Builds Nemesis - a deviant undertaking underway (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent a few hours finalizing the body shop changes yesterday and got the ‘can do’ from my body guy. Purists will consider the changes blasphemy: Ordered 1975 for Bronco tail sheet metal, tail light housings, side marker housings and deciding between ICON’s vs Wild Horses guards.

E1F0C700-C0F5-4415-B770-1DFFA390ACE9.jpeg

C83CB058-7011-41D6-B379-CA693D6C3864.jpeg

AC956006-D9E5-41A6-AFEF-64EF1D79C641.jpeg

Knee deep & past the point of return now!

E5B819DA-4F4A-4F0B-A736-D67B0B65F5FA.jpeg

8F64C234-BC19-4135-B5ED-4B7B7D63AC94.jpeg

E17F16B7-9860-4BC9-96F2-A422FDE1CE6E.png

A1B5B0E1-A982-42EC-B9BE-0FC30084D981.jpeg

Lizard skin and Second Skin due to arrive Monday/Tuesday; Bronco Panels/light assemblies/etc Thur/Fri - so the difficult body changes are solidified and underway.

Two more difficult decision to make that are killing me, one more than the other:

1. Color. Staying in the silver family. After looking over 30+ metallic silvers, think I narrowed it down to Lexus Atomic Silver, Lexus Silver Lining Metallic, Silver Flare Metallic (2021 Corvette).

I like the lighter silvers b/c easy to clean, hide dirt/scratches, timeless; like the darker silver/Atomic silver b/c of the hue differences in different lighting; also, like the black accessories on a darker silver vs the lighter silvers.

2. Engine/tranny. This is the one that has caused me the most sleepless nights in this build. Really, really, really wanted to keep it toyota/lexus but a) Mosley Motors is a year out at present and b) have been told by the three people I trust the most swapping any of the Toyota/Lexus 8's is both a PITA and even more expensive.

2a. So, that leads me to other choices. I currently have a LS1 with just over 50K on it. Zero negative history, runs excellent, has all accessories, harness/ECU, etc. and I've had it for +/- 4-5 years. Aesthetically, it just doesn't match what I envisioned and it just doesn't push my '**** yeah' button. But, It's already paid for and aside from changing to a serpentine system, changing the intake and getting a valve job, not much more to do.

LS1 cost to complete: +/- 2.5-3.5K

2b. Lq9/Lq4. Can buy a short block, finish the build, have something I could live with.

Lq9/4 cost to complete: 7-8K

2c. 6.2 CTS-V. Found one locally, excellent price, low miles, tranny/harnesses/ecu/DBW/drive accessories/etc; determining if this will pose a fitment issue. Although I like the whipple SC better (it's the sound, like sexy time with every press of the go pedal) but **** it, a SC is a SC, so the CTS-V 6.2 would be legit.

Estimated cost: 12-14K if everything is as stated.

The drama revolves around this - if I go all out on the driveline, I'll have to modify some of the other changes I want to make.

**** me. . .

S. I'd vote for the atomic silver. has more depth and think it look better on the 60 vs the lighter colors.
Nelson...

Appreciate the input and I’m leaning more for the Atomic than the others. The Vette color is pretty unique but it has a slight goldish glimmer in certain light situations that if not present would’ve been my first choice.

Hope all is well with u & yrs...

Shane

So…while chasing down a LX570 in atomic silver, saw this on a Macan. Back to the body shop, pulled paint codes and corresponding cards. Atomic Silver vs Aventurine Metallic Green. Not sure what strain Porsche paint guys were smoking when they put this crazy combo together, but dang puff puff pass…amazing in person. I have til Monday to decide…

49855920-FA67-4CA5-A6E6-B036B71D0606.jpeg

93F2E948-3E68-499F-ACF6-85002FF88D1C.jpeg

Last edited:
In my opinion a lot of blingy parts just takes extra time and money, but doesn't contribute a lot to the finished project. It can also add uneeded complexity that is harder to retain overall reliability. I disagree with making it a pavement queen. You will get much more enjoyment out if it if you build it for at least mild trails. While that porsche in the post above is sweet, it will sit in the garage most of the time and be rarely driven. Do you really want a land cruiser like that? Why not back off on the fancy stuff a bit, and build it to be used. You will get it finished way faster. Which means actually enjoying using it. While that guy with the porsche is waiting for the perfect day to pull it out of the garage to go get some coffee, you'll be out on some cool trail exploring or on a road trip. Something to think about. As far as the motor, put a supercharger on the 5.7 and call it a day. My 2 cents.

In my opinion a lot of blingy parts just takes extra time and money, but doesn't contribute a lot to the finished project. It can also add uneeded complexity that is harder to retain overall reliability. I disagree with making it a pavement queen. You will get much more enjoyment out if it if you build it for at least mild trails. While that porsche in the post above is sweet, it will sit in the garage most of the time and be rarely driven. Do you really want a land cruiser like that? Why not back off on the fancy stuff a bit, and build it to be used. You will get it finished way faster. Which means actually enjoying using it. While that guy with the porsche is waiting for the perfect day to pull it out of the garage to go get some coffee, you'll be out on some cool trail exploring or on a road trip. Something to think about. As far as the motor, put a supercharger on the 5.7 and call it a day. My 2 cents.
Appreciate the input/opinion. The Porsche was simply used as an example to demonstrate the color in different light conditions. My 60 will be primarily a pavement queen, not so much by design but more to how it will actually be utilized. The parts I'm putting together aren't necessarily for bling, just an overall look I personally want to achieve. She's going to be a DD for a while but will also be used on the property to pull logs, tow trailers, go camping, etc. - my point being while she will primarily be used as a commuter, I'm not keeping her in the garage waiting for dry days. I also understand your opinion because I know guys like you described, I just don't fit that profile.

Shane

Now that I've decided on the color, she's in final prep to pull body for blasting, heat/sound spray & paint. Woot.

FJ60SandBlastPrep2.jpg

FJ60SandBlastPrep.jpg

And the build gets one step closer. . .

Ordered but didn't like the 75' Bronco side marker lights. Went back to the drawing board. Found a company called Predator, Inc., specializing in Hummer accessories. Spoke to the owner, Paul, great guy with tons of knowledge, a 60 previous owner/admirer, and super easy to work with.

He makes a side marker multifunction light for H1's but I didn't think these lights would work initially b/c of their size - HUGE. Paul emailed me the other day and sent some pics of a smaller rectangular design he is utilizing on one of his current builds. Still large compared to the 60's side markers. Spoke to my body guy and he had a perfect solution: If they look ridiculous on the 60 as is, paint the surrounds body colored and problem solved. I love working with people that are more creative, smarter, and higher functioning than myself.

So. . .these lights run amber (front), red (rear) and have a separate function of being a spreader light (can't remember but I think they're 1200lm each). Once they arrive and are installed, I'll post some pics. . .

Link for general info:

Pics of the smaller rectangular units described above.

Predator Light FJ60.jpg
Predator lights 2 FJ60.jpg

Shane

Looking for a couple of unicorn parts:

2 ea. 55073-90A00 (water extraction nozzle) & 2 ea. 90910-04012 (hose for water extraction nozzle).

Willing to pay $$$ or trade (NOS OEM or a kidney)

Unicorn Parts.png

Initial CAD reps hit the inbox today - STOKED!

FJ60 Mirror Mount 1.png
FJ60 mirror mount 2.png

So. . .today. . .stopped by my body shop and **** yeah, I'm next in line for the lift and metal fab guy! Not saying that's going to be tomorrow but it's one step closer nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom