Leak at drive shaft into transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took our 200 off roading and had a leak the next morning on the transfer case. It was dripping heavily and the transfer case was nearly empty by the time we got around to working on it. Thought the transfer case seal was leaking so tried refilling with fluid and the leak stop additive we've seen recommended. It leaked out again and we pinpointed that it seems to be coming from where the front drive shaft exits the transfer case and is running down and dripping off the bottom of the transfer case.

We looked for the breather to check that, but haven't had any luck locating it. The previous owner had a shop do the mods on it and the lines all run elsewhere.

How bad is this? Any thought on steps to get this fixed?
IMG_8140.jpg

My question would be why does it start leaking all of a sudden after an off-road trip? Was the front output bearing damaged allowing play that makes the seal lose contact?

This is a pretty rare failure and when it does go “naturally” it is almost always a slow progression.

How hard were you beating on it? Have lockers or other traction aids that can dramatically increase driveline forces?

I’d definitely be checking that front output flange for excess play.

Consider the possibility that the off-road trip may be a coincidence. Have you greased the front driveshaft yoke recently? I’ve replaced that front seal twice on my truck. The first time it was due to improper greasing.

Consider the possibility that the off-road trip may be a coincidence. Have you greased the front driveshaft yoke recently? I’ve replaced that front seal twice on my truck. The first time it was due to improper greasing.
Specifically too much grease in that spot?

Specifically too much grease in that spot?
Yeah, it’s been a while but here’s what I recall from the first time my seal failed.

• We were on an extended road trip and came up on the mileage for an oil change.
  • Stopped by a Toyota dealer during the trip for a basic service and made a request to grease the shafts.
  • Checked the work once we were home and found a massive amount of grease flung from the u-joints. Thought that was a bit odd that they didn’t clean that up so checked the yokes. Both front and rear zerks expelled a significant amount of grease. I noticed a minor drip from the front output seal.
  • The local dealer swapped the seal and did a complete service on the driveshafts.

No idea if this is relevant to this case, though? Sounds like the seal needs to be replaced either way.

My question would be why does it start leaking all of a sudden after an off-road trip? Was the front output bearing damaged allowing play that makes the seal lose contact?

This is a pretty rare failure and when it does go “naturally” it is almost always a slow progression.

How hard were you beating on it? Have lockers or other traction aids that can dramatically increase driveline forces?

I’d definitely be checking that front output flange for excess play.
We definitely first noticed it right after going off road. It was quite muddy that day so we gave it a heavy wash afterwards. I'm wondering if maybe it had been existing and we just hadn't noticed it yet?

We did go through a quasi deep water/mud crossing that could have given some upward force, but I can't remember doing anything specific that would have stressed those parts. We don't have lockers or other things that would have provided force on it.

I am definitely wondering if this was just coincidental, that maybe we noticed it because we pressure washed it afterwards? We have not greased the front driveshaft yoke recently, it's actually something that is on our to-do list.

When you replaced your seal how difficult was it? We've got a trip to CO coming up in a couple weeks and trying to determine if I have enough time do tackle this myself or if I"ll bring it to a local LC specialty shop.

I am definitely wondering if this was just coincidental, that maybe we noticed it because we pressure washed it afterwards? We have not greased the front driveshaft yoke recently, it's actually something that is on our to-do list.

When you replaced your seal how difficult was it? We've got a trip to CO coming up in a couple weeks and trying to determine if I have enough time do tackle this myself or if I"ll bring it to a local LC specialty shop.

I can't help you with that one as I haven't replaced it. Toyota did it the first time and Valley Hybrids more recently (not sure what caused the second issue... the problem was a metallic whistling noise instead of leaking). Good luck either way!

Took it to a local shop yesterday that specializes in Toyota off road rigs. The guy said he's seen a lot of vehicles with ruined seals from the mud at Bridgeport, TX, that it seems to have a really fine grit that gets in there and ruins them. Glad to hear it's a least a semi-known thing and you can bet we won't be going back there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom