1971 FJ40 rear hatch struts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve just got my 1971 back from a full restoration and I’m very happy! Just a few things I want to change and happy to go non OEM.
The original rear hatch struts look great but are not terribly practical when I have to open and close regularly; with people and dogs getting in and out. What are the best alternatives? I’m looking for something that’s quality and will last. Is there such thing that looks original but is actually gas? Thanks v much

@firemanj92 — I wish we could get the gate to open higher with your mod - noted you mentioned the height limit in your other post.

The rear hatch is just dangerous when open!

I just ordered these. They should bolt right up to the factory mounts. I'll let you know how it goes after I install them later this week.
Thanks - I have the original old school, turn to tight ones. They looks amazing but just not practical when your opening and closing regularly. Ideally I would love to keep the original look

Thanks - I have the original old school, turn to tight ones. They looks amazing but just not practical when your opening and closing regularly. Ideally I would love to keep the original look
The details from post #49 in the link in post #3 outline exactly what you're after - retain the factory housing, but replaces the internal spring with a gas strut. Have done this on (3) 40's now, some of the best money spent on them!

Post #49:

Part #'s may vary for you on the other side of the pond, but I'm sure theres a way to cross reference to what's available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom