8x Series V8 Swaps (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put in a L96 with a 6L90e. Using Marks as well. The diff is I made my own mounts. Why? Because I cut off the factory mounts before I realized you reuse those with Marks.

At this point after talking with Matt. I used the original cross member to help me set the engine location. The nice thing is I didn’t have to beat the passenger firewall to submission to get it all to fit. I have the normal pulley for the PS pump and have room. On the otherside the AC is tight but it can be removed as well. Also since I didn’t move the cross member the rear driveshaft still fits. Front doesn’t since I added Delta’s extended radius arms.

I also had plenty of room on the front for Derale fans. Pics below.

The showering wheel will solve the tap shift for me as well.

View attachment 3227481

View attachment 3227482

View attachment 3227483
Nice steering wheel! Interested to hear how it fits.

I'll toss my swap in here for the record...

Definitely happy with doing the swap!! All the late nights/weekends/etc.. worth it!!

Wiring took the longest time, since I integrated the swap into the existing fuse block... and learning how to do it... drove my time

Coming from 3FE, it's night and day...

3fe to 2UZ Swap
20230125_115038.jpg

Looks great, did you moi t your ecm behind the glove box? Or in it! Looks nice
Thank you. I only pulled the wiring harness through. I plan to put it somewhere behind though, but not quite there yet.

Will the shifter out of my 95 work with a 6l80 or do I need one out of a 91-92? I tried searching and could find the answer
Thanks

Will the shifter out of my 95 work with a 6l80 or do I need one out of a 91-92? I tried searching and could find the answer
Thanks
Will it work? Yes, but you will need to fab up mounts to hold the shifter cable to make it work. If I had to do it again, I may look at going with a 48" shifter cable instead of a 60". In fact I would consider a Novack shifter cable meant for a TJ. But that is me.

Lets talk wiring...

It looks like there are 4 or 5 of us that are just about in the same positions. Here is what I have and what I am planning. I have a couple questions too.
6.0 L96 6l90 into a 97 LX450. E38 ECU No Emissions

LS Harness:
I have most all of the standard things. Except I kept VVT.
I also added an oil and Trans cooler from Evil Energy. With those I added a Oil and Trans Temp sensor that go to Gauges in my Delta center console. Pics later after it is all installed.

Questions for this harness:
Fuel Pump - I plan to send the output of my new Fuel relay to the Green/Red wire that is under the brake booster and pull the Toyota relay. Assuming this will work.
Key accessory Ignition - This will go just under the steering wheel. ( I may be lucky as I have a wire here added by someone else that has a fuse on it that isn't used.).
ECM power will come from under the glove box.
For the Check Engine light. - Pin 68 on the X1 directly to the light in the Dash.
Back up lights - Not sure here
AC control 0 Not Sure Here
Tach - Splice into one of the injector wires and feed that to the DDD Box then to Tach?
Fan Relay(s) - Pin 17 and Pin 58 on the X1 control high and low speed
O2 Sensors - I am only running the front sensors.

LX450 Harness:
Oil Pressure - into Toyota Sensor on LS
Water Temp - into Toyota Sensor on LS
AC Wire - Did you guys use this to power your AC Clutch or use the LS Harness? Feels like this should go to the LS and then to AC.
There are a ton of other sensor wires on this harness. (Did you guys strip all of these out?)
Oil Level Light - Did anyone run this?
TCM to feed to the TC connections.

What am I missing? Sorry...if there is a post on this...I will happily go through it.

Thanks
@thatcabledude has a diagram on here on how he did it. I followed his diagram. I originally used the cable he suggested. But I then switched because the ends didn't work for what I had with my trans. Long story. So I ordered a shifter cable from Oreily. (Hurst I think.). I had also ordered Hurst shifter cable mounts. This was overkill and cost way more than it should.

Here is how I did it...along with a "learning"

Don't mind the crappy welds...lol

I made a bracket to hold the cable on Driver side.

IMG_7196.JPG

The shifter cable makes an S shape above the trans since your shifter drops on the passenger side. Here is my shoddy work on the passenger side. That sure is an ugly weld, but who cares...it will hold. This piece came with the Hurst kit that i bought and I bolted it to an ear on the trans...it kind of just worked. The key here is that you want these 2 sides of the cable to be as strait as possible so the shifting doesn't bind. This took me a while to get that where I wanted it.

Oh...and peep the TC shifter rod. I had to lengthen it to get it to be where I wanted it in the Delta center Console. If you are keeping your stock console...you prob won't have to do that. Maybe 1" longer. It is adjustable, but I couldn't get enough length out of it. (That's what she said.). You will have to make something to hold your TC shifter...the Marks Adapter just will not work without fabbing something up. Since I have a 97...I made a plate that I bolted on top. I did have to drill into and tap the adapter for 1 spot...it too is ugly, but it will hold and there is no slop on this guy.

IMG_7197.JPG

Now for the learning....in some posts here people have mentioned that you have to push hard to get the red line to line up with P on the shifter...My shifter was almost perfect except for that. However, I noticed very quickly that my shifter had a lot of slop in it. (No pictures of this.). The shifter screws onto a "roller" that that has the output screwed on to the other side. To keep these 2 pieces in position, the holes aren't round thus it should be idiot proof to put these pieces on. That is unless your shifter is wallowed out from years of use. Essentially what would happen is once I got all of the work done below...I could move the shifter into Drive before it would shift the trans into R.

To fix this...I got the welder out and I tacked the shifter onto the roller....its solid now. The best part of it all. I tacked it in the wrong spot originally so I had to grind that damn thing off and do it again...but now it is solid. I hope this helps. My Rig isn't moving on its own yet...so we will see if this holds up.

Lets talk wiring...

It looks like there are 4 or 5 of us that are just about in the same positions. Here is what I have and what I am planning. I have a couple questions too.
6.0 L96 6l90 into a 97 LX450. E38 ECU No Emissions

LS Harness:
I have most all of the standard things. Except I kept VVT.
I also added an oil and Trans cooler from Evil Energy. With those I added a Oil and Trans Temp sensor that go to Gauges in my Delta center console. Pics later after it is all installed.

Questions for this harness:
Fuel Pump - I plan to send the output of my new Fuel relay to the Green/Red wire that is under the brake booster and pull the Toyota relay. Assuming this will work.
Key accessory Ignition - This will go just under the steering wheel. ( I may be lucky as I have a wire here added by someone else that has a fuse on it that isn't used.).
ECM power will come from under the glove box.
For the Check Engine light. - Pin 68 on the X1 directly to the light in the Dash.
Back up lights - Not sure here
AC control 0 Not Sure Here
Tach - Splice into one of the injector wires and feed that to the DDD Box then to Tach?
Fan Relay(s) - Pin 17 and Pin 58 on the X1 control high and low speed
O2 Sensors - I am only running the front sensors.

LX450 Harness:
Oil Pressure - into Toyota Sensor on LS
Water Temp - into Toyota Sensor on LS
AC Wire - Did you guys use this to power your AC Clutch or use the LS Harness? Feels like this should go to the LS and then to AC.
There are a ton of other sensor wires on this harness. (Did you guys strip all of these out?)
Oil Level Light - Did anyone run this?
TCM to feed to the TC connections.

What am I missing? Sorry...if there is a post on this...I will happily go through it.
That’s a good list, since I am at the piling up parts stage I’m not much help. I do have this on my list to research

That’s a good list, since I am at the piling up parts stage I’m not much help. I do have this on my list to research
Thanks. I have seen that. The price for that box is stupid crazy. I will find another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

• afa
Back
Top Bottom