What goes here on the shifter panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Guys, I don't know if I just realized this hole or if it's been this way all along while I've owned my 80S LC, but what goes here. I know from my 4-Runner and Taco days (sold them both and miss them), this was where the brake lock to shift override deal was. So I'm sure it's the same on this LC, but what does the think look like that is normally here? Can any one take a quick pic of theirs for me? Thanks guys, the new site looks good! Clay
IMG_4990.JPG

Its a little cover. That hole provides access to the natural safety switch in case you can't get the rig going. I had to replace one and ordered it from a Toyota Dealer

The FJ80's (91 and 92's) have a the button there that says in front of it "shift overlock override". The FZJ80's (93 and up) have a black cover that if removed, you can push down with a screwdriver, and shift it without starting the vehicle. You might try sourcing a button from a 91 or 92 or a black cover from a 93-97.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies!

The FJ80's (91 and 92's) have a the button there that says in front of it "shift overlock override". The FZJ80's (93 and up) have a black cover that if removed, you can push down with a screwdriver, and shift it without starting the vehicle. You might try sourcing a button from a 91 or 92 or a black cover from a 93-97.

Just to add to this, my '91 and '93 HDJ81's both have the red button rather than the blanking plate, and I've seen the same on some newer HDJ81's with the updated interior still.

Last edited:
I think it'd be nice to have the button vs. a blank-off plate. Is it plug and play for the '93-97?
If so, I'm looking for that button...

Looks like these are the part numbers. I'm going to order them for my FZJ and see if it works. Only like $20 including shipping.

33563-60020 BUTTON, SHIFT LOCK R
33569-60010 GUIDE, SHIFT LOCK RE
33878-32010 LABEL, SHIFT LOCK IN
90501-06051 SPRING, COMPRESSION

Let me know how it works and thx for the part numbers.

My 97 LX450 has no button, just the black snap in cover for the hole. By the way Mr. Texasknowhow I really appreciate the videos you have done on the '96 LC and posted on u tube. Thanks to your video I finally sprang for the CDL switch (from a mud vendor) so I am ready to move my security blinker down and install the CDL switch as well as tackling the 7 pin mod. I also really like your front brake video. That job is in my future. Short term I've got to replace the #1 bypass hose. It split at the cyl head so coolant went everywhere. Thankfully I was home when it went. I will be starting the cycle of replacing all the hoses. As an aside my 6 year old silicone PHH hose and those constant tension clamps are worth every cent. It looks almost new.

@WhiteBuffalo, Thanks for the kind words my friend. And for the items you are working on - this is how I know what folks need/want to see on the next videos I make. I just love these vehicles and I think that comes out when I'm working on them and driving them through, over or in something! Haha. Thanks again. Clay

I managed to pick up one of these buttons at the Yota Yard today. Here's what it looks like:

Disassembled Button.JPG

Assembled Button.JPG

Do the parts above fit in the 93+ model console?

LOL. I had to pop my cover off on the weekend and used a pencil to get the shifter to move from "park" as the dash was disassembled. I thought to myself, WTF this thing is going to break as I gingerly tried to pry it off. Luckily it didn't, but I think I'll order the parts for the button now.

LOL. I had to pop my cover off on the weekend and used a pencil to get the shifter to move from "park" as the dash was disassembled. I thought to myself, WTF this thing is going to break as I gingerly tried to pry it off. Luckily it didn't, but I think I'll order the parts for the button now.

The button itself is discontinued. The other parts are available (guide, spring, sticker)

Plug and play! Just pull off the PNDR plate, pull out a small white plastic part, and put the button assembly in it's place.

Here is the part that's removed:
PART REMOVED.JPG

Here's the button in place:

BUTTON IN PLACE.JPG

Works like a charm as long as you can find the button!

Has anyone else bought these parts and installed this button into a land cruiser post 1993?

yes, I have installed them in our 80 ('93) and in our LX450 ('97) - they work as described - there's even a label that fits to the preformed site right between the button and the shifter

So the black button is NLA, what about the red jdm buttons?

View attachment 2408218

editing.. the website I tried purchasing through does not have the buttons for sale and there was some kind of error in listing it as available.

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price EA​
Description​
3356360010C0​
$ 7.30​
Button, ShiftLOCK RLS.
9050106051​
$ 1.10​
Spring, Compression.
3387832010​