60s with canoes and maybe other boats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kept my eye on Craigslist and got an Old Towne Tripper 17' red in excellent physical shape but showing sun fading and scratches. It has Kevlar skid plates on either end. Got that one for $350 which is a bargain for a Royalex canoe which are unobtainium on the new market. A year later I got an identical red Tripper with Kevlar skids in the exact condition. They look like they were purchased together new and had the same use. On my FJ62 with Yakima 78" cross bars on A1 towers the fronts are too low and block vision of street lights etc. On my Excursion this is not a problem but putting them up there is tougher. I have a full length Wilderness rack and looking at pics in this thread, I should be fine on vision with the extra height of that rack vs the Yakima.
YOU BAIT US WITH THIS WONDERFUL DESCRIPTION AND THEN...no pics? Some people!

Here are a few of mine.

Kayak 3.jpg

Kayak 4.jpg

Kayak 5.jpg

Did you ever pick that up?
No guy never responded to me. Typical.
I did some research too and found I’d need at most a 13’ Grumman if I was going to go that brand. A 17’ is near to 65lbs and I only tip the scales at 125 as well as only 5’5”.

I did some research too and found I’d need at most a 13’ Grumman if I was going to go that brand. A 17’ is near to 65lbs and I only tip the scales at 125 as well as only 5’5”.
Yeah a little tough pushing or even trying to get that thing up or down.
I just found one hopefully I will have it by next weekend. $200 17ft Grumman

It took me a day to polish it initially. It takes an hour or so to bring the shine back up each year. It sits outside in the weather under a tree year round so it gets pretty grimy between cleanings.

It took me a day to polish it initially. It takes an hour or so to bring the shine back up each year. It sits outside in the weather under a tree year round so it gets pretty grimy between cleanings.
Ok great!
I have one I am hopefully picking up next weekend.
Looking forward to shinning her up like yours.
Thanks

The Anus Acuta is a great boat. I sold mine when I could no longer fit into it. I am am in the middle of designing something similar and build a stitch and tape plywood kayak that I can paddle.

Even though most are canoes on roofs, here is my 88hj61 and 82 Quintrex View attachment 1975434View attachment 1975435View attachment 1975436
Australian tinnies are so COOL! I've looked at a lot of US boats and can't seem find similar. It seems the Aussie boats have higher sides (not sure what the correct term is) that makes them more seaworthy (again not sure if that's the right term). Aussie off road vehicles and watercraft seem more advanced than US stuff.

The Grummans are very heavy but extremely long lasting with zero care plus cheap to buy used. The usual price for a used Grumman is about $500. The Grumman can be left outside in direct sun with no problem at all. I have the 17' and with another person, we can put it on the rooftop easily. I have a tough time doing it by myself. I only have the one canoe right now. I think the best, most convenient solution for transporting the 17' is a trailer. It will be MUCH easier for me to lift the canoe onto the trailer compared to lifting it onto the roof. I'm planning on building up a Compact Camping Concepts trailer kit to accommodate two 17' Grummans and a storage box for paddles and camping gear. The trailer kit has a bolt on tongue so an extra long tongue can be used for the canoes. Or a short tongue can be quickly swapped for just camping gear. I'm working on installing a center seat so I can paddle the 17' solo with a kayak paddle. I solo paddle the canoe right now by sitting on the front seat facing backwards. The problem with that arrangement is I have to weight the other end to keep the canoe mostly level. Installing a center seat will allow the canoe to be properly paddled by one or two. Setting up that trailer for 2 canoes with center seats will allow me to easily accommodate 1, 2, 3, or 4 people at a time. If it's just me, I'll pull off the second canoe, leave it at home, and go. DIY Trailer Welded Frame Kits

The Grummans are very heavy but extremely long lasting with zero care plus cheap to buy used. The usual price for a used Grumman is about $500. The Grumman can be left outside in direct sun with no problem at all. I have the 17' and with another person, we can put it on the rooftop easily. I have a tough time doing it by myself. I only have the one canoe right now. I think the best, most convenient solution for transporting the 17' is a trailer. It will be MUCH easier for me to lift the canoe onto the trailer compared to lifting it onto the roof. I'm planning on building up a Compact Camping Concepts trailer kit to accommodate two 17' Grummans and a storage box for paddles and camping gear. The trailer kit has a bolt on tongue so an extra long tongue can be used for the canoes. Or a short tongue can be quickly swapped for just camping gear. I'm working on installing a center seat so I can paddle the 17' solo with a kayak paddle. I solo paddle the canoe right now by sitting on the front seat facing backwards. The problem with that arrangement is I have to weight the other end to keep the canoe mostly level. Installing a center seat will allow the canoe to be properly paddled by one or two. Setting up that trailer for 2 canoes with center seats will allow me to easily accommodate 1, 2, 3, or 4 people at a time. If it's just me, I'll pull off the second canoe, leave it at home, and go. DIY Trailer Welded Frame Kits
I have a promise from a guy who has a 13’ Grumman for sale for $150. I’m heading up Sat to grab it on my little Nissan. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom