Builds 75 Series Truck - VZ shade tree special (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was this the one on Bring A Trailer?

Was this the one on Bring A Trailer?
Yes. The gentlemen's name that is importing is Ivan, and has been good to work with. Not a Mud Vendor - yet, but so far very happy with the transaction.

Really neat truck. The motor kind of scared me off a little. I had a client asking about it and if it was a good one to get. Looks REALLY clean which is why he was attracted to it.

Replacement engines are fairly easy to come by.
Clean, LHD 70 Series not so much.

It rolls!!!! Made it outside then met it’s bastard step half-brother.

449ABA7A-30F2-4DFE-9DC6-7EE39239C7E6.jpeg

28845C8A-F71D-4A49-A4EA-36E11772891B.jpeg

I wanted to revisit engine options. I have two paths.... however, with the new thought of selling the rig after I finish the build, I wanted to pose the question again if I should go orginal with carburated 1fz, or go through the extra wiring work to do the Fuel Injected.

I am going to estimate 10-15 hours of more work for the fuel injected. I was planning to do this as I really hate carbs. That includes time for fuel pump tank modification, tubing and wiring.

Carb will cost me more $$$ as I need to purchase all the missing parts on the carb system. Also will need to bore out fuel pump hole on the head; however, that is minimal work.

I am not going to dump a diesel in this so let's try to keep this discussion on point. If you are willing to give me a big chunk of $$$ and an engine, I would build it to your specs, otherwise it is getting a 1fz.

Why would keeping the carburetor be more expensive? If you're converting to EFI you'll need the ECU with complete wiring, head, all the fuel injection parts (fuel lines, distribution, fuel pump), even a new fuel tank? I suppose if you don't go OEM it might be simpler.

If going fuel injected will be simpler, go this route. Also, you never had carbed 1FZ's stateside I believe, so going fuel injected might be easier on finding spare parts as well. Would using an aftermarket carb work?

I wanted to revisit engine options. I have two paths.... however, with the new thought of selling the rig after I finish the build, I wanted to pose the question again if I should go orginal with carburated 1fz, or go through the extra wiring work to do the Fuel Injected.

I am going to estimate 10-15 hours of more work for the fuel injected. I was planning to do this as I really hate carbs. That includes time for fuel pump tank modification, tubing and wiring.

Carb will cost me more $$$ as I need to purchase all the missing parts on the carb system. Also will need to bore out fuel pump hole on the head; however, that is minimal work.

I am not going to dump a diesel in this so let's try to keep this discussion on point. If you are willing to give me a big chunk of $$$ and an engine, I would build it to your specs, otherwise it is getting a 1fz.

Did you drive it with the carb? I'm shocked how nice my truck drives with the carb. I hate them as well but man that truck is smooth and actually accelerates at a pretty good pace. It's a little cold natured but that isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'm a big time EFI guy but I don't think I'd retrofit that motor. I think you'll be surprised how much wiring you're going to have to try and stuff in that dash to run it. IF I did have to go EFI...I'd probably investigate a Holley setup. My tech has one on a Bronco and he loves it. SUPER easy.

Why would keeping the carburetor be more expensive? If you're converting to EFI you'll need the ECU with complete wiring, head, all the fuel injection parts (fuel lines, distribution, fuel pump), even a new fuel tank? I suppose if you don't go OEM it might be simpler.

If going fuel injected will be simpler, go this route. Also, you never had carbed 1FZ's stateside I believe, so going fuel injected might be easier on finding spare parts as well. Would using an aftermarket carb work?

I have a complete parts car so all EFI parts are in hand. No real cost to me except I would have sold that engine someday, so opportunity cost of $300 or so lost.

Most vacuum tubes and stuff for carb setup are missing, including vacuum advance on distributor... so to get it back to good complete working order, I would need to get all that stuff. You are correct US never had the carb setup; however, I have a source for all the parts, just need to show some Green $$$.

EFI would be sweet. Both for you and for a potential future buyer I would think.

When that VM blows up, I got a 1PZ engine for you to keep it 5 cyl and Toyota. ;)

I considered that cruiser (for above reason) but two is enough for me at the moment.

When that VM blows up, I got a 1PZ engine for you to keep it 5 cyl and Toyota. ;)

I considered that cruiser (for above reason) but two is enough for me at the moment.

I appreciate that, but we are talking about the 75 series now.... will decide future of the 73 at a later date.

I understand what you mean about "enough".... My herd is getting too big.... so have to let something go.

76 FJ40 fully locked (Utah)
95 80 series, 3x locked on portal axles (The Foo)
97 80 series 3x locked (daily winter driver) (Boost)
92 73 series
93 75 series truck

off balance sheet accounting....
Son has 95' 85 series truck (Yoda) and we don't count parts rigs.....
Friends truck that passed away, 97 LX 3xlocked on 37" (lexi) - working on it now to get it ready for memorial ride in Sept.

I appreciate that, but we are talking about the 75 series now.... will decide future of the 73 at a later date.

My bad. I look forward to the new build thread for the 73.

I have a complete parts car so all EFI parts are in hand. No real cost to me except I would have sold that engine someday, so opportunity cost of $300 or so lost.

Most vacuum tubes and stuff for carb setup are missing, including vacuum advance on distributor... so to get it back to good complete working order, I would need to get all that stuff. You are correct US never had the carb setup; however, I have a source for all the parts, just need to show some Green $$$.

You may have the parts for an 80, but the wiring for the 75 will have to be modified and that IMHO brings a bunch potential issues.

The fuel injected version of the 75 series does indeed share the same distributor ignition, so enginewise they're the same. 79 series uses the later version. I'm not sure the ECU is the exact same one, but I suppose its possible. The 75 didn't have any of the emissions stuff so that might be something to take into consideration.

If you're good at wiring, go for it. If it may be a source of potential issues, I'd sell the parts vehicle or engine and get yourself a brand new carb.

Time for me to fess up..... not the first 75 I have built ..., I found this gathering dust in the basement
5DCCEF23-E163-49E3-B846-4BCBB25F444D.jpeg
19EDA478-CAB7-4E0E-9CB3-0B06A4F41C74.jpeg
427553B3-87D5-4A07-A5B4-CD24BF4E55FD.jpeg
251B4B92-37B7-403B-9AAF-63B7BA56EBDC.jpeg

I tore down Motor number three tonight...

AC208108-5BF0-4CB4-A292-86871B93A3C5.jpeg

Still had some cross hatchings showing, and the mains looked brand new. Should be a good one. Dropped it off at the machine shop this morning.

Before I took it I drilled and sanded the hole in the side of the head for the fuel pump. Forgot to take a picture of it.

Pic of milling hole for fuel pump
8463F942-69E0-4A5F-AAD8-D05B7E233ADC.jpeg

Nice progress. Could you have run a low pressure (carb) electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical factory one? Would have saved the custom machine work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom