8x Series V8 Swaps (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this is probably common knowledge, but still wanted to post about it. I feel it’s ridiculous that Marks 4wd charges 1,600$ for a 4l80e adapter and it doesn’t even come close to lining up. I chatted with their customer support yesterday, and they say oh that’s for RHD models. I said that would be nice to know on the item description! I know it’s an easy fix, but for the money, I expect more. They also said well it depends on where you mount the motor. Not sure you could mount a 4l80 any more fwd! It would be through the radiator. Bottom line they know they should clarify the descriptions.

125E271F-313C-4EC2-8F5B-EA8F42DA98C6.jpeg

I know this is probably common knowledge, but still wanted to post about it. I feel it’s ridiculous that Marks 4wd charges 1,600$ for a 4l80e adapter and it doesn’t even come close to lining up. I chatted with their customer support yesterday, and they say oh that’s for RHD models. I said that would be nice to know on the item description! I know it’s an easy fix, but for the money, I expect more. They also said well it depends on where you mount the motor. Not sure you could mount a 4l80 any more fwd! It would be through the radiator. Bottom line they know they should clarify the descriptions.

View attachment 3242670

Ha.. "that’s for RHD models." They just wanted to get you off the phone...

It's an engine swap, nothing is suppose to align... its the name of the game.

Can anyone share their exhaust routing photos? Thanks!
I’m 3 linked. It was very tight to get the passenger side routed. Driver side goes over the rear output of the tcase.
74247C79-D581-449F-AED5-F89BF39C8229.jpeg
1163BABB-971F-42D5-A12F-F7D924D5FBC1.jpeg
957092F6-E676-466A-9BCD-7DBD21F3974D.jpeg
41E4FC1F-FC9A-4FC1-B87A-4CBC8E33811C.jpeg
66B055A4-DE67-4F07-95D7-9D1D377A7636.jpeg

Hey gang, Im at the dread phase of my swap...wiring. Ive made some serious headway, but have a few questions I'd like to get some consensus on. Mostly on trans integration. I have a 6.0 LQ4 - 4L80. Im digging into the neutral safety starting relay work and getting PRND2L indication to work also, seeing what the logic on tow/haul is. Oh and Hi/Lo input. I have a BLUE/RED GM ECM. I thinned out my GM harness using LT1 instructions.

I have the two plug MLPS on my trans.
What Ive go so far:
Start Relay operation will go from Toyota wires from NSS through E - G on GM 7 pin connector on trans - Ill use this as a signal wire to control a relay to supply higher current to GM start solenoid.

GM Tow/Haul mode - Im trying to see if I can use either the Toyota O/D switch or the ECT to activate this option. My concern is that really isn't a switch on the GM vehicles but a digital signal, so Im not sure if a constant style switch from Toyota will work supplying either GND or PWR. Or use the ECT switch to activate C1 Blue ECM pin - 71 which is performance mode, not really sure.

Hi/LO - I assume the input needs to go from the toyota center diff HI/LO switch to GM C2 red connector pin 16 - 4WD switch signal. Any know if that needs to be power or ground. Ill look to see what toyota supplies.

Lastly I know that my shift lever is PRND2L - which doesn't line up exact with GM 4l80. Which Im ok with it really being PRND32. I can get over that. I really want to get my indicator lights to work. I can see the toyota uses 12v from the trans portion switch. GM isn't that simple to plug and play, from what I can figure.
What I have so far is using the 7 pin outputs of E-G for park, C-F for Rev which can power back up lights. Issue is getting the D,2,L. My super smart friend who is doing a FJ62, figured out the logic on the 4 pin A,B,C,P which uses the internal manifold switches. We figure we can use a low voltage relay board to piggy back this signals to supply power to the toyota indicator panel.

We really need a wiring sticky!! Here are some pics to follow. Thanks for any input or feed back. If anyone wants to chat, I can do that as well!

Hey gang, Im at the dread phase of my swap...wiring. Ive made some serious headway, but have a few questions I'd like to get some consensus on. Mostly on trans integration. I have a 6.0 LQ4 - 4L80. Im digging into the neutral safety starting relay work and getting PRND2L indication to work also, seeing what the logic on tow/haul is. Oh and Hi/Lo input. I have a BLUE/RED GM ECM. I thinned out my GM harness using LT1 instructions.

What Ive go so far:
Start Relay operation will go from Toyota wires from NSS through E - G on GM 7 pin connector on trans - Ill use this as a signal wire to control a relay to supply higher current to GM start solenoid.

GM Tow/Haul mode - Im trying to see if I can use either the Toyota O/D switch or the ECT to activate this option. My concern is that really isn't a switch on the GM vehicles but a digital signal, so Im not sure if a constant style switch from Toyota will work supplying either GND or PWR. Or use the ECT switch to activate C1 Blue ECM pin - 71 which is performance mode, not really sure.

Hi/LO - I assume the input needs to go from the toyota center diff HI/LO switch to GM C2 red connector pin 16 - 4WD switch signal. Any know if that needs to be power or ground. Ill look to see what toyota supplies.

Lastly I know that my shift lever is PRND2L - which doesn't line up exact with GM 4l80. Which Im ok with it really being PRND32. I can get over that. I really want to get my indicator lights to work. I can see the toyota uses 12v from the trans portion switch. GM isn't that simple to plug and play, from what I can figure.
What I have so far is using the 7 pin outputs of E-G for park, C-F for Rev which can power back up lights. Issue is getting the D,2,L. My super smart friend who is doing a FJ62, figured out the logic on the 4 pin A,B,C,P which uses the internal manifold switches. We figure we can use a low voltage relay board to piggy back this signals to supply power to the toyota indicator panel.

We really need a wiring sticky!! Here are some pics to follow. Thanks for any input or feed back. If anyone wants to chat, I can do that as well!
The tow/haul mode needs a momentary switch, not a constant. You need a 7 quadrant shifter afaik. To get the shift indicator on the dash working you can use a dakota digital indicator switch. Again you will need a 7 quadrant indicator. I've heard of people using a 6 quadrant but I don't know how.

Thanks for the input. Are you recommending to be 7 position shifter to just get all the gears? I’m ok with them being off 1. For the DD are you talking about the transmission one with its piggy back sensor?

What Ive go so far:

See my post from a few months ago on how to use the Toyota ECT switch to control tow/haul mode - at least on the blue-green ECU.

Thanks for the input. Are you recommending to be 7 position shifter to just get all the gears? I’m ok with them being off 1. For the DD are you talking about the transmission one with its piggy back sensor?
You can cut an additional shifter detent in the stock shifter, but you won't have a indicator for it unless you somehow modify the indicator or something.

Thank you everyone for the replies! Only question left is, what method they used to as an input for 4wd to the GM ecm, if they even did. I see which pin it goes to, just not sure if it needs to be a 12v or ground etc. Thanks again everyone.

Having fun w/ the power yesterday

Having fun w/ the power yesterday

I took my 80 on the snow run once. The power makes the snow a blast. I was extremely close to totalling the rig though on one hill. I cannot believe my 80 survived. It was such a close call I turned around and went home.

What Ive go so far:

I too am at wiring. I haven’t felt overwhelmed until now.

Curious how much you are stripping from the original Toyota harness.

Currently I have oil pressure. And the ABS and the trans connector. Both for TC and TCM. Curious if I need to keep the Toyota TCM connector to repeat what you are doing.

Thank you everyone for the replies! Only question left is, what method they used to as an input for 4wd to the GM ecm, if they even did. I see which pin it goes to, just not sure if it needs to be a 12v or ground etc. Thanks again everyone.
Well I believe both the 4l60e and the 4l80e have no way of knowing if it's in 4low. So it should shift fairly decent without a 4wd signal. My 4l60e does decent in 4low. I usually shift manually offroad so I haven't had much motivation to look into wiring the 4low signal. I'm sure it would shift better. However my 80 currently in 4low shifts very similar to how my 3rd gen 4runner did in 4low. My 3rd gen just wasn't super smooth in 4low and I got used to it. Wiring the proper AC signal, cruise control, the shifter, heat shields, and gauges personally I think are far more vital.

Currently I have oil pressure. And the ABS and the trans connector. Both for TC and TCM. Curious if I need to keep the Toyota TCM connector to repeat what you are doing.

All I kept so far was the transfer case pass through and all the trans NSS wiring. Not sure any ABS was connected to engine harness. For signal, I kept water temp, a/c connector (to splice on gm), oil pressure wiring and sensor. That’s about it for me.

All I kept so far was the transfer case pass through and all the trans NSS wiring. Not sure any ABS was connected to engine harness. For signal, I kept water temp, a/c connector (to splice on gm), oil pressure wiring and sensor. That’s about it for me.
Thanks. There is an ABS datalink or whatever. I didn’t cut that off.

The AC and oil pressure should come off of a secondary harness that is under the original air filter. At least mine does.

But assuming we are talking the same. Curious how you plan to get a signal to the dash lights even with a board. Unless you are pulling from the 4L80

What Ive go so far:

One thing I’m going to suggest is copy the tow/haul “tune” and save it as the normal tune and don’t worry about it.

Also, skip trying to wire up a 4low signal. Not needed.

Well I believe both the 4l60e and the 4l80e have no way of knowing if it's in 4low. So it should shift fairly decent without a 4wd signal. My 4l60e does decent in 4low. I usually shift manually offroad so I haven't had much motivation to look into wiring the 4low signal. I'm sure it would shift better. However my 80 currently in 4low shifts very similar to how my 3rd gen 4runner did in 4low. My 3rd gen just wasn't super smooth in 4low and I got used to it. Wiring the proper AC signal, cruise control, the shifter, heat shields, and gauges personally I think are far more vital.
This.

Thanks for the inputs! Waiting for my transfer case output bearings and seals so I can get the driveline tightened down and move on from engine mounting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom