89 4Runner Rescue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Recently found this 1989 22RE 5 spd for sale nearby. My daily is a 98 100 series LC, but I've been wanting something with a 22RE in it for some time. My dad has an 84 pickup, and my brother had an 88 or 89 pickup. When I saw this truck for sale I felt ready for a project, so I bought it, event though it needs A LOT of love, and has some rust.

I’m a total newbie when it comes to these trucks, so bear with me.

The p/o advertised that it needed a headgasket, and he sold me a spare head, timing kit, oil pump, water pump, and gasket kit with the truck. I could barely sleep thinking of all the things I want to do with it.

IMG_82963.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG
IMG_8294.JPG

Last edited:
I have had some interest in the truck @ $3500. It would be cool to do a quick flip for 75% profit, but I think right now I want to get it running and enjoy it a bit before deciding whether I want to keep it or flip it. Today I pulled the head, and will take it in to the shop along w the spare and see which they think I should mount back up, and have them resurfaced.

The p/o sold it bc he said he couldn't get the crank bolt off, and it was definitely on there but I managed to break it loose. I'll post some pics of the removal of the timing parts and head.

This is how the engine bay looked upon purchase. Already had the dual timing chain. P/o gave me a single kit, which I will install. The alternator and whole left side of the engine/bay and frame rail are caked w oil and grime.
IMG_8320.JPG

Last edited:
This is how I was able to break the crank bolt loose. Luckily I purchased a crank pulley holder tool for my 100 last year, so I pulled the front part of the crank pulley (4bolts), mounted it and put an 18" breaker bar on it under the driver frame rail. Then I used my 24" breaker on the actual bolt, put a foot on the bull bar and gave it hell and it finally broke loose. It was a SOB for sure, but I'm surprised the p/o sold bc of that.

IMG_8323.JPG

Last edited:
I took a lot of photos while pulling the head, so I will post those when I have a little more time to go through all of them.

Looks like a dual chain upgrade.
What's it look like behind the timing cover?
Yeah I noticed that when I looked at the new kit, the new kit is not dual, but I will install it anyway. Going to replace the timing cover while Im in there. Looks decent in
timing case, messy rtv job though.
IMG_8331.JPG
IMG_8332.JPG

Last edited:
I guess the breaker bar - starter motor trick isn't as well known as I thought it was. Not that it does you any good now, but disconnect the dist. from the ignitor so it won't start, socket on the crank bolt with the breaker bar laying on the left frame rail. Give it a quick crank with the starter. I've used this trick maybe 1/2 dozen times and it works every time.

I guess the breaker bar - starter motor trick isn't as well known as I thought it was. Not that it does you any good now, but disconnect the dist. from the ignitor so it won't start, socket on the crank bolt with the breaker bar laying on the left frame rail. Give it a quick crank with the starter. I've used this trick maybe 1/2 dozen times and it works every time.
You, and a half million other folks.

I wanted to try the starter trick, but the battery in the truck is dead and it seemed a little easier to mount the pulley holder tool than to put the battery in and jump it. Plus I think bc the ad said the crank bolt was stuck I felt like muscling it off 😅

Last edited:
After getting the timing cover off, everything came apart very easily. The spare head looks a lot better than the one that came out of the truck. If anyone has any tips for getting the block and cylinders nice and clean I would really appreciate them. Right now Im thinking of pressure washer and compressed air and then polishing it all up.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

P/o Supplied me with a Nissan Water pump, OSK single row timing kit, LC Engineering Oil Pump, and Stone gasket set. Should I shelf any of these in favor of OE or another manufacturer? I'm particularly concerned with the head gasket itself.
image0 (1).jpeg

I've had three FelPro head gaskets fail on me (I didn't install any of them). I only run OEM head gaskets. The only other part I'm going to suggest OEM is the timing chain. You might be OK with the gears. I had an aftermarket chain (installed by a reputable individual, again not me) break on the way to Baja, in a raging blizzard. It was a bummer having to abandon my truck in Flagstaff while I jumped into a buddy's truck and continue.

As far as oil and water pump, I only run OEM, or AISIN aftermarket (same thing).

I've had three FelPro head gaskets fail on me (I didn't install any of them). I only run OEM head gaskets. The only other part I'm going to suggest OEM is the timing chain. You might be OK with the gears. I had an aftermarket chain (installed by a reputable individual, again not me) break on the way to Baja, in a raging blizzard. It was a bummer having to abandon my truck in Flagstaff while I jumped into a buddy's truck and continue.

As far as oil and water pump, I only run OEM, or AISIN aftermarket (same thing).
Okay, thanks for the heads up. Is there a website you like? I have the oil/water pumps, timing chain and tensioner, head gasket all oem priced @ $325 shipped from partsouq.com

I've been getting stuff lately at Claremont Toyota in Claremont, CA. Discount has been around 30%, with free shipping on orders over $75. There are several discount dealers now offering free shipping. For AISIN aftermarket I use Rockauto.com, and the MUD discount.

5% Discount Code: 5C1AF1F449C1AE
Expires: July 14, 2022

I ran a carfax on the vehicle today. I kook’d it by not doing that before purchase, but not much I can do about it now.

Says last reported odometer reading 399k back in 2013. No telling how many miles are really on it, odometer reads 120k or so.

Still want to get it running, but it is a bit defeating. If there are any recommendations on additional steps to take w the motor and trans I’d love to hear em

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom