$80/liter transfer case oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm baselining my new-to-me 200 and part of that process is all new fluids. Looking up the specs, Toyota calls for "SAE 75W Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear LF" fluid. 1.53L, for the record.

My discount parts source is $53.63/Liter, MSRP at the counter is $81

What about this stuff is so special?

I went ahead and bought it from Toyota, knowing it'd be good for 60k miles, and not knowing what is different. Physically, it is a lot darker brown than any gear oil I've ever seen.. even the Toyota 75w-85 diff oil. That stuff is a light golden yellow.. I'm attaching a pic of the Transfer gear LF, brand new, in a clear container. It also smells much stronger than normal gear oil. Whatever that unique smell is.. this has a LOT of it.

Speculation: thinner for better mileage, and the needs of the transfer case not being particularly demanding.

People have discussed this in other threads, citing VOA, and saying it didn't look too advanced. I know it's difficult to find a straight 75 weight gear oil.. Amsoil doesn't even list a product for our rigs.

Any input?

Virgin oil:
IMG_4398.JPG

wow. I just bought 9 quarts of amsoil 75w-90 severe gear for $130 and thought that was a princely sum. I plan on changing mine every 30k.

From what I have researched, you are right in that it’s a high dollar mineral oil designed for improved fuel economy. I will use it until the warranty runs out and switch to Amsoil 75-90 gear oil. I smelled fish at the dealership when I asked the service manager if they used it and the response was absolutely. As a regular service interval fluid, I had to order it and it wasn’t in stock. The parts guys candidly tell me that they use gear oil and an additive (whatever that is.) I believe others have posted that they use gear oil on their 200s.

I was a cheap ass and I bought 80w-90 from Walmart for my front and rears. It was the conventional Supertech blue gallon jugs. A gallon for $13. That comes out to $3.25 a quart. As long as it's GL-5 gear oil, I'm ok with it. Runs fine and comes back out fine.

You really think the 200s in South Africa are going to be using top shelf $60/quart gear oil lol?

The odd thing to me is amsoil not listing a fluid for this application when they are so aggressive about their products in every other possible scenario.

When this got asked in that other thread, it got me thinking...

Anyway I bought some Toyota transfer LF and will do some more oil analysis on it compared to Amsoil Severe gear 75-90 and 75-110.

Oh and the reason why Amsoil (and Redline) don’t offer recommendations is because Toyota won’t release the requirements. So oil companies can’t create their own to proper specs.

I did find an oil that is comparable, just got to dig up the note I wrote it on, I’ll edit this post when I find it.

Umm what else, oh the smell. That is the super high content of phosphorus, which is why I initially felt Amsoil severe gear was safe in the transfer case. High phosphorus levels are hell on brass, but since the Toyota transfer LF has double the phosphorus as severe gear 75-90, that worry is invalid.

So... I’m just gonna burn these oils up and see what happens. I love testing, hate speculating.

Last edited:
'Gear Oil' in 2009 Lexus FSM
Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
Front differential 1.85 to 1.95 liters (1.96 to 2.06 US qts., 1.63 to 1.71 Imp. qts.)
Rear differential 4.15 to 4.25 liters (4.39 to 4.49 US qts., 3.66 to 3.74 Imp. qts.)

'Transfer oil' in 2009 Lexus FSM
1.4 to 1.5 liters (1.47 to 1.59 US qts, 1.23 to 1.32 Imp. qts) API GL-5 SAE 75W-90

I can't wait to see the results of some actual testing @Taco2Cruiser . That will be awesome.

'Gear Oil' in 2009 Lexus FSM
Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
Front differential 1.85 to 1.95 liters (1.96 to 2.06 US qts., 1.63 to 1.71 Imp. qts.)
Rear differential 4.15 to 4.25 liters (4.39 to 4.49 US qts., 3.66 to 3.74 Imp. qts.)

'Transfer oil' in 2009 Lexus FSM
1.4 to 1.5 liters (1.47 to 1.59 US qts, 1.23 to 1.32 Imp. qts) API GL-5 SAE 75W-90

I can't wait to see the results of some actual testing @Taco2Cruiser . That will be awesome.

Are you sure the FSM calls for 75w-90? I know for a fact my 13 specifies straight 75wt. Not that it's a giant difference in practice, just want to find out if 75-90 was called for in any 200s.

Well not really.

Both 2008-2010 LXs and LCs transfer case is part number 36100-60B01. Half way through 2010, Toyota changed both LCs and LXs transfer case to part number 36100-60B02 where it has remained the transfer for up to MY2018 unless it’s a Hawaii spec vehicle.

Might be why we hear more early LC/LX with stuck locking center differentials than on later ones.

I reached out to Lubrication Engineers (http://www.le-lubricants.com) a few weeks ago asking just this question, what product of theirs to use in our differentials and transferase. I have been really impressed with their products in the past. Here is what I learned:

Me: "Looking for lubricants that meet Toyota specs for 2008-2011 Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570 front, center and rear differentials (center has Torsen limited slip) and transfer case. In the past I had great experience in a Honda rear diff with Torsen and your LE 607. Would your current LE 1605 be the right lubricant for this Toyota application?"

LE: "The front and rear differentials and the transfer case will take our 9919, Synolec® All Climate Gear Lubricant. I have included the tech data sheet as an attachment."

Attachments

• 9919-9920 Product Info.pdf
    246 KB · Views: 398

Attachments

• RAVENOL_MTF3_SAE_75W_1.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 338
^^^ yep, there it is.

I haven’t used it, and haven’t talked to anyone else, but it is approved for use in our transfer case.

so what your saying the Mobil 1 synth I have been running in all my Land Cruisers since I have owned a land cruiser isn't the right stuff anymore, or is it?

What makes this better than Mobil 1 synth 90W gear oil?

so what your saying the Mobil 1 synth I have been running in all my Land Cruisers since I have owned a land cruiser isn't the right stuff anymore, or is it?

What makes this better than Mobil 1 synth 90W gear oil?
We’re not saying it, Toyota is.

We don’t know, it’s formulated differently than gear oil. That’s why we need to do UOA instead of just dumping transfer case oil. Toyota changed something inside the t-case, part numbers changed and with it so did the oil requirement.

Did anyone do a uoa
We’re not saying it, Toyota is.

We don’t know, it’s formulated differently than gear oil. That’s why we need to do UOA instead of just dumping transfer case oil. Toyota changed something inside the t-case, part numbers changed and with it so did the oil requirement.

Did anyone do uoa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom