80 series 'ute chops' popular here in Oz but what about the USA etc.? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We just got the Ranger back over here. Unfortunately, no manual, and no diesel option here. What a crock!
I'm not a fan of the 2.0L diesels in em, I'd choose a petrol any day. The 3.2 diesel was a winner. I have a special hatred for Ranger Raptor drivers over here.

For the price of a new 79 I could buy a real nice 80, chop it however I please, FTE swap and then load it with all the bells and whistles quicker and cheaper than a new 79. That could justify chopping an 80 for me.

I'm not a fan of the 2.0L diesels in em, I'd choose a petrol any day. The 3.2 diesel was a winner. I have a special hatred for Ranger Raptor drivers over here.

For the price of a new 79 I could buy a real nice 80, chop it however I please, FTE swap and then load it with all the bells and whistles quicker and cheaper than a new 79. That could justify chopping an 80 for me.

Plus there are people waiting for 70s that they ordered in 2020.

We've only just started getting Ram's and Silverado's over here, seeing them everywhere now. The only decent choice before them was a 79 series or downsizing to midsize utes like the Hilux or Ranger.
And the RAM's are imported LHD vehicles, then converted in Australian to RHD. They are not manufactured RHD from the outset. Dunno if Silverado's are made RHD at the factory.

What happens to all the LHD componentry from the RAM's is anyone's guess - maybe shipped back to the US. But RAM's might have no or hardly any RHD specific spare parts available.

At least there are loads of 80's here. So heaps of 'carcasses' for chopping or modding, if you have the resources.

To buy a new 79 series you have two choices - buy one already on a lot, or wait 12 to 24 months if the config you want isn't already in dealer network inventories. And the prices are high - most base + option configs price out to A$100k or higher. But they are a lifetime purchase.

Last edited:
And the RAM's are imported LHD vehicles, then converted in Australian to RHD. They are not manufactured RHD from the outset. Dunno if Silverado's are made RHD at the factory.

What happens to all the LHD componentry from the RAM's is anyone's guess - maybe shipped back to the US. But RAM's might have no or hardly any RHD specific spare parts available.

At least there are loads of 80's here. So heaps of 'carcasses' for chopping or modding, if you have the resources.

To buy a new 79 series you have two choices - buy one already on a lot, or wait 12 to 24 months if the config you want isn't already in dealer network inventories. And the prices are high - most base + option configs price out to A$100k or higher. But they are a lifetime purchase.
They convert Rams to RHD?!?!!? That seems silly.
I get that everything is set up for RHD vehicles down there, but converting something that was never RHD seems dumb.
I have a friend here that only owns RHD Toyotas. He's been known to do through drive thrus in reverse. He has a RHD 80, 71, Mega Cruiser and a Toyota Century

I had some good lamb chops recently, but it's been a while since I've had a ute chop!!

I think most people just aren't into that sort of a massive change to the back end. Back in the day, Slee did that sweet ute changeout on an 80 series, but I remember them saying it was an incredible amount of work, and it wasn't recommended.

Now that more of the alloy trays are coming over from Australia, perhaps people will lead more into it, but in the past, even flat bed ute trays were super uncommon, even though they're so much more versatile than the regular style-side ute beds.

Photo from Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/jon_at_comeup/

Screenshot 2023-03-29 095007.png

They convert Rams to RHD?!?!!? That seems silly.

Classic cars that are LHD and are older than a certain year ( can't remember the year) are allowed to be registered.
New cars have to comply with Australian Design Rules ( ADRs, equivalent to your DOT).

the price of the Rams is even sillier than doing the conversion.

List price, they range from AUD $85k to $265k (USD $60k to $180k)

I can't say I've seen a chopped 80 in person, but my Aussie style 62 Series Ute (Fire Truck) turns a ton of heads. It's a very unique style in the US.

1680106596373.png

-Rob

Yes!! I am a fan. . .well it took a few times to see it to know it's what I wanted. I have a "perfectly good 80", so I had to buy the right one for the right price for the chop. It's a bit of work but I'm also doing a LS swap, getting the tray built, and currently deployed.

It's still in the works right now.
P1010611.JPG
P1010625.JPG
P1010659.JPG
P1010630.JPG

Not an 80, but I have a hilarious 60 chopped into a truck. I'm still working on bringing it back to working order and fixing the little things. Then, starting in on cosmetic appeal!
FJ65.PNG
FJ65.jpg

Considering how bad the rams are, that is hilarious. We call ram trucks "shipping containers for the cummins"...

You people...

Classic cars that are LHD and are older than a certain year ( can't remember the year) are allowed to be registered.
New cars have to comply with Australian Design Rules ( ADRs, equivalent to your DOT).

the price of the Rams is even sillier than doing the conversion.

List price, they range from AUD $85k to $265k (USD $60k to $180k)
Man, y'all get bent over when it comes to your car laws

Man, y'all get bent over when it comes to your car laws
They kind of always get bent over backwards unfortunately.

In my day to day i do at least 5 things that would get me arrested in Aus 😂

Yes!! I am a fan. . .well it took a few times to see it to know it's what I wanted. I have a "perfectly good 80", so I had to buy the right one for the right price for the chop. It's a bit of work but I'm also doing a LS swap, getting the tray built, and currently deployed.

It's still in the works right now.
View attachment 3285458View attachment 3285455View attachment 3285456View attachment 3285459

This is the way. I think it’s all in how the tray looks, lots of them here just have a standard box section Ute tray slapped on the back, it just looks out of place.

Yeah, I didn't care for the 2.0 either. The 3.2 is a whole different story. I wish they would offer that option here. I love a 5 cylinder diesel in a small/mid-size truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom