300-series LX release date: October 13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This thread now reminds me of my cousin's parents. Whenever they were in the same room, they were always arguing/fighting. LOL
They finally got divorced couple of years back.

Let's carry on. A diesel version was also unveiled in Russia. The LX 500d using the same 3.3 liter twin turbo V6 diesel as in the LC300. HP and TQ rating are identical to the LC300.
lxp1203.jpg
lxp5002.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 14.56.12.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 14.55.29.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 15.01.17.png
Same s*** but with a diesel engine.

That grill doubles as a step ladder for oil changes, etc.
I have serious issues with design language of Lexus, Toyota, Japanese auto makers, and BMW. Huge grills are non functional, hinder aerodynamics, and makes the front end overly busy. That BMW x7, 7 series, and the 4series suffer from these same huge ass grills. I put it in the same category as fake exhaust pipes and non functional side port holes.

Toyota is also doing some weird stuff with the flying C pillar. And finally, they took a nice clean prius and lexified it with squinty eyes and tons of creases.

I don’t have any expensive art, my wife didn’t go to design school, and I don’t have any rich architect relatives, but I know what I like. IMO The lx570 sold like crap because it’s ugly compared to the competition. I was hoping Lexus would fix that. They didn’t.

That grill doubles as a step ladder for oil changes, etc.
I have serious issues with design language of Lexus, Toyota, Japanese auto makers, and BMW. Huge grills are non functional, hinder aerodynamics, and makes the front end overly busy. That BMW x7, 7 series, and the 4series suffer from these same huge ass grills. I put it in the same category as fake exhaust pipes and non functional side port holes.

Toyota is also doing some weird stuff with the flying C pillar. And finally, they took a nice clean prius and lexified it with squinty eyes and tons of creases.

I don’t have any expensive art, my wife didn’t go to design school, and I don’t have any rich architect relatives, but I know what I like. IMO The lx570 sold like crap because it’s ugly compared to the competition. I was hoping Lexus would fix that. They didn’t.

The front end needs cleaning up for sure but I agree with moj above that it is nicer looking than the LC whose grill also got huge.

I think the part we can all agree on is they brought the least appreciated design feature over from the LX 570 (the grille) and despite seeming to be the same size and shape have made it even more prominent with the use of brighter colors and pattern accents. Its obviously the most distinguishing feature of the body.
You have to wonder why the designers would bring over the most hated element of the last gen and make it the center piece of the new design smack dab front and center... The proportions even on this size of truck don't really work that well to begin with and then there are additional air vent inlets on each side?
Some of the engineers here will have to explain how they could possibly have needed more air. On the LC the side inlets look to be fake.

That being said i don't hate the grille, just the way they implemented it.
If you're going to have a huge ornate grille, in anything bright and shiny with geometric louvers it doesn't need to also have some garish shape to it.
Its way too much. It was a mistake not going fully black. I think a lot more people would like it that way.

As far the kink and chrome boomerang? Thats actually the only part of my '17 LX that i hate.
While i think it worked well on the '16+ to fill that empty pillar i never really liked its shape.
In the 600 It accentuates the most bulky panel of the whole body by creating unnecessary negative space.
Now that they've also reduced the third window panel size and made the boomerang even thicker it looks even worse.
If you look at the angled side profile there is this odd pinch point now and capped by two awkward parallel lines further drawing attention to it.
They should have just pasted that over from the LC 300 as it was as it does work well there.
Its reminds me of an enlarged Hofmeister kink for those familiar with it.

Heres some random google images. Also if youre into it, check out TheSketchMonkey on YT. I think hes the most talented guy on the internet when it comes to fixing the some of the garbage that is coming out in the automotive space.

BTW the +16+ LX actually did see a bump in sales, but it didn't really succeed in the later years because it was horribly outdated. Just like the new one.

We can also get into the interior anytime if anyone is interested to hear why i think its a a hot mess. Im sure the forum might like it honestly because of its simplicity and practically everyone here prefers the LC obviously. It would have fit very well in that model. But for this kind of money its a big fail.

side view Lexus LX 570 2015.jpg

2022-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-300-New-Zealand-front-three-quarters.jpg

2022-Lexus-LX600-7.jpg

Keep in mind you have to see these things in person. Im sure some of you are into photography and you know how focal length can distort shapes as well as obviously any flat representation will not do things justice. The M4 for example looks much better in person.

Last edited:
The front end needs cleaning up for sure but I agree with moj above that it is nicer looking than the LC whose grill also got huge.

I think the part we can all agree on is they brought the least appreciated design feature over from the LX 570 (the grille) and despite seeming to be the same size and shape have made it even more prominent with the use of brighter colors and pattern accents. Its obviously the most distinguishing feature of the body.
You have to wonder why the designers would bring over the most hated element of the last gen and make it the center piece of the new design smack dab front and center... The proportions even on this size of truck don't really work that well to begin with and then there are additional air vent inlets on each side?
Some of the engineers here will have to explain how they could possibly have needed more air. On the LC the side inlets look to be fake.

That being said i don't hate the grille, just the way they implemented it.
If you're going to have a huge ornate grille, in anything bright and shiny with geometric louvers it doesn't need to also have some garish shape to it.
Its way too much. It was a mistake not going fully black. I think a lot more people would like it that way.

As far the kink and chrome boomerang? Thats actually the only part of my '17 LX that i hate.
While i think it worked well on the '16+ to fill that empty pillar i never really liked its shape.
In the 600 It accentuates the most bulky panel of the whole body by creating unnecessary negative space.
Now that they've also reduced the third window panel size and made the boomerang even thicker it looks even worse.
If you look at the angled side profile there is this odd pinch point now and capped by two awkward parallel lines further drawing attention to it.
They should have just pasted that over from the LC 300 as it was as it does work well there.

Heres some random google images. Also if youre into it, check out TheSketchMonkey on YT. I think hes the most talented guy on the internet when it comes to fixing the some of the garbage that is coming out in the automotive space.

BTW the +16+ LX actually did see a bump in sales, but it didn't really succeed in the later years because it was horribly outdated. Just like the new one.

We can also get into the interior anytime if anyone is interested to hear why i think its a a hot mess. Im sure the forum might like it honestly because of its simplicity and practically everyone here prefers the LC obviously. It would have fit very well in that model. But for this kind of money its a big fail.

View attachment 2812077
View attachment 2812078
View attachment 2812079

Keep in mind you have to see these things in person. Im sure some of you are into photography and you know how focal length can distort shapes as well as obviously any flat representation will not do things justice. The M4 for example looks much better in person.
Its called a Hofmeister kink. For all your lecturing of us, you don't know what a Hofmeister kink is? I agree, it looks better on the LC than the LX version. I am glad Lexus has included it in their current designs across the board, as the german brands, even BMW, have started to go away from it.

Also - how are people complaining about the front grill? This is Lexus's design language. Everyone knew it was going to have a big grill. Car designers have to fit into a million different regulations from a multiple countries around the world - it makes cars very cookie cutter - so they have gone to making bold grills to stand out. I'm not promoting it, but its a fact.

The M4?!??! Haha the G82 is horrible, in person and pics.

Its called a Hofmeister kink. For all your lecturing of us, you don't know what a Hofmeister kink is? I agree, it looks better on the LC than the LX version. I am glad Lexus has included it in their current designs across the board, as the german brands, even BMW, have started to go away from it.

Also - how are people complaining about the front grill? This is Lexus's design language. Everyone knew it was going to have a big grill. Car designers have to fit into a million different regulations from a multiple countries around the world - it makes cars very cookie cutter - so they have gone to making bold grills to stand out. I'm not promoting it, but its a fact.

I put it in there actually right before you commented. I didn't know you were reading though thanks.
Yeah i like the M4 ive owned oned, and everyone knows what the hoffmeister kink is in the car community that ever been around BMWs.

Look at your comment. And you have the nerve to tell me to present evidence? LOL. You write like a literal child. Just like @eatSleepWoof.

Oh and let's be honest.. they would have sold twice as many LX570s if they had carplay.

I put it in there actually right before you commented. I didn't know you were reading though thanks.
Yeah i like the M4 ive owned oned, and everyone knows what the hoffmeister kink is in the car community that ever been around BMWs.

Look at your comment. And you have the nerve to tell me to present evidence? LOL. You write like a literal child. Just like @eatSleepWoof

Oh? I'm an editor for my wife's publishing company, I grew up the son of an author - I know you've heard of him. In fact I have been an editor of many books you've read, that have been best sellers all over the world. I know more than you, just ask me.

JK.

I am glad you're resorting to ad hominem's. Just goes to show you understand a lot less than you purport.

The M4 is the last straw in BMW's design language moving towards honing in on China as their primary market. It looks like a Audi from the side profile, the front end, albeit horrible, isnt even the worst part. Really too bad, I've owned every M3 since the E36 (still own a F80).

Look at the front end on a Tesla model 3. It’s so clean and beautiful.

4736DD7B-CBD8-4426-B95A-1976A9AB5C98.png

Oh? I'm an editor for my wife's publishing company, I grew up the son of an author - I know you've heard of him. In fact I have been an editor of many books you've read, that have been best sellers all over the world. I know more than you, just ask me.

JK.

I am glad you're resorting to ad hominem's. Just goes to show you understand a lot less than you purport.

The M4 is the last straw in BMW's design language moving towards honing in on China as their primary market. It looks like a Audi from the side profile, the front end, albeit horrible, isnt even the worst part. Really too bad, I've owned every M3 since the E36 (still own a F80).

Well good we have that in common and maybe we can stop slinging mud at each other aimlessly?

If you are into BMW 3/4 series which i have been for a long time maybe we can agree that they tend to grow on you. My F82 sure did.
I didnt like it as much in the beginning. Now its probably my fave coupe even though the i think E46 CSL is still the goat probably due mostly to nostalgia.
I didnt say the G82 was good either, i said it was better in person. I think you may agree seeing as you are in an F from presumably an E and skipped the G.
My biggest gripe in the G82 is the side profile, the silhouette just doesnt work when the car keeps growing no matter how many body lines or hockey sticks they throw at it. I think that has a lot to do with the M2s popularity. The front end isnt all as bad as is reported, just like in this LX.

That brings us back to the topic and the china effect is indeed very real. Hence the massaging rear seats on the LX 600. But like you said earlier a lot of cars are looking similar due to the eastern slant and crash safety regulations and even aerodynamic constraints. If that is the case however why does it not have a panoramic sunroof?
Does the rear seat occupant focus not necessitate some air and light? I don't understand a lot of the direction this LX is going in when obvious standard features are missing, yet the overall presentation package at least in US and Asia is luxury oriented.
ven the tundra got a pano roof. Its interior is very good too for what it is :), but not here.

You may hate the Escalade interior, and it has too many touch interfaces for my tastes, but not a single review has said anything bad about it.
Its the current best in class and will probably sell very well as they usually do. Im curious how the LX will fair.

69BAFCF3-166F-4DC4-926F-65154B3492E3.png

57897892-0624-47AC-A1A6-63CA54EE0CCD.png

Look at the grill on both of these vehicles. IMO the are both just right. My neighbor has the big Range Rover and I drool every time he drives by. Tesla passes pedestrian safety regulations without huge grills. Lexus can too.

Look at the grill on both of these vehicles. IMO the are both just right. My neighbor has the big Range Rover and I drool every time he drives by. Tesla passes pedestrian safety regulations without huge grills. Lexus can too.

Range Rover is pretty much nailing modern utilitarian and thats not very easy to do.
Single louver grille.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.09.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.11.39 AM.png

After taking a deeper look at the LX600 - this is a fine vehicle. High design, incredible refinement, and no doubt one of the highest quality vehicles to ever come out of any manufacturer. Especially having both Land Cruiser and Lexus DNA. Static pictures don't do the LX justice, with surface texturing catching real life lighting and emphasizing different lines, giving a strong and bold presence with a noticeable shoulder line. Videos of both the interior and exterior leave little question as to the development and execution prowess. There's little doubt Toyota/Lexus has a world class team. Outside of my previous evolutionary and functional comments, I can't deny this is a desirable vehicle. Sure, the new design is not and never was meant for the traditionalists. Still awaiting the higher end and hybrid announcement's, with hopefully an off-road trim.

2. AHC
Is there a clear idea on what’s new? So far I couldn’t find any technical information, more speculative discussions primarily.

AHC was already well ahead of its time. From a few nuggets I found, its going to have faster speeds and response, with more integration into MTS. There seems to be four selectable positions L, N, H1, and H2, likely to take advantage of the 300-series 30mm more travel (doesn't specify front/rear/both) over the 200-series. Which potentially could be 5 heights, as today's LX570 has 3 selectable, with one extra high position that is only system selectable. That's the user facing changes, but no doubt, underneath there will be mechanical and software/algorithm updates to manage height, damping, cross linking, spring rate selection, and possibly more. Also unknown is the system capacities, as the 200-series AHC system got a substantial payload bump from the 100-series, anecdotally from about 1400lbs to 1800lbs.

For the guy that asked what's new about the AHC. On Toyota's global website you can find a comprehensive release of what's new.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 18.50.09.png

The LX 600 in Hi2 mode:
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 18.53.17.png

You can read the full press release here:

Last edited:
Well good we have that in common and maybe we can stop slinging mud at each other aimlessly?

If you are into BMW 3/4 series which i have been for a long time maybe we can agree that they tend to grow on you. My F82 sure did.
I didnt like it as much in the beginning. Now its probably my fave coupe even though the i think E46 CSL is still the goat probably due mostly to nostalgia.
I didnt say the G82 was good either, i said it was better in person. I think you may agree seeing as you are in an F from presumably an E and skipped the G.
My biggest gripe in the G82 is the side profile, the silhouette just doesnt work when the car keeps growing no matter how many body lines or hockey sticks they throw at it. I think that has a lot to do with the M2s popularity. The front end isnt all as bad as is reported, just like in this LX.

That brings us back to the topic and the china effect is indeed very real. Hence the massaging rear seats on the LX 600. But like you said earlier a lot of cars are looking similar due to the eastern slant and crash safety regulations and even aerodynamic constraints. If that is the case however why does it not have a panoramic sunroof?
Does the rear seat occupant focus not necessitate some air and light? I don't understand a lot of the direction this LX is going in when obvious standard features are missing, yet the overall presentation package at least in US and Asia is luxury oriented.
ven the tundra got a pano roof. Its interior is very good too for what it is :), but not here.

You may hate the Escalade interior, and it has too many touch interfaces for my tastes, but not a single review has said anything bad about it.
Its the current best in class and will probably sell very well as they usually do. Im curious how the LX will fair.

I can get on board with that.

Agree, re the side profile. Listen, that grill is huge and I said for a long time it would look better in person (just like Lexus's, to my eye)... it doesnt. That being said what kills it for me is the side profile looks like an Audi/MB cross. I get it, they have to change things for all the reasons listed above, but I dont want an Audi or MB, or I'd buy one. Actually I have, haha, the W204 C63 was an AWESOME car.

The other reason I don't want a G80 is that they went backwards in their design philosophy. Albert Biermann left ///M because he didn't believe in the direction of the brand, and it marked the end of the division for the time-being, to me at least. The E90/92 were going in the wrong direction. Certainly less attractive than the E46, heavier, less dynamic car, more sound deadening, cushier seats, etc and BMW was relying on its NA engines to save the platform, which was the opposite of where the market was headed. The F was the opposite. Beirmann wanted it to be sportier again - a lighter more driver oriented vehicle. It had the best turbo engine in its class, lighter vehicle, more dynamic, fairly well done EPS, etc. It made that car the class leader again, bar none. Then BMW decided to stop that direction, and basically just threw more power and new tech at it, and redesigned it for China. Not my cup of tea.

To me the e90/92 reminds me of the 200 series, and that's a reason I like the 300 more. I like the 200 better than E90's (except the e90 makes a nice track car), but I think it was going the opposite way the market was. I think the 300 remedies a lot of those issues. No offense intended to any 200 series owners. I still think they are great trucks and I am very jealous of your front suspension.

As an aside: Way back before we started debating, I was literally asking you about the Escalade interior, not disagreeing. I think there's a design philosophy difference between Toyota and most of the vehicles you are showing, in that Toyota ensures their vehicles last for X amount of time, and therefore are less concerned with class leading design and more about longevity. I certainly prefer that for a vehicle I off-road and overland, and I buy a Toyota/Lexus knowing that.

I can get on board with that.

Agree, re the side profile. Listen, that grill is huge and I said for a long time it would look better in person (just like Lexus's, to my eye)... it doesnt. That being said what kills it for me is the side profile looks like an Audi/MB cross. I get it, they have to change things for all the reasons listed above, but I dont want an Audi or MB, or I'd buy one. Actually I have, haha, the W204 C63 was an AWESOME car.

The other reason I don't want a G80 is that they went backwards in their design philosophy. Albert Biermann left ///M because he didn't believe in the direction of the brand, and it marked the end of the division for the time-being, to me at least. The E90/92 were going in the wrong direction. Certainly less attractive than the E46, heavier, less dynamic car, more sound deadening, cushier seats, etc and BMW was relying on its NA engines to save the platform, which was the opposite of where the market was headed. The F was the opposite. Beirmann wanted it to be sportier again - a lighter more driver oriented vehicle. It had the best turbo engine in its class, lighter vehicle, more dynamic, fairly well done EPS, etc. It made that car the class leader again, bar none. Then BMW decided to stop that direction, and basically just threw more power and new tech at it, and redesigned it for China. Not my cup of tea.

To me the e90/92 reminds me of the 200 series, and that's a reason I like the 300 more. I like the 200 better than E90's (except the e90 makes a nice track car), but I think it was going the opposite way the market was. I think the 300 remedies a lot of those issues. No offense intended to any 200 series owners. I still think they are great trucks and I am very jealous of your front suspension.

As an aside: Way back before we started debating, I was literally asking you about the Escalade interior, not disagreeing. I think there's a design philosophy difference between Toyota and most of the vehicles you are showing, in that Toyota ensures their vehicles last for X amount of time, and therefore are less concerned with class leading design and more about longevity. I certainly prefer that for a vehicle I off-road and overland, and I buy a Toyota/Lexus knowing that.

Yep, its when they brought the ?Tunesian? guy from Lamborghini that I think things started to stray. He was 20 something at the time he came on board if i recall.
Theres always way too much going on in every new car. They are really designing themselves into corners across the board and somehow still look like each other.
Definitely agree regarding Toyota, but even they have stepped it up this year on the Tundra. Im giving them a lot of flack mainly because I'm a LX>LC customer. I didnt think the LC interior was bad necessarily. If you look inside the 600 its got some terrible fundamentals id be happy to markup and talk about.

For s***s and giggles, and feel free to roast both my work and the extra sloppy shop this go around, heres the direction i would have probably taken if I were Lexus on refining the front from the '16 570. While i was really just playing with it to get rid of those additional side vents, which coincidentally look like they came straight out of the audi playbook, i think it kind of works. I was trying to soften that grill, lose the predator shape, and I actually made it even bigger somehow LOL. That thing is damn near impossible to work around. When you have that many parallel sharp lines some curves really help make it feel less angular and foil shaver like.
I tried to join the old heritage fog boomerangs with the grill while still incorporating functional louvers. Not that i think they are necessary for air.
If i had better PS skills i would also enlarge the headlights, and specially the fogs. They look so dinky and lame on this massive off-roader.
I am not a designer so yall are welcome to chew me out LOL but I like it.
I think it works for brand in general and the platform, brings it up to 2021 and is a bit more classy and subdued than what we got from LEXUS.

570 inspo:
lexus_lx570_lower_chrome_grill_trim_accessories_after.jpg

Side by side:

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.16.15 PM.png

Yep, its when they brought the ?Tunesian? guy from Lamborghini that I think things started to stray. He was 20 something at the time he came on board if i recall.
Theres always way too much going on in every new car. They are really designing themselves into corners across the board and somehow still look like each other.
Definitely agree regarding Toyota, but even they have stepped it up this year on the Tundra. Im giving them a lot of flack mainly because I'm a LX>LC customer. I didnt think the LC interior was bad necessarily. If you look inside the 600 its got some terrible fundamentals id be happy to markup and talk about.

For s***s and giggles, and feel free to roast both my work and the extra sloppy shop this go around, heres the direction i would have probably taken if I were Lexus on refining the front from the '16 570. While i was really just playing with it to get rid of those additional side vents, which coincidentally look like they came straight out of the audi playbook, i think it kind of works. I was trying to soften that grill, lose the predator shape, and I actually made it even bigger somehow LOL. That thing is damn near impossible to work around. When you have that many parallel sharp lines some curves really help make it feel less angular and foil shaver like.
I tried to join the old heritage fog boomerangs with the grill while still incorporating functional louvers. Not that i think they are necessary for air.
If i had better PS skills i would also enlarge the headlights, and specially the fogs. They look so dinky and lame on this massive off-roader.
I am not a designer so yall are welcome to chew me out LOL but I like it.
I think it works for brand in general and the platform, brings it up to 2021 and is a bit more classy and subdued than what we got from LEXUS.

570 inspo:
View attachment 2812239

Side by side:

View attachment 2812240
Here’s an idea. Delete all that sh*t from the belt line down. Start 2 inches below the front L and put a traditional bumper on it. The end.

Here’s an idea. Delete all that sh*t from the belt line down. Start 2 inches below the front L and put a traditional bumper on it. The end.

Something like this LOL? :)

lexus_lx570_front_lower_chrome_grill_before.jpg

Why didn't they just think of that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom