Transfer case differences (if any) amongst vehicles with AE80F (LC200 8 speed), AB60F (LC200 6speed), AA80F (LS460 AWD sedan) transmissions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched but have not identified specific transfer case differences for t-cases behind the LC200 8 speed transmissions, or the LC200 6 speed transmissions, or the LS460 AWD sedan 8 speed transmissions.

I am interested to understand whether or not anyone has used an LS460’s 1UR-FSE V8 motor and its factory AA80F 8speed transmission with a 200 series transfer case—this would be ideal if the t-case did not create any ECU compatibility issues since I have a good/fully functioning LS460 AWD sedan that I would like to use for a drive train swap into into a 1997 FZJ80;

Or

I am also interested if anyone has attempted to use an LS460’s 1UR-FSE V8 motor with an A750F 4x4 transmission from a GX460–I am guessing the bell housing of the GX transmission may bolt up to the 1UR-FSE just as it bolts to the 1UR-FE;

Or

I am also interested if anyone has used an LS460’s 1UR-FSE V8 motor with AE80F or AB60F transmission from a 200 series—I am not sure if the 3UR and 1UR motors share any similarities that make transmissions compatible.

I apologize if this post is misplaced in the wrong sub forum.

@bjowett is the wizard with this kind of stuff.

Super interesting project.. are you doing a build thread or anything?

Lol, yes, I’ve been all over this stuff. The AWD LS460 with the AA80F and LF1A transfer case deserves the first look here. The LF1A has no electronics, it’s purely mechanical in operation. So you should be able to adapt and slap just about any transfer case in place of it behind the AA80F.

Just a guess, but a JF Series transfer case that sits behind a 4.7 (Tundra/Sequoia in the USA) has the best chance of using the same stub shaft. Using a Sequoia transfer case will give you the options of running in 2WD/AWD/4H/4L.

Lol, yes, I’ve been all over this stuff. The AWD LS460 with the AA80F and LF1A transfer case deserves the first look here. The LF1A has no electronics, it’s purely mechanical in operation. So you should be able to adapt and slap just about any transfer case in place of it behind the AA80F.

Just a guess, but a JF Series transfer case that sits behind a 4.7 (Tundra/Sequoia in the USA) has the best chance of using the same stub shaft. Using a Sequoia transfer case will give you the options of running in 2WD/AWD/4H/4L.
Thank you.

The 1UR-FE is an engine option outside the USA. So it's probably possible to get the 1UR-FSE functional, at least with an overseas LC model. I suspect getting it to work with a US-spec 3UR-FE ECU will be... challenging. Or at least not mostly plug-and-play like swapping in a Tundra 3UR-FE. The 200 has a lot of integrated electronic systems and limp modes which get activated when sensors aren't within spec.

Best bet is probably to spend a LOT of time with the TIS/Techinfo wiring diagrams...

The 1UR-FE is an engine option outside the USA. So it's probably possible to get the 1UR-FSE functional, at least with an overseas LC model. I suspect getting it to work with a US-spec 3UR-FE ECU will be... challenging. Or at least not mostly plug-and-play like swapping in a Tundra 3UR-FE. The 200 has a lot of integrated electronic systems and limp modes which get activated when sensors aren't within spec.

Best bet is probably to spend a LOT of time with the TIS/Techinfo wiring diagrams...
I appreciate the response. I have never had a GX 460 myself but I was under the impression that the U.S. model URJ150s had the 1UR-FE instead of the direct injection 1UR-FSE, which the big LS granny mobiles have.

I am not sure I would have the real estate but possibly considering the AA80E 2WD 8speed transmission (with a 2WD ECU) and a divorced t-case—the LS seem pretty darn hi-tech. There is a yard near me that has a 2WD LS and I am driving an AWD right now.

Does the Sequoia case actually go into 2wd or do they use ADD to switch to 2wd?

It has a 2WD mode where the front drive output is disengaged. It does use ADD for the front axle disconnect… but that won’t make any difference unless you want to use the 4WD ECU that controls it. If that’s the plan, an ADD unit can be turned into a dummy that can provide the signal required by the ECU. The transfer case is slightly longer than the full time unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom