Builds 75 Series Truck - VZ shade tree special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are keeping the 1FZ H150/1 I might have another treat for you , found a new OEM clutch and pressure plate in the shop that I believe to be for a 1FZ with 5 speed . NIB so I can check the pn's on them.

Batter up! I had not ordered that yet. Plan to tear tranny down totally and go through it, so looking for rebuild kit and likely a first gear too.

Batter up! I had not ordered that yet. Plan to tear tranny down totally and go through it, so looking for rebuild kit and likely a first gear too.

Have you found a rebuild for the H150(assuming you are H150)? I think Terrain Tamer has one....

I can guarantee the shade tree mechanics down here are way worse tha mostly anywhere else. Why? We are notoriously lazy, have basically zero certified mechanics, and proper tools in the third (or fourth or fifth) world are bailing wire, a hammer, a chisel and a set of pliers. Your truck is, sadly, one of the worst examples I've seen.

I'm following this build mainly because I find it sad that you purchased the worst example of a Venezuelan export I've seen lately, but what keeps me hooked is the determination to do it right.

If you like, I can maybe help finding parts down here for that specific truck. Since you're having trouble finding them in the states, where you had no carbed 1FZs or 70 series Cruisers, I'll gladly help if you need it.

I can guarantee the shade tree mechanics down here are way worse tha mostly anywhere else. Why? We are notoriously lazy, have basically zero certified mechanics, and proper tools in the third (or fourth or fifth) world are bailing wire, a hammer, a chisel and a set of pliers. Your truck is, sadly, one of the worst examples I've seen.

I'm following this build mainly because I find it sad that you purchased the worst example of a Venezuelan export I've seen lately, but what keeps me hooked is the determination to do it right.

If you like, I can maybe help finding parts down here for that specific truck. Since you're having trouble finding them in the states, where you had no carbed 1FZs or 70 series Cruisers, I'll gladly help if you need it.

Thank you very much!!!!

Rear Dana 60 semi float tech. Huge shout out and plug to Denny’s driveshafts. I had not previously purchased from them but reached out to them to help me identify what parts I need dana 60. They had me get all the numbers I could find on the ring gear and dimensions of the few parts, and from that they track down what I needed for replacement of the carrier. They went back to Dana, and found that this was something specifically made for Toyota, and the replacement part number is something it’s no longer available. From the information From Dana —they cannot confirm if any other carriers would fit. Most companies would have stopped there, but they went on to find it on eBay, and send me a link to what I needed. That is how you get a customer for life!!

So, if anyone find themself in the same situation, what you’re looking for is Dana #706840x. Carrier, bearings shims and gasket.

FA68D634-3909-4124-8B4B-95DA827C9982.png

Have you found a rebuild for the H150(assuming you are H150)? I think Terrain Tamer has one....
I have not prioritized to research how I can determine which transmission it is. No markings found on it except “S” on top.

Looks like outside they are the same between h150 and 151 ,inside 21 tooth vs 14 tooth (spline) and size 275 vs 300 OD shaft.

Like I’ve said, I’ve never rebuild a transmission, so this will be new

Last edited:
Looks like I need a gmk3 terrain tamer kit. Appears to not have syncros so I guess that is from toyota. I am surprised that toyota does not have a kit to do a rebuild.

Found a bunch of good videos from a place in Australia, 360, and found they sell rebuilt tranny’s on eBay for about 2500 US. Keep that as an option.... May need to find someone importing a rig willing to put it in the backseat to get a ride to the states.

Just got back in town from a trip, so got up early and sandblasted the front axle and parts. Going to shoot epoxy primer (southern ploy) and John Deere blitz black this week. I used to take front axles to sandblast shop to do the work, but found that there are so many little hard to reach areas, that I was spending so much time cleaning it up that it is easier and faster for me to just do all the work. Yeah, control freak - guilty as charged.

818D5CF9-8D64-4E23-866F-75FCB2E59E78.jpeg
0BE23EBC-F7FD-4A54-BB8B-1627801D8499.jpeg
8F82FB4D-64BC-4993-9618-D0BCFC417042.jpeg
BAD52E36-B692-4367-9220-FA5E4D07746D.jpeg

Last edited:
Engine update. Bottom end of the original 75 series is at the machine shop. Waiting for the call on what they find out. You cannot see the cross hatching, the other two 4.5l I have built with 250k miles still had them, so not sure what they will find on this one.

I pulled #7 and the bearing surface looked good still. I am going to have them pressurize the water jacket to make sure no cracks after they clean the block. They will also be machining the flywheel for me.

Primed
FE6D6F38-3BC1-4441-AA8E-D69842CEE9FA.jpeg
651F582A-C00A-47C6-B38A-6DF2B97CA716.jpeg
56128335-AC09-44F0-8876-3E6D3966378F.jpeg
76B576CE-4FFB-4C48-A916-DAE32CB2B086.jpeg

To be blunt, I think we are dealing with a die hard Cruiserhead here who got this truck. While he may not like all these issues he seems to like a challenge and has zero issues working through them.

I think the right guy got this truck and it will be stellar when he is done. Nice work man! :)

Cheers

To be blunt, I think we are dealing with a die hard Cruiserhead here who got this truck. While he may not like all these issues he seems to like a challenge and has zero issues working through them.

I think the right guy got this truck and it will be stellar when he is done. Nice work man! :)

Cheers

You are very kind. I do enjoy the challenge this project has presented and look forward to learning how to setup a differential and going through the transmission.

@cjmoon and @BILT4ME are my local "experts" to help me with the differential setup and I will be leaning on them for guidance and supplying them with the requisite amount of beer to lubricate the brain cells.

The transmission scares me as I have never worked through one before and I can find little to no information on the web besides the manual that @AlbertoSD set me up with and great folks in OZ to help do the work. Georg did reach out to me yesterday, so hoping he can point me in a direction for parts. I did not realize that he owned Cruiser Brothers, the source in USA for Terrain Tamer parts, so very glad that we connected.

More information dumping. Rear bearings for the outers on the semi float had an original markings of Torrington and DK54185. This number cross references to R1561TV, so I picked up a set of Koyo to replace them. The seals are another issue in that the markings were all rusted over, so for now I am picking up a set of seals that usually go with this bearing and will see if they spec out the same.

Additionally, for those saying who the heck used a Torrington bearing.... well, I found out that Torrington merged into Koyo, so they are the same.

And JD takes away the shine.
62A1DACA-21C6-4DA1-AC6A-7F2A9BB26413.jpeg
40D95832-8E9F-4FA8-89B8-97DDF719E0FB.jpeg

Just a quick spoiler on the gearboxes, Toyota did make the H150 with a 14 spline 32mm shaft and the 275 and 300 mm clutches are used on both gearboxes. I have such a 150 and the only way I know it's a 150 is that it takes 4,5 turns on the input ( In first gear) to get one output turn. Oh, and once installed I have the crappy 2nd gear ratio.
It may be fairly safe to say that all H151's have the 14/32 input spline and are driven by 300 mm clutches, but ther are no shaft and clutch rules on the H150 box.
G

more info... finally tracked down the right U joint for the rear.

Timken sold off their ownership of what used to be Torrington to Koyo which is a subsidiary of JTEKT which is a Toyota Group company that encompasses Koyo, Toyota Industries, and JTEKT. It’s all very incestuous.

Helped A good friend @kc_chevota swap out his 80 series unlocked front axle for a locked one and brought home a needed pumpkin.

105474F0-D2BC-4948-AF01-9B188A283546.jpeg

54166265-3013-46F6-A3CF-1D84BC5FC7F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom