300-series LX release date: October 13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly, I love it. Yes it has that huge grill thing going on that seems so common place with Toyota/Lexus nowadays but I think they executed it very well. They took the LC300 and Lexified the grill without making it too predator like. I thought the 2016+ LX570 had a very angular look to it and with the the LX600 they made it a little more subdued and softer. It's still going to be a bitch to put a bumper on but I think they perfected making the LC300 into an LX. Sadly I won't be getting one soon as I can see them touching $110k but hopefully I'll be in the market for one in 3-5 years when they start to hit the used market.

People will literally mock you and have no idea what theyre talking about. What am i supposed to do?
No one needs to be insulted and then on top of that every single said was wrong too or just absent.

You like the 08-15 for example, no problem i think its great that you prefer it. If i hate it, do you need to lash out?
Thats childish as hell.

Who is lashing out? This is a thread about the lx600. Some people like it. Some people think it looks like a clown rocket.

Personally, If you parked the 600 next to my parents 2018 lx570, it would be hard to tell em apart. That’s a huge miss.

The interior looks good. The exterior is ugly. I would have a hard time cross shopping it to a Range Rover or g wagon.

Hey buddy im up from my nap you know and now that my diapers’ve been changed i wanted to tell you that I already know I’m arguing about aesthetics with people who probably don’t have a single piece of art in their house and live in the woods. You know whats even funnier to me? None of you have made a SINGLE valid point about why the interior is nice. Im tired of grown men fanboying. If someone dares to say anything negative theres always someone that takes it personally and thats sad when we’re talking about a product your grandmother didn’t build. If gentlemen with such fine and refined taste such as yourselves were even close to being in the market for this, which is not your car just as much as I’m not an adventure over-lander, you would have a much more discerning and skeptical outlook. When you spend $100k+ you get to be a little picky right? If you think that interior is on par with what the rest of the industry is doing you need go spend some time in them and get out of the cabin.

There are even people out there that like the Tesla interiors so who am i to bring up credibility? Oh right, that was you with the illogical arguments. Speaking of credibility I may have a little. I help operate my wife’s design business actually. She has a masters in art history from France and a bachelors in interior design from the best school in the country. Ive learned a lot working with her for the past several years on a variety of projects. Ive also worked with many architects and have a very famous one in my family, was raised in the art business (my father being one of 7 world recognized and published experts in his field) and probably visited every art museum in Europe before the age of ten. I spent a few years also working in London actually with the worlds most prestigious auction houses managing important private collections and knew several of the resident experts on personal terms. In my professional life, I’ve designed the technology infrastructure in buildings you have probably seen or toured in SF, NY, Paris, London, and Dublin alongside award winning interior designers, architects and graphic designers. But that doesn’t matter because I don’t think any of you will be buying this car or shopping it’s rivals any time soon anyway. I guess when your mind is as closed as yours it’s easier to mock your way into a fallacious argument than to actually have a discussion. If you have a take or opinion on the LX go ahead, but don’t critique me when don’t even have that, let alone credibility.

Im mocking the car, that doesn’t mean anyone is going to mock me in return. Go ahead and contribute something or move on. Trust me i don’t care at all what you think either. That goes for the three of you stooges. Let me hear what is so special about the design of the interior or be quiet. Wow its square with a screen. Bravo, I’ve seen what it takes to impress you people, your applause means nothing.

Fine. There is absolutely no gravity in this discussion. I don't have to offer up any rationale for why I like the interior. That is how opinions work. I don't get paid to convince people that the interior is great. There is nothing on the line in this forum. I can say anything and it doesn't matter. My mind isn't closed, its just lazy and doesn't care that much. I like the interior of the LX600 and think the interior of an Escalade is cheap junk not fit for a Yugo. I wouldn't use the leather to line the seat in my outhouse. That is not a personal attack against you. You hold a different opinion. One you clearly rate pretty highly. No big deal. We can disagree and still be friends. I take back the credibility comment. It seems important to you and you so clearly want to have some. You have demonstrated superior tastes and I defer to you on issues of design.

But again, we are posting on a forum.

Who is lashing out? This is a thread about the lx600. Some people like it. Some people think it looks like a clown rocket.

Personally, If you parked the 600 next to my parents 2018 lx570, it would be hard to tell em apart. That’s a huge miss.

The interior looks good. The exterior is ugly. I would have a hard time cross shopping it to a Range Rover or g wagon.

Not you but others that i knew better than to engage with.

I agree with you that it is very reminiscent to the 570 but thats a plus for me.
I think the exterior is great, and the interior is a huge miss. Im with you on that third part, i like the 90s RR and G over just about anything.
What do you think the exterior should have looked like? Or how would you improve on the Pre '16s?

Not you but others that i knew better than to engage with.

I agree with you that it is very reminiscent to the 570 but thats a plus for me.
I think the exterior is great, and the interior is a huge miss. Im with you on that third part, i like the 90s RR and G over just about anything.
What do you think the exterior should have looked like? Or how would you improve on the Pre '16s?
I think the 16-20 land cruisers are sexy. I think the 21 lc300 is sexy. If I was mr T, I’d slap a Lexus badge on a lc300 and call it the lx600. The end. Probably sell 3x as many units because the Toyota heads know it’s a land cruiser and it looks sexy and understated.

Fine. There is absolutely no gravity in this discussion. I don't have to offer up any rationale for why I like the interior. That is how opinions work. I don't get paid to convince people that the interior is great. There is nothing on the line in this forum. I can say anything and it doesn't matter. My mind isn't closed, its just lazy and doesn't care that much. I like the interior of the LX600 and think the interior of an Escalade is cheap junk not fit for a Yugo. I wouldn't use the leather to line the seat in my outhouse. That is not a personal attack against you. You hold a different opinion. One you clearly rate pretty highly. No big deal. We can disagree and still be friends. I take back the credibility comment. It seems important to you and you so clearly want to have some. You have demonstrated superior tastes and I defer to you on issues of design.

But again, we are posting on a forum.

Nobody has to defer anything. I just want to talk about the car and not be mocked.
Thanks for the message and I am not here to fight either and happy to make amends.

If anyone is interested it would be fun to breakdown alot about whats going on in this vehicles design since that is not often discussed here on MUD and is like you said a matter of opinion that is not often substantiated and understandably so. This is an offroad forum.

Some friends and nuanced discussion is the meat and potatoes of this community.
Glad to contribute to a topic i know a little about for a change if there is interest.

I think the 16-20 land cruisers are sexy. I think the 21 lc300 is sexy. If I was mr T, I’d slap a Lexus badge on a lc300 and call it the lx600. The end. Probably sell 3x as many units because the Toyota heads know it’s a land cruiser and it looks sexy and understated.

Thats interesting since the LC and LX are so similar to me. I think if you saw the grill and trim in black it would make a big difference.
Chrome is just no acceptable anywhere.

This site gives a lot of good variations of trim in and out. Not sure how legit it is tho. Not sure where I saw it but some site had the 300 and LX side views and I actually liked the LX better.

Nobody has to defer anything. I just want to talk about the car and not be mocked.
Thanks for the message and I am not here to fight either and happy to make amends.

If anyone is interested it would be fun to breakdown alot about whats going on in this vehicles design since that is not often discussed here on MUD and is like you said a matter of opinion that is not often substantiated and understandably so. This is an offroad forum.

Some friends and nuanced discussion is the meat and potatoes of this community.
Glad to contribute to a topic i know a little about for a change if there is interest.

This is rich. You've posted some pictures, you haven't broken down anything or attempted to have a real discussion.

If you work in automotive design for a living, I'm all ears - in fact I'd be happy to listen even if you don't. As of now all you've done is post some pictures and said things akin of 'I'm right, and if you disagree you're blind'. Please take the time to break down why the design is so abhorrent to you... using technical language if possible. I can tell you can write, your post above was approx 3000 words.

BTW - I'll be bidding on The Guilt of Gold Teeth. Although I might be a little short.

To clarify, my modded 200 has a wider breadth of capability. 35s and a rear locker's going to go further into technical terrain than a stock 300-series. And literally farther with fuel enough for to carry those mods to a 500 mile range. The 300-series delivered as showcased today, will outperform a stock 200-series incrementally, with some more refinement (though the LX570 is still very refined by most measures). Which is why I'm hoping the hybrid or future off-road variant may take things farther.

I've been watching the new tech roll out and the 4xE isn't really representative of what a full blown EV is off-road. The Rivan may be more analogous. Yes, it's going to be less efficient off-road, but so are gassers. 500mile range in the CT, will still translate to pretty darn good range off-road, and perhaps better than a 300-series. Granted infrastructure is still catching up, but it's getting built out very quick, and in area (CA), I can drive an EV anywhere already.
Gotcha, I dont think thats apples to apples, but I understand your logic.

I dont buy into the Rivian either. EPA estimate of 316 miles of range with 21" tires. 20 reduces range by 10-15%.... what about an actual off road tire on an 18" wheel? Its not that you can't use it as a DD in SoCal, I get it... but for an off road adventure/overland vehicle? Its much too early to be an adopter for how I use my vehicles. Not to mention Rivian's IPO had some very interesting info on how they plan to monetize the vehicle... to the tune of up to 15k a yr in subscriptions by owners.

This is rich. You've posted some pictures, you haven't broken down anything or attempted to have a real discussion.

If you work in automotive design for a living, I'm all ears - in fact I'd be happy to listen even if you don't. As of now all you've done is post some pictures and said things akin of 'I'm right, and if you disagree you're blind'. Please take the time to break down why the design is so abhorrent to you... using technical language if possible. I can tell you can write, your post above was approx 3000 words.

BTW - I'll be bidding on The Guilt of Gold Teeth. Although I might be a little short.
Oh c’mon, he has “art” hanging in his house, a “famous” relative and felt the need to enlighten us about his wife. Being the plebs that we are, we’re not worthy of his opinions, much less having our own. :)

Some thoughts on the 300:

1. Long term reliability, especially the display electronics.
Lately a lot of manufacturers are facing reliability issues with all gauge clusters being a screen. When I was shopping I looked at Cadillac, RR, and Lincoln and all the newer ones had display issues. I hope Lexus doesn’t suffer the same. Any intermittent issues will be more troublesome with more screen and less physical buttons and typically takes time to figure out. One person reported their Cadillac speedometer cluster doing dark on the freeway, I personally prefer the speedo and tach as analog dials, especially in remote areas.
Finally switching out all the display clusters after 10-15yrs might be as costly as the depreciated value of the car, IIRC the nav cluster on the 16-21 LX is about $7-8K.

2. AHC
Is there a clear idea on what’s new? So far I couldn’t find any technical information, more speculative discussions primarily.

3. The ultra luxury makes sense for markets where a buyer of this car may have a chauffeur. Not sure if it make as much sense in the US. For those that have a chauffeur, many other options are available; a lot of celebrities seem to prefer Cadillac.

4. Space in the hood seems diminished for mods, at least it seems that way based on pictures.

5. 3x locker + 18in wheels makes it more compelling, for now it seems to be Japan only. Hopefully that gets announced as a package.

6. My 10yr old thought the back looks likes a Dodge. 😱

Actually already did buddy, but do me a favor and take a hike.

Oh c’mon, he has “art” hanging in his house, a “famous” relative and felt the need to enlighten us about his wife. Being the plebs that we are, we’re not worthy of his opinions, much less having our own. :)

You’ve still said nothing relevant or intelligent or correct. How astute of you to grasp that I don’t care whatsoever about your opinion. I’m surprised you managed to understand that honestly.

BTW our art is stored in managed vaults not in the house.

Last edited:

A lot more interior shots here.

Oh, was that in his 3000 word diatribe I ignored? :D

Edit: Went back and read it. That's gold Jerry! Gold! :rofl:

In his defense he did state some reasons he dislikes the interior. But he's so pretentious and indignant over imagined attacks I can't take him seriously anymore.

Last edited:
Alright, as expected - a disappointment. I hedged my bets by buying a 2021 HE. I was wondering if the new LX might be a worthy successor to a LC 200, but wasn't very optimistic. Once 300 specs were known - very disappointing with the V6 turbo and no split-tailgate - it was rather obvious LX will be largely the same but with an ugly face. I was still holding out hope that they may surprise us with a V8 - but nope. Zero interest from me. Happy to have stocked up on the 200s...

I bet it will remain a capable vehicle and after seeing stock 200 LX'es in offroad action I have a great respect for AHC, though still would not want to own one. I will certainly be happy to see the new LX off-road and I am sure sooner or later some mudders will take them on the trail and eventually modify. A well designed bull bar may do wonders to the ugly face.

Last edited:

Seriously. 80-series era Lexus re-badging would really have paid off here. AHC could be an extra "luxury" upgrade and the base version could standard E-KDSS LC suspension.

I think the issue is they will sell the 300-series LX outside the U.S. where 300-series LC is also available so they want more differentiation from the LC.

Last edited:
There is -NO WAY- they bring a 3xLocked LX600 to the states. And a large part of that is the fact that 96% of them would never get engaged by the first owner.

Lexus/toyota didn't care that much about off-road performance with the US-market 200, and they don't care about it in the 300. Besides, to them crawl will get you anywhere you should need to go anyway. Look at their idea of going "off-map" in the promotional stuff.. tents set up in the desert serving from crystal decanters?

Also with zero hint of a hybrid offering so far, are the people hoping for that going on any solid information? Not saying it won't happen, but even the TFL guys are quoting a higher output 3.5TT with no mention of hybrid. And where would they put the batteries? Much less room as compared to a Tundra, given the folding third row.

Oh, and I love how it looks, inside and out. I don't give a s*** what journalists rate as a nice interior for a new vehicle.. Toyota has earned my confidence that this will actually work in five years... while looking great (to my eyes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom