4-speed gear oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can tell you the horror story about my 1991 Pathfinder that had to have the tranny rebuilt because a Nissan DEALER put GL5 tranmission fluid in it during a flush and fill instead of the GL4 that the Nissan factory called for. How do I know they did it? They put on the receipt 5 qts of GL5 oil AND they gave me the remainder of the 5th bottle for topping off! I had no idea there was a difference at the time...

Right after I had the fluid changed, I towed a pop-up camper out to Colorado for vacation. By the time I got there the tranny was getting hard to shift. I took it to a local dealer out there and explained I had just had the fluid changed. They drained the tranny and showed a sample to me. It was full of brass bits! He asked if I knew what oil they used and I showed them the receipt and the bottle. He then explained what had happened. They documented it, drained the GL5 out and refilled with GL4, told me to try to get it home and take it back to my local dealer. I did just that. They fought me on it, but in the end they paid to have it rebuilt!
Im glad to have read this post and thread ...almost 10 years ago i purchased an H41 for my 74 40 series,it shifted like butter.
Drove it for about 2 days and then noticed it was getting hard to shift up to a point it would not go into gear.
Drained the oil and sure enough there was gold flakes mixed with
The gear oil. I believe i had used GL5 bec. I clearly remember
I went everywhere and couldnt find GL4,HOWEVER i knew GL4
Was available via internet but i was excited to get the rig running.
10 years today ive come across another H41 and will be staying
Away from GL5 even if it says GL4 - GL5 compatible.

I tried synthetic gear oil , seals couldn't hold it ,went back to Dino no issues
What did you go with? I to dont want to deal with any leaks.

What options are there in the non synthetic gear oil in GlL4 besides CAT 90wt., CRC?

What options are there in the non synthetic gear oil in GlL4 besides CAT 90wt., CRC?

Brad Penn > Click Here <

IMG_3482.jpg

I'm getting ready to hit my 500 mile break in on my Sm420 and Orion and ring and pinions. I'm going with Red Line. Could I use same weight for ring and pinions opposed to tranny and transfer? Any recommendations?

reviving old thread. gl-4 is crazy hard to find where i am. this says it’s good for gear box and axle but it’s gl-5. any thoughts using it in my h42?
image.jpg
image.jpg

chevron delo syn-trans 75 90 is a good gl4
they have a non synthetic as well, but synthetic shouldnt be a problem, it isnt a problem in mine anyways, as for leaks

NAPA sells the CRC GL-4, branded and Sta-Lube….however haven’t seen quart bottles in years. You’ll end up getting a gallon jug.

NAPA sells the CRC GL-4, branded and Sta-Lube….however haven’t seen quart bottles in years. You’ll end up getting a gallon jug.
it can even be found on amazon

do not put straight gl5 in your transmission.
what does that jug say on the back side?
it doesn’t say anything on the back. the data sheet says good for transmissions and axles but nothing specific about syncros. says it’s dana approved so i assume there are syncros in there.

"says it’s dana approved so i assume there are syncros in there" Correct me if I'm wrong but Dana is most known for axles and not transmissions. A gallon jug of gear oil is not really that much when you consider how big the front and rear ends are. Add in the t-case and transmission and you could use 2 gallons.

you’re right there. i think i had alison in mind not dana (i’ve never had either so i’m no expert) . anyway i’ll use it as a tranny flush cause it’s in there now but i won’t leave it long. this is what came out so i’m sure what i have in is temporarily better.
IMG_7244.jpeg

🤢

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom