'88 FJ62: CEL does not light on ON (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.denalihwy.com
This regards my 1988 FJ62 with original 3F-E engine.

I've been running through the electricals trying to determine why the engine cranks beautifully (and I smell gas so I believe it's not a fuel pump issue) but I get no firing. No sparky at plugs; no voltage at igniter wires as they enter the coil; I pulled the igniter and got 0Ω resistance where I should be getting (___?___). My 1988 Toyota Repair Manual gives only Ω #s for coil, not its igniter, but it shouldn't be 0......right?).

Bought a replacement igniter with a NIB coil from cruiserparts.com for the price of a frontal lobotomy....no change. Hmm. Checked resistance of igniter leads upstream of igniter, get the following:

With battery disconnected, the upstream contacts provide:
B to B-G: 30.5Ω when battery connected: 52.0Ω
B to B-L: 34.5Ω =================> 1.3-1.5Ω
B-L to B-G: 6.0Ω ==================> 0Ω

Finally remembering I have read on Mud but cannot find good reference, I looked at the CEL. It does not illuminate either with the key at ON or, not surprisingly, START. So, from the 1988 Repair Manual, p. FI-74, I took a look at the ICU's surprisingly exposed relay - on right wheel well just behind the battery.
0018C5A0-B9E5-464C-8DA1-21AFCF4E88F1_1_201_a.jpeg

When extracted from the vehicle and bench tested, it is nominal when uncharged (see below); applying 12V it "clicks", closing the relay
B44075E2-41BD-4F8C-9CB9-18DD9AA1BA0E_1_201_a.jpeg

and indeed get continuity between #a 2 & 4. Great: so the original relay is still good.

The 15A fuse for the EFI, located in the lower dashboard to the left of the steering wheel is good.

===> BUT....where the blazes does one locate that "MAIN 0.85R fusible link" as shown in the upper picture?????? <=== That appears all that remains to test, other than to learn if the entire EFI/ECU is still good:censor:

Thanks in advance for any help -

fusible links are right off the + battery terminal

Right...but I knew that:doh:.

Okay, so I detached the two sets of them:
63544D30-9270-4A47-9C00-E49CD55BBC2A.jpeg

not knowing the destination of any of the three on the left or the one on the right. ALL of them pass continuity at 0Ω, but, although the one on the right looks perfect visually, each of the three wires coming from the left have cracked-so-bare-wire-shows issues*. I can NOT see any indication of heat damage, other than that the electrical tape wrapped around just aft of the post connector was extremely brittle - but so one would think on a 34-yo wrap. I'm not eager to take off the heavy-duty shrink wrap behind the connector...but should I?

Does anyone know if this kind of link is as unobtainable as so many other 1988 items? Or easily swapped out for a new replacement? Or other testing I should do?

*AND: my sister & niece, who kept the vehicle for 18 months as we were between moves, kept reporting battery discharging issues. Alternator not getting its go-juice because of some of these links, perhaps????

Thanks as ever -

Whoops! While I beat you by a few dozen minutes, I meant, of course, @ToyotaMatt, not @cruisermatt. Apologies to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom