I am running the oil pressure. And Water temp plus the trans harness to the Tcase.

Started her up with the key today. For some reason I am not getting oil pressure at the dash. Will have to use Hptuner to make sure there is oil pressure.

I was able to back it up and pull it back in the shop she def sounded good. But I blew my high pressure PS line. So I had to make a new one.
F3BBCC76-3B35-4D64-A8F0-234150329005.jpeg
A3914930-0507-4675-AB20-CE7F4007F37F.jpeg

Congrats man! That’s a big step. What lift and tires are those?
35's and the lift is from Delta. I also have quite a bit on the inside from Delta as well. Though I will have to talk with Dave once I am done as my rear end is just a little too short to match the front.

From a few posts back, looking to get the cruise control set up, for DBC, (drive by cable). Looking at the wiring diagram, looks like I don't have to do anything wiring side? Just get the cable rigged properly. I do see two wires that went to the trans eco for o/d and ect, will the be an issue? Saw the posts on DBW, but non on DBC, hoping that is because it just works!!
Order a rostra cruise control kit and then wire it up. The old stock cruise needs inputs from the old transmission if I remember which you don't have anymore

Just a note for others. I’m into the wiring phase. Like many I ordered a relay fuse box from Amazon. Had 2k plus reviews. But the more I worked with it I decided it wasn’t for me. I didn’t like the pins being only one size and I just really started to second guess myself. I plan on taking my small children on adventures. And I’m not sure a 20$ Amazon relay box was worth the risk. I came across a phenomenal electrical write up from a Tacoma group. I highly recommend ordering these parts. Not an Amazon special to conduct your engine and fan controls. It may be fine for lights but NOT essentials. IMO.

00A6D260-4EAF-4A2E-817D-EE63E79DF349.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out these wiring links if you're just beginning,

Good video, on a camaro, but a good overview.

I have no affiliation with either link.

To any moderator, can we start a sticky, I know its all in this forum, but were at 160 pages, old lessons learned are getting buried. Happy to help. Also, I tried to start my build thread but when I try to identify it as a build, only WDYD option is available.

Check out these wiring links if you're just beginning,

Good video, on a camaro, but a good overview.

I have no affiliation with either link.

To any moderator, can we start a sticky, I know its all in this forum, but were at 160 pages, old lessons learned are getting buried. Happy to help. Also, I tried to start my build thread but when I try to identify it as a build, only WDYD option is available.

That is the same unit I have used on more than one swap. I really like them. Busman also makes other similarly designed panels.

I don’t know if anyone else on the internet has mentioned this, but I’ll add that those relays get tremendously hot even with small loads. You’ll notice the gray colored relays eventually get a discolored “burned” spot on the sides. Stacked on top of each other like that in a sealed box and in the engine bay seems to make them fail intermittently. Make sure to keep a couple spares on hand just in case.

The Busman boxes are hard to beat for sure. That Tacoma world piece is a great user's guide on how to set up a relay/fuse box along with what to use and where to get it. It is rare that you will need more than one. The most I've used is when putting E windows into a 60, rather than having relays all over, the fuses and relays are all in one place. Like mentioned above, keep spares handy.

Here is what I’m planning for wiring. Feel free to let me know if you think I’ll have problems. Using Toyota ignition and crank as signals to trip relays. Using a blue sea bus bar and the busman box.

26CF46C4-0BCF-45AD-986F-2F6DE2C1E264.jpeg

Last edited:
If using the 6l80/90e , what shifter or button switch is everyone using for sport mode an tap shift?
I was wondering if I could use the cruise control switch?

Looking for heater and rad hose options. For the heater hose, off the GM water pump basically need a 90 to come up to the firewall. Ive seen a few pics with some spliced in hose. Also need a 90 to come to the drivers side of the heater valve. Just seeing if anyone has found a slick option. Also any good rad hoses for GM water pump to stock style radiator. Thanks!!

Looking for heater and rad hose options. For the heater hose, off the GM water pump basically need a 90 to come up to the firewall. Ive seen a few pics with some spliced in hose. Also need a 90 to come to the drivers side of the heater valve. Just seeing if anyone has found a slick option. Also any good rad hoses for GM water pump to stock style radiator. Thanks!!
I am have not done a swap yet into my 80 but have you looked at Marks4wd for the heater hoses?

Marks 4WD heater hoses

I have taken a coat hanger bent it to the shape I needed and went to my local parts house and just searched through their inventory

I have a mechanical fan and forr upper hose I use an upper hose for a 2010ish Silverado with a little trimmed off the ends for good fitment.

Bottom hose I use Gates model 20230. It’s an upper hose for a 99 Ford Explorer. With a small amount of trimming for length it is a absolutely perfect fit:

C293F4F8-88C8-4C48-BA07-D510D0711D11.jpeg

Have you swapped your water pump for the one recommended?

Awesome, no I haven’t swapped it out, as it’s brand new. And I don’t think I can return it at this point. I’ll wait to see how bad the upper routing is. But thanks for the recommendations! What did you do for heater hoses?

Awesome, no I haven’t swapped it out, as it’s brand new. And I don’t think I can return it at this point. I’ll wait to see how bad the upper routing is. But thanks for the recommendations! What did you do for heater hoses?
Just a couple Gates 90s at the pump spliced into some straight hose routed to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom