3D Printing Parts for the 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have one to test - but I don't see why not as the chassis seems to be the same form factor.

99% sure it'll work just fine.

Last edited:
LS400 Visor shims so they open and close and swing back and forth as intended:

edit:

uploaded here now that .stl's can be uploaded.

Attachments

• visor_spacer_left.stl
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • visor_spacer_right.stl
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
LS400 Visor shims so they open and close and swing back and forth as intended:

Essentially fixing the angle right? That doesn't sound like a hard thing to develop. I don't have the LS400 visor but I am betting someone who has them and can do some mocking up might be able to provide the info for someone to create it.

mine sits inside Wit's End fire extinguisher mount under the seat...perfect area for the element.

I got this mount for the Element. It is nice, but the clip provided by Element is not effective. I mounted it to the second seat seatbelt delete and it always falls off. I just ended up putting it in the netting behind the driver seat.

Essentially fixing the angle right? That doesn't sound like a hard thing to develop. I don't have the LS400 visor but I am betting someone who has them and can do some mocking up might be able to provide the info for someone to create it.

This is one of the first things I wanted to try out when I get my 3D printer. I was thinking that maybe there is a way to recreate the original FJ80/LX450 visor mounting plates, but that would fit the LS400 visor stem. Anyone with 3D printing experience know if a scan of the original mounting plate can be rendered into a file to be printed?

rover67's post has a link to the shims - easier than modeling the clip in it's entirety.

I was planning on doing the entire clip - but this is easier and I may add a mic mount for my hands free to the STL.

This is one of the first things I wanted to try out when I get my 3D printer. I was thinking that maybe there is a way to recreate the original FJ80/LX450 visor mounting plates, but that would fit the LS400 visor stem. Anyone with 3D printing experience know if a scan of the original mounting plate can be rendered into a file to be printed?
There is a phone app called photogrametry that might help you with a scan. No personal experience though.

I think it would be stronger to only print a shim/adaptor that corrects the angle and getting the angle adjusted might be easiest with bother the LS and LC mirrors off and measured against something constant.just think it is a matter of someone having both and some time.

Yes exactly, they just fix the angle. It took me a few tries (4), so yeah easy to develop but takes time and access to modelling software. I figured I'd save people the trouble and also post them up for free. The files are in my build thread on our local forum (which I linked) since for some reason here you can't upload .stl's. I'm not typically a fan of cross-linking but it is what it is.

I'll PM Ige/Ken and see if maybe we can allow .stl's to be uploaded. I have a few models for stuff I've been making I wouldn't mind sharing that are just in my thread back on RS currently.

Last edited:
if you look back to the page one of this thread you will see a clever way i managed to attach STL files. I say clever only to give myself credit but yeah if there is no real security risk created from STL files being attached natively that would be good.

I give my designs away also, I am not a business, and those that do a lot of R&D for the community are free to print my designs or modify as they need for those who don't have printers or care to get in it. I doubt anyone does, because my designs are very rough still and may never get better.

Autodesk Fusion 360 is free to the hobbyist and Is the benchmark of 3D modeling IMHO.
It's a good program, but I wouldn't call it the benchmark. As a prefessional 3D artist, a few others come to mind. Autodesk Maya is the industry standard for film and video game modeling. Zbrush is also a rapidly growing go-to modeling tool for film/game assets. However, those are not cheap programs. So as a free hobbyist tool, Fusion is a good one.

There is a phone app called photogrametry that might help you with a scan. No personal experience though.

I think it would be stronger to only print a shim/adaptor that corrects the angle and getting the angle adjusted might be easiest with bother the LS and LC mirrors off and measured against something constant.just think it is a matter of someone having both and some time.
Photogrametry is a process of using photos to create a 3D scan and is more widely used than any one specific app. It might be a good option for some things, but it might not give precise enough results for some parts.

Has anyone looked at printing a cup holder where the rear door ash trays are? Never can have too many cup holders!!

I have been using once-was google sketchup. The trimmed down version isn’t still available online free of charge for personal use.

I have used Sketchup, and while it's not great, it's free and easy to learn. If you can find an old 2017 version, you should be able to find a version that you can download and use offline that still is able to export .stl files or at least work with the plugins that allow the export of .stl files.

I still use an legally free offline 2017 copy of sketchup, but I really only use it for very simple 2d things or simple furniture (finding how much wood I need to buy for storage shelves, beds, etc).

OpenScad was designed from the beginning for 3D printing, but has a steep learning curve to do complex things or if you're not used to designing by programming (most people are used to designing with a mouse, OpenScad doesn't really use a mouse except for viewing the part), but once you starting using variables, it's drastically faster than Sketchup to tweak the dimensions when you need a tight fit. To change a dimension in OpenScad for a part designed with variables, you only need to change the variable, regenerate the part and export it, often this is literally just changing one or two numbers. Changing a hole size in Sketchup often means deleting a hole and any planes that interacted with the hole and re-making them all, which can take a long time. OpenScad and it's variants are a lot faster, I highly recommend it.

I'm not a fan of Autodesk and their Fusion 360, and while a lot of people like Fusion360, I use Onshape.com which was started by people who left Solidworks. Onshape is very responsive while it also has a learning curve (Fusion360 does as well) they continue to add new features even now 5 years after launch.

Has anyone ever made the plastic plug that covers the shift lock override button? It's the oval shaped plug that covers access to the mechanism that you push in on to be able to move the transmission selector to the different gears without having the vehicle on. I misplaced mine and I don't want something falling down in there.

Has anyone ever made the plastic plug that covers the shift lock override button? It's the oval shaped plug that covers access to the mechanism that you push in on to be able to move the transmission selector to the different gears without having the vehicle on. I misplaced mine and I don't want something falling down in there.

I would also be interested in this!

I can work on that button!

I'd be interested. Some pictures in this thread.

The plug is easy. And duplicating it is ok., but it could be improved upon which would be better. First, it could be made easier to remove when you need it, and second it could converted to a button that can be pushed in order to activate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom