33" Tiers with a Spring Over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking of doing a spring over on my 1975 FJ 40 and I understand that it will raise the vehicle 5 inches but im not sure if I want to go with 35" tiers. I was thinking of using 33" instead but I dont know if it will look too small with a spring over. I was wondering if any body has done this and maybe would have some pictures to show me to see if it looks good or not. Thanks in advance.

33's with a spring over would have alot of clearance. It would look a little small,but you wouldn't have to worry about them rubbing.Mines on 35's with a soa,and lift springs,I would imagine they would look simular.
FJ40 001.jpg
:cheers:
FJ40 001.jpg

I tend to think that 33s look a little small with a SOA. 35s or 37s look much better IMHO. Ill see if I can find a pic of my buddy's SOA 40 with 33s for you to see.

Hodag

I ran SOA with 33's for a little bit and it looked VERY awkward to me. Kind of like a reverse clown shoe:lol:

To me it looked like an exaggerated version of the above picture.

Agreed.

I had 33's on my SOA 40. It looked like I had room in the wheel wells to stack another 33" tire on top of each. It largely depends on the height of the SOA and the width of the 33's.

I have soa with 33's it looks like the tires should be bigger but it only matters if you like it.

kyle
fj40 010.jpg
fj40 009.jpg

33's with a spring over would have alot of clearance. It would look a little small,but you wouldn't have to worry about them rubbing.Mines on 35's with a soa,and lift springs,I would imagine they would look simular.
View attachment 280538
:cheers:

Straightjacket, measure your tires. Every set of that tire I have ever seen in a 35 has measured 33 or less... Tire choice and wheel choice can make a difference on what it will look like as well. 33's will still seem small, some just more than others. You oughta just plan on 35s.

Are you measuring your tire from the ground while it's on the vehicle? If so, measure horizontally next time since the weight of the vehicle causes the tire to squat. If that's not the case then disregard.:D

Straightjacket, measure your tires. Every set of that tire I have ever seen in a 35 has measured 33 or less... Tire choice and wheel choice can make a difference on what it will look like as well. 33's will still seem small, some just more than others. You oughta just plan on 35s.

you must've been measuring street tires...measure a swamper and let me know how it compares :grinpimp:

bk

you must've been measuring street tires...measure a swamper and let me know how it compares :grinpimp:

bk

nah, just those Dunlop radial muds in the first pic. 35x12.50 and 2 sets have measured to 33" and 32.3" respectively. Mounted but not on vehicle. 10" wheel. Only reason I brought it up is the pic is a good indication of how a 33 will look with SOA. Well, if that set is also short like the 2 I've seen. BTW, both sets were new. Tim

How about 37's? I have 35's on mine w/ SOA and 1" lower springs...still extra room...Great flex though!...hope to change it all to coils next winter...wish I had a picture of mine when I did the spring over and stock tires...it was great...felt like I was going to tip over...that was 8 years ago.

:) xjnation is right,the dunlop tires are smaller than their marked size.There about 33's,the pic was just for reference for the original poster.I plan on running larger tires,as I have just a little clearance.:D Even measuring horizontaly,I had to let most o the air out,and take the top off to get it in the garage.

My buddies 73 is SOA with 33 TSL's. In the pic, the *eep closest is on 35 MTR's and his is on 33 TSL's and the 35's are only a hair bigger. Like it has been said above, it's all about tire choice/wheel size, etc.

your buddies SOA is one of the lowest I've seen :cool:

here's another example, comparing my BFG km2's and MTRs (for the street).

tires-1.jpg

and I thought MTRs were tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom