80 Series Front End Rebuild - Sticker Shock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1996 LC. Got it when it had 110K miles. Currently has 325K miles. Never abused or four wheeling. Just received a quote from a reputable LC shop. Have sticker shock and could use another expert opinion. Does this all need to be replaced to get a reliable front end?

Here are the details...

Front axle disassembled, cleaned and inspected. Both outer axle shafts (birfields) are extremely loose and have chipped cages that holds the ball bearings (reason for the clicking), both inner axle shafts have worn seal surfaces, both spindles have worn seal surfaces and the drivers spindle has a worn brass bushing that the outer axle shaft spins in, both hub flanges have worn splines and wheel bearings are pitted.

New OEM parts prices:

Outer axle shaft- $1050 each (x2)
Inner right axle shaft- $176
Inner left axle shaft- $340
Spindle- $370 each (x2)
Hub flange- $89 (x2)
Wheel bearing set- $350

Those sound like OEM Toyota prices, and a legit list. Should need trunions as well. Not a ton of cruiser shops around, and OEM parts definitely last. A worn out front axle is expensive to refresh with OEM parts. Some shops dont feel comfortable using aftermarket stuff. It can come back to bite them. Early parts failure can also lend to upset customers. If a aftermarket birf starts clicking after 50k a customer may flip out and complain and demand money back, the job repaired for free, and leave negative feedback. Which I'm guessing they went through and learned their lesson. In addition Toyota customers are spoiled by Toyota reliability. Owners of other makes shell out thousands for repairs fairly often.

Last edited:
Get some more posts on the forum, then you can post up some photos
of the worn components. or put the photos somewhere and post up the link.
They all might not need replacing,

Wow, u are getting hosed on part prices!

For starters that price for birfs is unacceptable, even OEM! I just did this job minus the spindles. I used HDK birfs, OEM axles and flanges, $700. I used a cruiseroutfitters knuckle kit. Under a $1000 finished. I do my own labour.

Your price, $4000 just for parts😳

First thing that caught my eye from those prices was the wheel bearing cost. Cruiser outfitters sells their front axle rebuild kit (seals, gaskets, trunnion bearings and Koyo wheel bearings) for $205 dollars.

I would look into cruiser outfitters for all of your parts needs for this project.

Thanks for the input. Additional thoughts on the expected life expectancy for the high quality after market parts? I had hoped to get my 80 series up to 500k miles. Ideally, I’d like to get parts that would last the next 175k miles and not cost me an arm and a leg.

The only non OEM parts I used was the HDK birfs, less than $300 for both! Your OEM price of $2100 for both means you could replace them 7 times! How long will mine last? HDK is high quality Japanese manufactured parts, I am not worried!

Don’t spend an arm and a leg, it’s not necessary! get All parts from @cruiseroutfit !

That sounds about right. You might be able to do better on parts by buying them from Cruiser Outfitters and let them help you with the OEM/aftermarket question (they sell both) but I doubt it's going to be significantly less. New parts are still parts for a $50k+ vehicle whether it's 20 years ago or today.

Also recommend cruiser outfitters, give him a call and he’ll be up front about parts reliability and life span in comparison of brands and OEM.

Do the work yourself and save a bundle. Actually you could do high steer and other upgrades like tires for the money your saving.

Just received a quote from a reputable LC shop. Have sticker shock and could use another expert opinion.
Those are Toyota dealer list prices. I you want to stay 100% OEM, you could save quite a bit of money purchasing the parts yourself from any online Toyota dealer.

Why did you start another thread on this?

Yeah, you're getting hosed on the parts prices. For example, the OEM birfield from McGeorge Toyota is $743. Still very expensive, but $300 less than what you were quoted and I am sure they are not selling this part at a loss. Do you think this shop is paying full dealer list price for the birfield or will they be getting a deal like the McGeorge price or even better? A lot of Landcruiser specialty shops are probably focusing on big restoration and engine swap jobs so they may not be as interested in being price competitive with "smaller" jobs.

Having done the job, their labor estimate does not sound out of line though. I'd recommend doing this job yourself, using the videos and FSM available. I would give Cruiser Outfitters a call and explain what you're looking for. They are super knowledgeable and honest. There is a lot of debate out there regarding OEM vs aftermarket, but many seem to agree that the birfield price for OEM is just not worth it, especially with good aftermarket options available for a fraction of the cost.

If DIYing this is really not an option, I would be looking around at smaller local shops that are willing to work with you on the parts. Like one that would allow you to supply the parts that you get from Cruiser Outfitter and just charge you the labor rate.

For comparison, here is the low extreme of the price spectrum: one can get the exact same OEM spindle for less than $150 (including shipping) from Amayama.com, but it takes a little while to arrive from Japan. That is what I did. I also got the exact same set of Koyo wheel bearings as OEM for under $60 shipped from Largest Car Part Warehouse | Replacement Auto Parts Online | AutohausAZ. I doubt you'll find much cheaper prices for the same OEM parts than these.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, you bought it with 110k on the odometer & it now has 325k and you are just now now digging into the front axle?
You went way over the service interval.No wonder you need to replace all of those parts. That being said, the prices on those parts are pretty high. You can get them for way less elsewhere. Get a FSM, a 54mm socket, brass drifts and an IdahoDoug axle rebuild video and go to town. You save a boat load of cash, acquire new tools & skills.

Just received a quote from a reputable LC shop. Have sticker shock and could use another expert opinion.

Here is your list of parts with OEM part numbers. Look up the prices for yourself.

Outer axle shaft- $1050 each (x2) part# 43405-60070
Inner right axle shaft- $176 part# 43411-60040
Inner left axle shaft- $340 part# 43412-60070
Spindle- $370 each (x2) part# 43401-60041
Hub flange- $89 (x2) part# 43421-60040

As opposed to the first 3 line items, I went with RCV axles StackPath for my personal daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom