4Runner - Purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Will. I sold it a couple of years back, but now I have my 1st gen so I can sleep at night again...

My DD is an 1985 Mercedes 300SD. And I've got a OM617 on the stand as a spare - but I'd like to drop it in the 62. (I know less typing more wrenching.) At any rate I've been researching mo power over the stock 125HP. For a motor that's been out of production for 35 years (in cars anyway) the stars are finally aligning.

You've got Doomsday Diesel out there - with a H55 adapter I believe.

With minor mods a TD04HL-19T turbo with water to air IC is a major upgrade.

Then we finally have an option for a OM617 pump upgrade: BenzForce Pump Upgrade

This combo will push over 300HP but that's reportedly where the rods bend so you need to control fuel.

Sorry for the hijack but I'd love to see you put this motor in a 4R but I bet it would be more of a challenge than a 6X.

My DD is an 1985 Mercedes 300SD. And I've got a OM617 on the stand as a spare - but I'd like to drop it in the 62. (I know less typing more wrenching.) At any rate I've been researching mo power over the stock 125HP. For a motor that's been out of production for 35 years (in cars anyway) the stars are finally aligning.

You've got Doomsday Diesel out there - with a H55 adapter I believe.

With minor mods a TD04HL-19T turbo with water to air IC is a major upgrade.

Then we finally have an option for a OM617 pump upgrade: BenzForce Pump Upgrade

This combo will push over 300HP but that's reportedly where the rods bend so you need to control fuel.

Sorry for the hijack but I'd love to see you put this motor in a 4R but I bet it would be more of a challenge than a 6X.

At this point, Doomsday Diesel does not make an adapter for the H55F transmission. Only the R150F and W56 transmissions. However, I believe there are other vendors making an adapter for the H55F (4x4Labs).

But Doomsday's products are more than just the transmission adapter. They are a more complete "turnkey" kit with engine mounts, oil pan, oil filter relocation, A/C bracket, alternator bracket, etc. That is why I'm so interested in it.

Also, Joe at Doomsday is doing some extensive testing on turbo setups. Right now the best combination appears to be a BenzForce 7.5 mm pump with a Holset turbo and air-to-air intercooler. IMHO an air-to-air intercooler is the correct way to cool the intake charge on a turbo vehicle. Everything else is a compromise due to packaging constraints.

Regardless, there are lots of cool products on the market (or about to be released) for OM617 Toyota stuff. I would be very pleased with 200 RWHP/200 RWTQ and 20 to 25mpg, which based on current data, seems to be a relatively reasonable goal.

Long Range Automotive also offers an auxiliary fuel tank with 110 liter (29 gallon) capacity and dual fuel filler neck (so no fabricating/cutting gas cap inlet). It mounts behind the rear axle (relocate spare tire). The factory gas tank on a 3rd gen is 18.5 gallons. So at 22 mpg, that over a 1,000 mile range. Not bad.

LRA-Aux-Tank.jpg

Twin-Filler.jpg

What about getting a JDM import 2nd gen? Or waiting until next year and getting a 96?
Not sure availability of diesel + manual combos on JDM trucks but from everything ive read here, those trucks can be cleaner. Or you could get a 3.0 powered truck and still do your swap, just with a cleaner frame and body?

Long Range Automotive also offers an auxiliary fuel tank with 110 liter (29 gallon) capacity and dual fuel filler neck (so no fabricating/cutting gas cap inlet). It mounts behind the rear axle (relocate spare tire). The factory gas tank on a 3rd gen is 18.5 gallons. So at 22 mpg, that over a 1,000 mile range. Not bad.

Whoa! This got my attention.

What about getting a JDM import 2nd gen? Or waiting until next year and getting a 96?
Not sure availability of diesel + manual combos on JDM trucks but from everything ive read here, those trucks can be cleaner.

Or you could get a 3.0 powered truck and still do your swap, just with a cleaner frame and body?

I have considered the JDM option. That's actually kinda what started this 4Runner rabbit hole. The problem is that I don't want a right hand drive vehicle. Of course, you could always swap over the drivetrain to a left hand drive vehicle. But you still run into the issues I outlined earlier: (1) the 1KZ-TE is electronic, not mechanical; and (2) even if you convert to the 1KZT (non-electronic) replacement parts for Toyota diesel stuff is not commonly available (at least, not at common as OM617 parts).

I'm still vacillating on a 2nd gen 3.0 powered truck. But I would never import a truck with a drivetrain that is domestically available in the USA. That just means it's expensive and a PITA. To me, the advantage of any imported chassis or drivetrain is the access to options that were not available in the USA (diesel, manual trans, Land Cruiser Pickup/Troopy, etc). For example, I have zero interest in a RHD 80 series Land Cruiser with a 1FZ and an automatic, because that truck is domestically available in the USA (with the steering wheel on the proper side for USA driving). I don't think they're any cleaner either. Just novel.

Whoa! This got my attention.

Yeah, it would be a pretty cool setup. You'd need to adjust the suspension obviously. Diesel weighs 7 lbs per gallon. So figure about 200 extra lbs fully fueled.

Yeah, it would be a pretty cool setup. You'd need to adjust the suspension obviously. Diesel weighs 7 lbs per gallon. So figure about 200 extra lbs fully fueled.
I've been on the fence with the Gen3 because I really need extra fuel. This really helps my decision.

I've been on the fence with the Gen3 because I really need extra fuel. This really helps my decision.

Get with @wardharris or @orangefj45 from Cruiser Brothers. I believe they are a Long Range America dealer and could answer any questions you have about the auxiliary fuel tank for a 3rd gen 4Runner.

Get with @wardharris or @orangefj45 from Cruiser Brothers. I believe they are a Long Range America dealer and could answer any questions you have about the auxiliary fuel tank for a 3rd gen 4Runner.
Yep. As soon as I sell the 40 and start shopping for the Gen3 4R. Georg is the man.

I have considered the JDM option. That's actually kinda what started this 4Runner rabbit hole. The problem is that I don't want a right hand drive vehicle. Of course, you could always swap over the drivetrain to a left hand drive vehicle. But you still run into the issues I outlined earlier: (1) the 1KZ-TE is electronic, not mechanical; and (2) even if you convert to the 1KZT (non-electronic) replacement parts for Toyota diesel stuff is not commonly available (at least, not at common as OM617 parts).
That explains it, wasn't too sure about the availability of those parts, makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom