'72 FJ40 Liftgate Struts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i converted mine to gas struts,im in oz but i just went to the strut shop and 10 minutes had a pair for about 60 bucks and they bolted to the original brackets,easy as,work real nice

Beat me to it! :D
Search, this was covered not too long back. You get the gas struts at NAPA and drop them down inside your existing struts after removing the inner parts.

$36.99 EACH!!!! Wow! Anybody know what the poundage is? I buy that length of prop for about less than $10 through my suppliers. $15 is the most they charge. GEt me a pressure and I can come up with a part #. Or here, how's this:

c16-15645 17" 20#
C16-02622 28#
C16-02648 35#
C16-23292 38#
C16-06874 40#
C16-04270 45#
C16-04445 55#
C16-06867 60#
C16-08789 80#
C16-06889 97#
C16-11253 135#

ALL ARE 17" OPEN, AROUND 10 SOMETHING CLOSED. All the lighter props are pretty cheap, the heavier ones I don't know because I've never ordered them. If anyone has a weight I can call tomorrow

props.JPG
props.JPG

Last edited:
Slight hijack, but still close to topic.

Already purchased the NAPA struts, not installed yet though. The stock struts on my 40 have the chrome surface cracking and beginning to peel. Does anybody have a solution? A way to either fix the chrome or remove so they can be powder coated?

Stumpalama

Thamks! Will check around for somebody that has the equipment. Wasn't aware that blasting would take chrome off.

Media blast and paint.

I am in the process of converting mine right now. I picked up the struts from Napa last night ($80 with tax). My outer cylinders are in sad shape so I plan to grind and paint them this weekend.

With the ends removed the struts are about 1/2 too short. A PO had put a 1 1/2" long plastic spacer inside one strut to get more spring pressure. I cut it and now have a perfect fit of the strut.

On a side note, found a set of cleaning brushes that are like bottle brushes made with long twisted wire handles. I chucked one up in a drill and ran it through the tubes to clean out the rust. Did well by itself on the first strut. The second one has more rust inside so I may add some sand when I spin the brush inside it.

Follow the linky to the nap part description.. Looks like 50 pound rated.

Attributes:
Lift Support Compressed Length: 10.25"
Lift Support extended Length: 17"
Contents: Lift Support
End Fitting Type: 10 mm Plastic Square Head
Lbs of Force: 50 lbs
Manufacturer: Premier Marketing Group, Inc.
Manufacturer Part Number: BK819-5565

xjnation, If you can get them cheap, let me know, I will take a couple pair. I am just up the road from you -- or if you have a supplier idea, let us know.

Lift Supports - Universal Gas Charged, 10.25"; 17"

srgould41.. I found a good trick with those wire brushes.... take one that is smaller than the tube you need to clean, wrap it with a scotchbrite pad (I use green) soak it in some cleaner if you are dealing with grease, then do what you did with a drill and it is amazing what it will clean up.

I Use red or white when dealing with honing brake cylinders.

Now he tells me! I finished my brake rebuild last weekend. Could have used that trick for sure!

I'll go get some to keep for the next job. Great idea!

srgould41.. I found a good trick with those wire brushes.... take one that is smaller than the tube you need to clean, wrap it with a scotchbrite pad (I use green) soak it in some cleaner if you are dealing with grease, then do what you did with a drill and it is amazing what it will clean up.

I Use red or white when dealing with honing brake cylinders.

Just a cost saving tip. Only use one strut and keep the spring in the other. One Napa gas strut holds the hatch up just fine on mine. $80 was a little too rich for my blood considering I only gave $100 for my top.

I thought about doing just that! I have not yet rebuilt the other side as it is going to need more work. I might put the spring inside it to see how it fares. If it works out I can return the other strut...

Just a cost saving tip. Only use one strut and keep the spring in the other. One Napa gas strut holds the hatch up just fine on mine. $80 was a little too rich for my blood considering I only gave $100 for my top.

SRGOULD... just to be clear I use brake cleaner when I clean out the cylinders. First time I did it, it was amazing how clean it got it..... good luck.

Me too. Well, my rear drum brake cylinders were frozen with rust. Lots and lots of penetrating oil and I finally got them apart. I actually used penetrating oil as a lubricant when I started honing, wiped them out, then switched to brake fluid to finish the job.

They cleaned out well, but were a little rough. Some scotch brite would have polished the bores nicely... Oh well, live and learn. Next time.

Steve

SRGOULD... just to be clear I use brake cleaner when I clean out the cylinders. First time I did it, it was amazing how clean it got it..... good luck.

Okay... I just picked up some 819-5565's from NAPA because I found the information in the FAQ's. The other threads I read did not describe that the new struts would go inside the old spring cylinders... I have a 73 FJ40 and the back glass struts are missing completely... So basically I need to find some old cylinders or look into another mounting option for these?

Okay... I just picked up some 819-5565's from NAPA because I found the information in the FAQ's. The other threads I read did not describe that the new struts would go inside the old spring cylinders... I have a 73 FJ40 and the back glass struts are missing completely... So basically I need to find some old cylinders or look into another mounting option for these?

That is my understanding, i didn't realize you had to reuse the old cylinders either, but i have mine so that's the route i'm going. Maybe you can buy different ends to fit the shock that will work?

My hardtop is also missing the bracket where the strut or spring cylinder would mount to the hardtop itself... Not the glass hatch (glass hatch has mounts and a threaded end attached that would screw into the spring cylinder)... If anyone could post some pictures I would appreciate it... Also if anyone has any spring cylinders for a reasonable price please let me know... I'd like to figure this out since I paid $75 for these stupid things...

I brought my struts down to the powdercoater last week; he was concerned the media blast would'nt remove all the crackled and pitted old chrome so he sent them out to have them de-chromed first. I just saw them in the raw today and look great. I decided on semi-gloss black since that color is thinner than gloss. I will post pics when I get them back; and I will be putting the gas struts inside like the rest; I'll post pics of that as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom