$80/liter transfer case oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Transfer case oil won’t fix the flashing CDL light. Only actuator R&R will help.

Transfer case changed to borg Warner manufacturing in 2013, hence the change to 75w LF. 2008-2011 manual says 75w fluid.

ATF is separate discussion but WS is synthetic whereas T-3/T-4 I think was not. 200-series only uses WS
I use TIS more so, than hard copy FSM manual or owner manual. Toyota, once would mail update pages to FSM, for the hard copy. But they stop that ~20 years ago. So TIS is best to get latest info. Example: In TIS for 2004-07LC/LX, we see A/T fluid check level at, 97-115F (TSB, lowering to this new temp). In hard copy we see: 115f-130f.

TIS is updated periodically (modified) and noted as to date it was. This is what all Toyota & Lexus Dealership shops use.
This is as of Feb 2019:
TIS (Toyota Information Services), updated Feb 2019. TC fluid: Last modify 2-6-2018.
Repost what it states.
TIS/FSM:
TIS 2008- 2010:
Oil Grade:
GL-5
Viscosity:
SAE 75W-90

2011 - 2016 (last yr I looked at) :
add transfer gear oil LF.
Viscosity:
SAE 75W

ATF WS, is "separate discussion". I brought it up, just as a comparison foot note: To, why didn't Toyota make change to 2008-10 TC. Toyota did not, make a change from T-IV ATF to WS in the 2003, after WS came out in 2004.

So was it and oversight, "not" recommending LF in all 200 series TC.
Or
Did Toyota "feel" no need to change 2008-10. This would indicate a change in Transfer case in 2011. Like the addition of brass.

Prod Date Range [07/2009 - ] Makes one think, that date forward, it is NOT. See very next model year (2011) below
IMG_9202.JPEG
IMG_9203.JPEG

^ Paul- can you confirm what brand bulk LF the dealer is using?
IDK. If I remember next time there, I'll ask.
I did look a a can of LF online. Found the now say EMG. Which dig a bit. See EMG purchased from Exxon Mobil. Exxon Mobil in joint venture, hashad been manufacture of Toyota lubes.

WS is not synthetic.
I agree. Toyota WS ATF to cheap, for as proud ($$$) of product as they are. Also, it doesn't say it is,. Which they'd like boast if was.
I have to wonder whether the odd smell of LF I described in the original post has to do with sulphur. Now considering digging into the VOAs of this stuff.. even though I’ve moved on to ravenol.
Not likely sulfur smell, since made for a TC with brass. Which @Taco2Cruiser, clearly saw brass, in a 2013 TC.

This is what really sent a chill down my spine. Since they had recommended, GL-5. Which GL-5 LS, has sulfur.
If Toyota's LF isn't synthetic, which, due to other lubricants not being synthetic, I would bet it isn't.

All the extra anti wear additives make sense. It will break down faster than fully synthetic lubes like Ravenol. The additives make up for the break down.
You'd think for $144, we get super high grade synthetic. But can doesn't say it is!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm looking to refresh the fluids in my transfer case and diff fluids on my 2015 LX570 this weekend.
I'm sure it's somewhere in these 15 pages, but I thought I'd ask to remain current. If I'm understanding correctly, for the transfer case, the following fluids are good to use?

- Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear LF SAE 75W
-Ravenol 75W
- Red Line MT 70W/75W GL-4

For the front and rear differentials, the following fluids are good to use?

-Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5
-Mobil 1 75W-90
-Red Line 75W-85 GL-5

I'm looking to refresh the fluids in my transfer case and diff fluids on my 2015 LX570 this weekend.
I'm sure it's somewhere in these 15 pages, but I thought I'd ask to remain current. If I'm understanding correctly, for the transfer case, the following fluids are good to use?

-Ravenol 75W

-Mobil 1 75W-90
-Red Line 75W-85 GL-5
Also, Valvoline 75w-90 can work for the diffs.

I’ve read that some use 75w-90 for all 3, but YMMV. I’m going to use Ravenol for the TC and Valvoline or Mobil 1 for the diffs and just do it the way Toyota commands me to. :)

-Ravenol 75W

-Mobil 1 75W-90
-Red Line 75W-85 GL-5

I’ve read that some use 75w-90 for all 3, but YMMV. I’m going to use Ravenol for the TC and Valvoline or Mobil 1 for the diffs and just do it the way Toyota commands me to. :)

I have a 2008 and only know about the fluid specs for this year. I've been using Valvoline Synpower full synthetic 75w-90 and Mobil 1 full synthetic 75w-90 for the past 70k miles and 3.5 years. No issues. The drive train works as intended.

Not a biggie when there is a little spillage. Last week I got the Mobil 1 from Amazon for $11.67 per qt to use when I changed the diff/transfer fluid yesterday.

I have a 2008 and only know about the fluid specs for this year. I've been using Valvoline Synpower full synthetic 75w-90 and Mobil 1 full synthetic 75w-90 for the past 70k miles and 3.5 years. No issues. The drive train works as intended.

Not a biggie when there is a little spillage. Last week I got the Mobil 1 from Amazon for $11.67 per qt to use when I changed the diff/transfer fluid yesterday.
So you are using 75w-90 for both diffs and the TC?

-Ravenol 75W

-Mobil 1 75W-90
-Red Line 75W-85 GL-5
The front and rear diffs can also use Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

So you are using 75w-90 for both diffs and the TC?
The early 200s specify that fluid in the case, so there would be no reason to run the special stuff.

In 2010-2011 that spec changed.

The early 200s specify that fluid in the case, so there would be no reason to run the special stuff.

Got it, thanks. That is what I thought. I have a 2011 LC so I’ll need the Ravenol for the TC.

I don't use any Toyota-branded fluids/grease in my 2008 as there are equivalents that are much cheaper alternatives such as for the coolant system, brake system, power steering, tranny, differential/transfer cases, etc. However, there are different specs for different years with fluids/grease in the 200 series. As @bloc said, you should definitely use fluids that meet or exceed the specs for your year.

You didn't ask, but here are the washers I use for the differential and transfer cases:

I keep the washers separated in plastic baggies so I can remember where they go.

Bag 3.jpg

Bag 3.jpg

Bag 2.jpg

Last edited:

Oops I forgot about the Valvoline diff fluid. The O'Reilly's local to me has a couple of bottles of the Red Line 70/75w instock. I also have a $20 coupon from there, so I will be snatching up 2 bottles on my way home from work later.

Nothing too special in those TC photos that would drive me to running the unicorn tears. I'm still using the $$ stuff on faith that the additive package has secret herbs and spices for the torsen (like all snake oils it could easily be placebo). If the fancy stuff saves 1% on MPG, it could almost make a case for it based on how long you run it.

Got tired of trying to decide on fluids. I ordered the Redline for the TC and Valvoline 75w-90 for the diffs. Should be here this week and I’ll do all 3 and drain and fill the transmission with ATF-WS.

FYI…the Valvoline 75w-90 is $78 for 12 quarts on Amazon. That will leave enough to do some on our GX.

I had some of the hex drain/fill plugs from when I had my 80 series. Will those work with the 200 for the diff and TC drain?

Note: I do not condone purchasing from this link. Search Mud for details.

IMG_3519.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom