8x Series V8 Swaps (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the same problem. I believe the issue is with 91 and 92 tachs. I think the Dakota converter sends out square wave voltage pulses and the 91 nd 92 needs voltage spikes is my theory. I bought a adapter to convert the Dakota signal to spikes but have been too busy to install it.

TACHOMETER SIGNAL BOOSTER / SPARK COIL SIMULATOR, 3~16V Input -> 55V+ Output 669439381151 | eBay

Interestingly the same vendor on ebay sells a tach converter like the Dakota one for about half the price.

You're picking up the signal from the GM harness, running it through the Dakota Digital unit, then through another unit referenced above out to the OEM tach?

I wanted to do the same thing but the GM automatic ended up being so much cheaper quicker easier

Mark's does make a gm nv4500 to hf2 adapter. The problem was finding a decent gm nv4500 for a good price and then you end up with a notchy nv4500 truck tranny. A t56 would be ideal but who has that kind of money.

I have the same problem. I believe the issue is with 91 and 92 tachs. I think the Dakota converter sends out square wave voltage pulses and the 91 nd 92 needs voltage spikes is my theory. I bought a adapter to convert the Dakota signal to spikes but have been too busy to install it.

TACHOMETER SIGNAL BOOSTER / SPARK COIL SIMULATOR, 3~16V Input -> 55V+ Output 669439381151 | eBay

Interestingly the same vendor on ebay sells a tach converter like the Dakota one for about half the price.
i did self test five times off the dakota unit and the gauge worked but not every time i even removed the gauge from cluster and wired it directly and no luck i m going to leave it for end and se what i can do or probably just swap the tachometer with newer one

i did self test five times off the dakota unit and the gauge worked but not every time i even removed the gauge from cluster and wired it directly and no luck i m going to leave it for end and se what i can do or probably just swap the tachometer with newer one
Yea I had the same experience. It will be a few weeks until I can get back to working on my 80 , I'm fairly confident this module will fix it. I'm busy getting my 40 ready for moab right now, once that done I'm back to working on the 80.

That is what I'm hearing too. What did you use for wiring?

It's in the planning stages still so I'm soaking in as much info as I can .

I wired it myself, really not that hard. I never did pull the gm harness off the engine/tranny combo I pulled out of the chevy truck.

Yea I had the same experience. It will be a few weeks until I can get back to working on my 80 , I'm fairly confident this module will fix it. I'm busy getting my 40 ready for moab right now, once that done I'm back to working on the 80.
i did some digging, looks like some older toyota cars used High level tacho what will need high voltage to run

i did some digging, looks like some older toyota cars used High level tacho what will need high voltage to run
That's what I read too. But I just bought a 93 cluster for 50 bucks so I will probably try to avoid using this module. I got ahold of a complete elocker setup, and the newer gauges have the locker lights.

That is what the instructions that came with the Dakota box say. Did you not hook to the "HI VOLT" output yet?

For those with tach issues, have you tried using a pull-up resistor? I have a 1k ohm pull up to Pin 48 on the E38 ECM. In HPT It is set to cranking Hi: 9, Low : 10 (As close as I can get to 3 pulses/rev with a 58x wheel) and have had no issues running my late model tach (1997) without the dakota digital driver. That said I cannot say it's not detrimental to either but it's the recommendation that HPT has for driving late model tachs and I suspect the wiring in the tach is a simple LSD to ground so it should be fine.

That is what the instructions that came with the Dakota box say. Did you not hook to the "HI VOLT" output yet?

it puts out only 15 V ant it is not enough to run the tac.

For those with tach issues, have you tried using a pull-up resistor? I have a 1k ohm pull up to Pin 48 on the E38 ECM. In HPT It is set to cranking Hi: 9, Low : 10 (As close as I can get to 3 pulses/rev with a 58x wheel) and have had no issues running my late model tach (1997) without the dakota digital driver. That said I cannot say it's not detrimental to either but it's the recommendation that HPT has for driving late model tachs and I suspect the wiring in the tach is a simple LSD to ground so it should be fine.

1991-1992 is totally different vs newer toyota tach, signal going in dakota digital is not the problem signal coming out is the problem
E 38 ECU sends 5 v signal so you need to set input to 4 cylinder on the dakota unit

Right but what is the early tach looking for? Is it looking for a B+ signal each time the tach fires? A variable voltage? I assume it’s not a CAN signal since even the new 80s aren’t.

Do you know what the anticipated voltage spike would be? That would be the only issue in figuring out how to duplicate the signal.
I don't. I have a module that is supposed to take the dakota digital signal and modify it with voltage spikes and the company has supposedly figured that out, but haven't tried it yet.

I don't. I have a module that is supposed to take the dakota digital signal and modify it with voltage spikes and the company has supposedly figured that out, but haven't tried it yet.
That would seem straight forward. Looking at it, depending on which LSx ECM you're running you may not need the Dakota Digital Adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom