Pre 72' Seats (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adarcy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I have a 72' (Dec 71 build) that currently has the split bench in it. At one point I pulled the bench seat setup and put in a set of Corbeau seats, but I never liked the look or that the passenger seat was much higher than the drivers side. Last weekend I pulled that setup and went back to my bench seat and while it looks great, the bench does a terrible job of keeping you in place.

So what have those of you with early 72' or older trucks done for seat swaps? I'd like to go to either something aftermarket or oem buckets from a newer year, but would like a setup that is level or more level than what I had before. I do still have the under seat fuel tank.

Attached a photo. You can tell the height diff from the holes in the back of the seats. It's a good couple inches.

IMG_5372 (1).jpeg

Hi all,

I have a 72' (Dec 71 build) that currently has the split bench in it. At one point I pulled the bench seat setup and put in a set of Corbeau seats, but I never liked the look or that the passenger seat was much higher than the drivers side. Last weekend I pulled that setup and went back to my bench seat and while it looks great, the bench does a terrible job of keeping you in place.

So what have those of you with early 72' or older trucks done for seat swaps? I'd like to go to either something aftermarket or oem buckets from a newer year, but would like a setup that is level or more level than what I had before. I do still have the under seat fuel tank.

Attached a photo. You can tell the height diff from the holes in the back of the seats. It's a good couple inches.

View attachment 3540181
Maybe some low-back buckets that don't give off such a drastic visual cue? I dream of some retro looking low-back PRP buckets in one of my 40's....

There are also some low back hot rod style buckets with good bolstering that would look great in a 40.

I don't really think you'll get away with lowering the passenger seat much the fuel tank is driving the height. Maybe save 1/2" to 1" getting custom fabbed mounts? Cheaper to raise the drivers seat if the visual difference really bothers you that much.

Hi all,

View attachment 3540181
The 72 Bench is definitely not for the faint of heart. A good upholsterer would be able to build up the outside foam as well as eliminate the springs and use a firmer foam. The 72 split bench is pretty unique.

The 72 Bench is definitely not for the faint of heart. A good upholsterer would be able to build up the outside foam as well as eliminate the springs and use a firmer foam. The 72 split bench is pretty unique.

Ha! It certainly isn't. A bit like a being on a trampoline.

Year ago I installed seats from a 74 FJ40 in my 68 FJ40. Off road the flat driver's seat and lap belts just slid side to side. Around the same time I added a roll bar and seats belts from a wrecked 79. Those two made a huge difference off road.

@Adarcy - I’d be interested in the passenger bench seat if you’re going to part with the seats.

Just posted the stock setup for sale

Ha! It certainly isn't. A bit like a being on a trampoline.
I kept the split bench - "spring mattress" is what hubby calls it :lol:

I just tell people it's how the ruck came from the factory - I do have a suspension driver seat for myself :p

to prevent the "sliding" that Living in the Past mentions, a previous owner of my truck had added 3-point seat belts - they cinch you in ever more if you bounce on the OEM seats :hillbilly:

My Blue rig originally had a homebrew frame setup with non-adjustable Mastercraft seats in it that I hated. I recently bought the kit from cummins cruiser and used new Best Top Trailmax Pro II seats for a YJ. Pretty happy with them so far. I know your close by so if you'd like to meetup and check them out I'm happy to do so.

For my Red '73 that you saw, I used SCAT Procar rally seats, and was happy with those as well. I have the Rally's with side bolsters in my Chevelle and like them. I wouldn't opt for the bolsters in a FJ40 though.
PXL_20231028_180333058.jpg
PXL_20231028_203213792.jpg
IMG_20210829_114907646.jpg
IMG_20210829_114917111.jpg

I just went with some aftermarket seats that had a more realistic look and a center console. Wish I had a better pic but I think you can get an idea as to what I did.

IMG_0384.JPEG

IMG_0386.JPEG

IMG_0387.JPEG

I have a set of newer (73 or 74) fj40 seats that I’ve considering installing in my 4/72 to replace the 5 piece bench.
The newer (73+) seat mounts are expensive and I’d have to cut the under seat toolbox to fit them.
The bench and lap belt is quite a ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom