80 series 'ute chops' popular here in Oz but what about the USA etc.? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They kind of always get bent over backwards unfortunately.

In my day to day i do at least 5 things that would get me arrested in Aus 😂

You're such a badass!

emoji-your.gif

Mamma must be so proud of her little felon :flipoff2:

I’m not a felon, all those things are legal where I live, no issues 🤷‍♂️

My mom would be arrested there too 😂

USA has 4 times the rate of incarceration and similar difference in police/ public interactions.

But, hey, enjoy your freedoms.

I'll continue to enjoy my perpetual state of oppression and suffering while I walk on my choice of numerous deserted beaches 30-45 minutes from our largest city in our communist state. lol

Last edited:
@halffzj80 post a couple of yours. Its coming along nicely!!!

I think this is the best double cab chop I have seen.

2F031181-9940-49CB-A22E-C2BD7F80AFC3.png

This one is Aussie wild. 😂

D63D24E5-F597-4191-9DF4-D1E90C39F551.png

All kinds of chops can be done, both of these I think are good.

11BA406E-C553-4B1E-865C-954D27A8E325.png

58EEB64B-2302-4D28-8F08-6EA92E8CC70D.png

I get what ya all are saying about hack jobs, I have seen way worse than this cut and cap.

6E71AD29-8C20-47F6-8EE9-F96ABCEA9000.jpeg

I think an 80 Ute/pickup is cool. You eliminate a big problem when you start wheeling an 80 on anything past mild, rear body damage. The only downfall I see is of you like to sleep in the back, most Ute configs will kill that.

If you are just going for rock crawling buggy I don’t see why you wouldn’t do up the suspension right, ie 3-4-link front and rear. I have found when you aim for rock crawling and buggy trails you just keep going until it is a trailer queen. There is also a place for the hammered rusty crusty 80 somebody does a buggy on the cheap and drives it to death off-road.

Here is the thing though, Nissan is the only other company that built a solid front axle coil cab ute-pickup. Besides the big three of course, Dodge being the only of them?

Anyways a coil cab Patrol ute is rare, Nissan didn’t build a lot. Toyota never did since the 70-series is still leaf rear. Bolt in Aussie rear coil conversion kits for them run $25k and are kind of meh in my opinion.

So an 80 Ute begins to make more sense when you want to use it as a “do-all” platform with the benefits of rear coils. Hence why 80 and 105 Ute chops are popular in Australia. I personally like them with an extended wheelbase.

Cheers

Last edited:
Here is another reason to do an 80 Ute conversion, we can’t have these.

0606A8E7-3498-498B-8D4E-8C48E1CFEC11.jpeg
5057924B-50A1-4965-A491-9543E13959B7.jpeg

I even think the 200-series chops the Aussies do are cool though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

I think the fact that "touring" Australians tend to camp in tents while "overlanding" Americans tend to use their vehicles more plays a role in it.

Reactions: Nay
Here is another reason to do an 80 Ute conversion, we can’t have these.

I even think the 200-series chops the Aussies do are cool though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers
79s are awesome, but again the price is over the top for something that uses 30yo 80 series interior parts, IMO anyway. A used 1VD engine goes somewhere around $2500 USD on marketplace, that in a chopped 80 would be hilarious. The 79s PVS are building are probably the coolest truck you can buy over here, but get ready to spend big bucks to get the thing legal. Dual cab 200s are real nice, see a lot of em getting about up in QLD, 300s are already getting done.

2022-Toyota-Landcruiser-300-creative-conversions-dual-cab-HERO.jpg

I think the fact that "touring" Australians tend to camp in tents while "overlanding" Americans tend to use their vehicles more plays a role in it.
On a clear night my roll up swag sits on the roof tray, on a wet night it goes under the car. For extended stays I get real fancy and string a tarp up between some trees. I like being able to go exploring in the car without having to pack up awnings and tents, especially at night.

79s are awesome, but again the price is over the top for something that uses 30yo 80 series interior parts, IMO anyway. A used 1VD engine goes somewhere around $2500 USD on marketplace, that in a chopped 80 would be hilarious. The 79s PVS are building are probably the coolest truck you can buy over here, but get ready to spend big bucks to get the thing legal. Dual cab 200s are real nice, see a lot of em getting about up in QLD, 300s are already getting done.

View attachment 3286977

On a clear night my roll up swag sits on the roof tray, on a wet night it goes under the car. For extended stays I get real fancy and string a tarp up between some trees. I like being able to go exploring in the car without having to pack up awnings and tents, especially at night.

I personally like to set up camps & break it down fast. I am not into big camp setups that take hours to setup or break down. Besides sleeping in the back of my Cruiser (one of my preferred methods for quick and light) I have hung a hammock off the side of my Cruisers. I have done over five weeks straight in the hammock and for me it is the next best thing to sleeping in the back for quick and easy. I find when it is hung right, I get a fantastic nights sleep.

IMG_2285.JPG

Panama 2.jpg

When the weather is bad or high winds, I used a ground tent. My current 80 is a sleep inside Cruiser, I am building an 80 Ute though and plan to do the hammock off the side with it.

Cheers

D63D24E5-F597-4191-9DF4-D1E90C39F551.png
Got a link for this one?

I wanted to build a 6x6 80 for ages. I had a collection of pics on my old laptop of a few 6x6 80s, and every possible 6x6bsuspension and drive line configuration I could find.

If done right, they would be the ultimate travel rig.

Not good in tight quarters though, and they suffer from bad rear steer if flexed up hard because almost every suspension configuration has the rear axles linked as a bogie.
Hard to link them independently with a decent amount of articulation without a large space between rear wheels.
Plus, a locked bogie drive in the rear drive them forward hard. Very difficult to steer when fully locked in the rear

I think this is the best double cab chop I have seen.

View attachment 3286885

View attachment 3286886

All kinds of chops can be done, both of these I think are good.

View attachment 3286915
View attachment 3286916

I get what ya all are saying about hack jobs, I have seen way worse than this cut and cap.

View attachment 3286918

I think an 80 Ute/pickup is cool. You eliminate a big problem when you start wheeling an 80 on anything past mild, rear body damage. The only downfall I see is of you like to sleep in the back, most Ute configs will kill that.

If you are just going for rock crawling buggy I don’t see why you wouldn’t do up the suspension right, ie 3-4-link front and rear. I have found when you aim for rock crawling and buggy trails you just keep going until it is a trailer queen. There is also a place for the hammered rusty crusty 80 somebody does a buggy on the cheap and drives it to death off-road.

Here is the thing though, Nissan is the only other company that built a solid front axle coil cab ute-pickup. Besides the big three of course, Dodge being the only of them?

Anyways a coil cab Patrol ute is rare, Nissan didn’t build a lot. Toyota never did since the 70-series is still leaf rear. Bolt in Aussie rear coil conversion kits for them run $25k and are kind of meh in my opinion.

So an 80 Ute begins to make more sense when you want to use it as a “do-all” platform with the benefits of rear coils. Hence why 80 and 105 Ute chops are popular in Australia. I personally like them with an extended wheelbase.

Cheers

See, there's some good examples there. Formed rear corners on the cab, quarter windows that look like they belong etc.

Cabs hacked off square at the back with the cut down rear door just welded shut just look half assed

The first gen crew cab tundra has always seemed like a good platform to me. 2uz and various cab configurations. Very reliable trucks.
View attachment 3287034
If only a solid axle and boxed frame. Someday Im gonna build one because I dont like money or retirement!! :D:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom