300-series LX release date: October 13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The approach angle is not great. Even with AHC in high mode
View attachment 2811559
Compared with the LC300 (The VXR/ZX grades drops the approach angle to 24 degrees)
View attachment 2811560

The angles are still as good as, or better than both the LX570 and LC200, so it's not much of an issue IMO. Especially since 99% of buyers will never care about them, and the other 1% will likely throw on aftermarket bumpers that'll greatly improve the angles.

For what it's worth, my stock tupperware on the LX570 has been just fine. It has a few scrapes here and there, but nothing serious, and is perfectly suitable for my use case. And my use case is above and beyond what the vast majority of these vehicles will ever see.

The angles are still as good as, or better than both the LX570 and LC200, so it's not much of an issue IMO. Especially since 99% of buyers will never care about them, and the other 1% will likely throw on aftermarket bumpers that'll greatly improve the angles.

For what it's worth, my stock tupperware on the LX570 has been just fine. It has a few scrapes here and there, but nothing serious, and is perfectly suitable for my use case. And my use case is above and beyond what the vast majority of these vehicles will ever see.

Yeah, they are not great from a purely off-roading perspective but still better than most SUVs at this point. The "Offroad" trim in Japan also looks to have better approach angles as well.

I get what you're saying. Just wish Toyota did a little bit more effort with the angles to at least match its competitor (LR RR).
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 00.36.29.png

G class:
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 00.48.52.png
At least they all beat the Escalades approach angle of 18 degrees lol.

Last edited:
They really should’ve just stuck with the Land Cruiser and replaced the LX with a Sequoia-based model to compete more directly with Escalade and Navigator. I mean what do I know about marketing, but I’m pretty sure a Lexus Escalade would sell 10-15x what the LX does and become an absolute staple in conservative wealthy suburbs.
There will be 5 grades/versions of the LX. The video shows the Ultra Luxury grade. LC folks will likely gravitate towards the standard trim.

"The LX range expanded to five grades: Standard, Premium, Luxury—and first-ever F SPORT and Ultra Luxury."

I like how they pre-marked the saw-zall cuts.

LX600.jpg

The front predator grill is non-issue to me, with a bumper, it'll look more like...

Toyota-Land_Cruiser-4-Watermark.jpg

LX600 has finally landed. I think there's been plenty of aesthetic opinions and points weighed in. So I'll leave it at it's pleasing to the eye and on point for an evolutionary world class interior.

I'd rather weigh in on function. Personally, it doesn't hit the mark for me as it's much of the same. If their focus on weight for efficiency and dynamic handling didn't result in functional differences, I'm all for it. But they've traded it for function! Kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for in a full featured full size SUV. We've already lamented about the loss of the tailgate, which IMO was primarily weight driven, but that's just too bad. It was a GREAT configuration for so many functional reasons. 400+ lbs loss also traded for what seems to be a smaller 3rd row area The seats tell it as it's a 2 person row configuration. Whereas the previous cruisers were all 3 passenger configurations. Including the GX! Another trade for efficiency (narrowing teardrop to the rear) and weight I don't really care for as I get less.

The power, torque, and efficiency are all awesome and expected. But no one ever accused the 200-series to be underpowered either, especially when geared appropriately.

Glad they kept AHC and enhanced it. It, IMO, makes the cruiser and was ahead of it's time. Giving it all the capability and balance to perform unladen or when laden. This new breed of Rivian, Cybertruck, Hummer all have active suspensions to make them perform across a broad range of use cases and load.

I would have a hard time buying up into the 300-series if my 200-series stays in good working order however. As other the evolutionary progress, it doesn't deliver much for function. My current LX with 35s, locker, and aux tank easily has a wider breadth of capability. Sure, it'd be fun to do the same with a 300-series, but arrive at much the same to where I am today.

Still awaiting for Lexus to announce a hybrid variant, hopefully with some more off-road focused trim. That IMO would be a game changer with more range, more potential off-road capability between the hybrid driveline and body tailoring, maybe even high power/capacity inverter function negating need a lithium/dual batts.

In the mean time, my sights are still set on the Cybertruck that has functional differences that are starting to date these evolutionary vehicles. Granted, there's going to be trades for reliability/durability, which is the LC/LXs bread and butter.

The approach angle is not great. Even with AHC in high mode
View attachment 2811559
Compared with the LC300 (The VXR/ZX grades drops the approach angle to 24 degrees)
View attachment 2811560

Interesting to compare to previous numbers

1581186343357-png.2205308

LX600 has finally landed. I think there's been plenty of aesthetic opinions and points weighed in. So I'll leave it at it's pleasing to the eye and on point for an evolutionary world class interior.

I'd rather weigh in on function. Personally, it doesn't hit the mark for me as it's much of the same. If their focus on weight for efficiency and dynamic handling didn't result in functional differences, I'm all for it. But they've traded it for function! Kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for in a full featured full size SUV. We've already lamented about the loss of the tailgate, which IMO was primarily weight driven, but that's just too bad. It was a GREAT configuration for so many functional reasons. 400+ lbs loss also traded for what seems to be a smaller 3rd row area The seats tell it as it's a 2 person row configuration. Whereas the previous cruisers were all 3 passenger configurations. Including the GX! Another trade for efficiency (narrowing teardrop to the rear) and weight I don't really care for as I get less.

The power, torque, and efficiency are all awesome and expected. But no one ever accused the 200-series to be underpowered either, especially when geared appropriately.

Glad they kept AHC and enhanced it. It, IMO, makes the cruiser and was ahead of it's time. Giving it all the capability and balance to perform unladen or when laden. This new breed of Rivian, Cybertruck, Hummer all have active suspensions to make them perform across a broad range of use cases and load.

I would have a hard time buying up into the 300-series if my 200-series stays in good working order however. As other the evolutionary progress, it doesn't deliver much for function. My current LX with 35s, locker, and aux tank easily has a wider breadth of capability. Sure, it'd be fun to do the same with a 300-series, but arrive at much the same to where I am today.

Still awaiting for Lexus to announce a hybrid variant, hopefully with some more off-road focused trim. That IMO would be a game changer with more range, more potential off-road capability between the hybrid driveline and body tailoring, maybe even high power/capacity inverter function negating need a lithium/dual batts.

In the mean time, my sights are still set on the Cybertruck that has functional differences that are starting to date these evolutionary vehicles. Granted, there's going to be trades for reliability/durability, which is the LC/LXs bread and butter.

A lot to unpack here, I am curious how you have already decided your 200 has a wider breadth of capability - unless you are defining the tailgate (which I also like, dont get me wrong) and changes to the third row seats as "capability". To me I see no downsides to the 300 from the 200, its seems like a real evolutionary leap. The 200 reminds me of the e90/92 to me, for those into M3's.

However, what really interests me is your Cybertruck comment. TFL did some time offroad with the Wrangler 4xE. On road its 17 kWh battery did about 27 miles - off road/rock crawling, iirc it did 1.8 miles? Now, the Cybertruck will have a 6x larger battery, so - you're talking 12 miles from the trailhead Even if it was 30 or 40... thats not nearly enough. IMO electric-only trucks at this present time are not a realistic option for off-roading. They are mostly gimmicks.

I think the interior is a great improvement. The slap fighting in this thread was hard to follow but it almost seemed like somebody was offering up the Escalade and F-150 interiors as examples of better interior design. If so, you've lost all credibility from the get go. If not, then carry on.

I'm not a fan of the big chrome grill but hopefully that is on some kind of limited trim package or something. That triple locked version from Japan is sweet. Imagining that with some 34s. If that trim comes to the US, I may be tempted and surely they will have to offer triple lockers here at some point.

I too am interested in fuel capacity and range, and whether a hybrid version will be available. Could it be that we may see a triple-locked hybrid 300 at some point 😲

So I guess the entire auto industry and its journalist have lost credibility to you as well then on what have been very well received vehicles? And you have credibility though? On top of that youre not a fan of the grill eh? Maybe you don’t realize you are parroting those industry professionals and journalists favorite talking point but I think that irony would be lost on you.

There’s too many geniuses here who can’t even make a logical argument.

So I guess the entire auto industry and its journalist have lost credibility to you as well then on what have been very well received vehicles? And you have credibility though? On top of that youre not a fan of the grill eh? Maybe you don’t realize you are parroting those industry professionals and journalists favorite talking point but I think that irony would be lost on you.

There’s too many geniuses here who can’t even make a logical argument.

Ok. I get it. You are angry and maybe need a nap or something. I can say without hesitation that, no, I have no credibility, and I doubt anybody on here that knows me in real life would argue. Like you, I am a person posting on a message board. Unlike you, I don't care at all about what you think. I suspect nobody does, regardless of what they say in your presence. So carry on throwing a fit because nobody agrees with your aesthetic sensibilities. Or don't.

Agreed. While a tried and true strategy the marginal improvements and iterations are just not enough in 2021.

Heres what i think after digesting it for a bit.

I do hate the inside as its a huge step back from clean linear but still organic flowing dash of 2016+ and so will those are actually spending the money on it.
Lexus went overly straight and minimal here and just ended up at the intersection of plain, cheap and boring.
There are not enough contrasting materials and textures and the new falcon wood is too busy to appreciate the quality of wood used kind of defeating the purpose.
That sort of thing is best implemented by the use of carbon fiber as the simple weave pattern and darkness softens it and presents less harshly up close.
We have quilted seats now which i don't think really suit the brand but some may like that i guess. I would have preferred something like alcantara bolsters for grip when being tossed around off road and to prevent the inevitable cracking of the leather. That would have been a neat feature blend of luxury and adventuring and the type of stories marketers and sales love to tell that make launches and brands more interesting and personal.
The infotainment displays and controls while they free us from remote touch (which im actually crazy enough to like) are centered and will suffer from poor off angle viewing specially for taller people in a vehicle this large. Other than the fact i don't think touchscreens belong in cars as they are clunky, greasy and unsafe. I dont fault Lexus because they simply have no choice. The consumer demand is too strong to be reasoned with as it makes things appear more technologically advanced. That was the whole point of remote touch, and its obvious they didnt try that again. VIP stuff is nice for those markets that want it and appeases my off-road s-class obsessions well enough. I welcome any improvement to the rear seating as the current leg room has never been too great. Not that I would ever get a trim like that but rear seats need a bit more leg space in the current and outgoing models.

The exterior however is a perfect meld of the previous LX and the new LC. If the metal grille were brushed black, I think it would be VERY nice and not so much like a shaver. They trimmed in all of the superfluous skirting of the old front and rear bumpers but maybe not as much as we would like on MUD. Anything is better than the bulbous beginnings both the LX and LC had '08-15. I still think its both stout and boxy but modern and masculine. There was a tad bit too much aggression on the '16+ body lines and with all of its random angles. This is now nicely refined and balanced but still an homage to its square predecessors and Japanese, in the best sense. It even looks lighter which is hard to achieve at this scale. 22's well, again thats the consumer demand and I cant fault them for it.

In terms of performance /functionality im happy AHC is here and improved and glad to see the available LSD and factory locker options carry over to Lexus. I think that was really smart and no one has any business fiending for an LC if they really wanted on in the USA. This is smart product positioning by Toyota.

Thats really all that was new here so I still need to see the 600h/750h before i start crapping on it.
Right now im at no pano roof, and no hybrid? Im out.
I would rather have the new Tundra and I don't like trucks all that much LOL.

A lot to unpack here, I am curious how you have already decided your 200 has a wider breadth of capability - unless you are defining the tailgate (which I also like, dont get me wrong) and changes to the third row seats as "capability". To me I see no downsides to the 300 from the 200, its seems like a real evolutionary leap. The 200 reminds me of the e90/92 to me, for those into M3's.

However, what really interests me is your Cybertruck comment. TFL did some time offroad with the Wrangler 4xE. On road its 17 kWh battery did about 27 miles - off road/rock crawling, iirc it did 1.8 miles? Now, the Cybertruck will have a 6x larger battery, so - you're talking 12 miles from the trailhead Even if it was 30 or 40... thats not nearly enough. IMO electric-only trucks at this present time are not a realistic option for off-roading. They are mostly gimmicks.

To clarify, my modded 200 has a wider breadth of capability. 35s and a rear locker's going to go further into technical terrain than a stock 300-series. And literally farther with fuel enough for to carry those mods to a 500 mile range. The 300-series delivered as showcased today, will outperform a stock 200-series incrementally, with some more refinement (though the LX570 is still very refined by most measures). Which is why I'm hoping the hybrid or future off-road variant may take things farther.

I've been watching the new tech roll out and the 4xE isn't really representative of what a full blown EV is off-road. The Rivan may be more analogous. Yes, it's going to be less efficient off-road, but so are gassers. 500mile range in the CT, will still translate to pretty darn good range off-road, and perhaps better than a 300-series. Granted infrastructure is still catching up, but it's getting built out very quick, and in area (CA), I can drive an EV anywhere already.

Agreed. While a tried and true strategy the marginal improvements and iterations are just not enough in 2021.

Heres what i think after digesting it for a bit.

I do hate the inside as its a huge step back from clean linear but still organic flowing dash of 2016+ and so will those are actually spending the money on it.
Lexus went overly straight and minimal here and just ended up at the intersection of plain, cheap and boring.
There are not enough contrasting materials and textures and the new falcon wood is too busy to appreciate the quality of wood used kind of defeating the purpose.
That sort of thing is best implemented by the use of carbon fiber as the simple weave pattern and darkness softens it and presents less harshly up close.
We have quilted seats now which i don't think really suit the brand but some may like that i guess. I would have preferred something like alcantara bolsters for grip when being tossed around off road and to prevent the inevitable cracking of the leather. That would have been a neat feature blend of luxury and adventuring and the type of stories marketers and sales love to tell that make launches and brands more interesting and personal.
The infotainment displays and controls while they free us from remote touch (which im actually crazy enough to like) are centered and will suffer from poor off angle viewing specially for taller people in a vehicle this large. Other than the fact i don't think touchscreens belong in cars as they are clunky, greasy and unsafe. I dont fault Lexus because they simply have no choice. The consumer demand is too strong to be reasoned with as it makes things appear more technologically advanced. That was the whole point of remote touch, and its obvious they didnt try that again. VIP stuff is nice for those markets that want it and appeases my off-road s-class obsessions well enough. I welcome any improvement to the rear seating as the current leg room has never been too great. Not that I would ever get a trim like that but rear seats need a bit more leg space in the current and outgoing models.

The exterior however is a perfect meld of the previous LX and the new LC. If the metal grille were brushed black, I think it would be VERY nice and not so much like a shaver. They trimmed in all of the superfluous skirting of the old front and rear bumpers but maybe not as much as we would like on MUD. Anything is better than the bulbous beginnings both the LX and LC had '08-15. I still think its both stout and boxy but modern and masculine. There was a tad bit too much aggression on the '16+ body lines and with all of its random angles. This is now nicely refined and balanced but still an homage to its square predecessors and Japanese, in the best sense. It even looks lighter which is hard to achieve at this scale. 22's well, again thats the consumer demand and I cant fault them for it.

In terms of performance /functionality im happy AHC is here and improved and glad to see the available LSD and factory locker options carry over to Lexus. I think that was really smart and no one has any business fiending for an LC if they really wanted on in the USA. This is smart product positioning by Toyota.

Thats really all that was new here so I still need to see the 600h/750h before i start crapping on it.
Right now im at no pano roof, and no hybrid? Im out.
I would rather have the new Tundra and I don't like trucks all that much LOL.
08-15 were the best looking lx years. Fight me.

08-15 were the best looking lx years. Fight me.

LOL that is the hottest take ive ever heard. With the girly eye-lashed tailights? Noooooo.

Ok. I get it. You are angry and maybe need a nap or something. I can say without hesitation that, no, I have no credibility, and I doubt anybody on here that knows me in real life would argue. Like you, I am a person posting on a message board. Unlike you, I don't care at all about what you think. I suspect nobody does, regardless of what they say in your presence. So carry on throwing a fit because nobody agrees with your aesthetic sensibilities. Or don't.

Hey buddy im up from my nap you know and now that my diapers’ve been changed i wanted to tell you that I already know I’m arguing about aesthetics with people who probably don’t have a single piece of art in their house and live in the woods. You know whats even funnier to me? None of you have made a SINGLE valid point about why the interior is nice. Im tired of grown men fanboying. If someone dares to say anything negative theres always someone that takes it personally and thats sad when we’re talking about a product your grandmother didn’t build. If gentlemen with such fine and refined taste such as yourselves were even close to being in the market for this, which is not your car just as much as I’m not an adventure over-lander, you would have a much more discerning and skeptical outlook. When you spend $100k+ you get to be a little picky right? If you think that interior is on par with what the rest of the industry is doing you need go spend some time in them and get out of the cabin.

There are even people out there that like the Tesla interiors so who am i to bring up credibility? Oh right, that was you with the illogical arguments. Speaking of credibility I may have a little. I help operate my wife’s design business actually. She has a masters in art history from France and a bachelors in interior design from the best school in the country. Ive learned a lot working with her for the past several years on a variety of projects. Ive also worked with many architects and have a very famous one in my family, was raised in the art business (my father being one of 7 world recognized and published experts in his field) and probably visited every art museum in Europe before the age of ten. I spent a few years also working in London actually with the worlds most prestigious auction houses managing important private collections and knew several of the resident experts on personal terms. In my professional life, I’ve designed the technology infrastructure in buildings you have probably seen or toured in SF, NY, Paris, London, and Dublin alongside award winning interior designers, architects and graphic designers. But that doesn’t matter because I don’t think any of you will be buying this car or shopping it’s rivals any time soon anyway. I guess when your mind is as closed as yours it’s easier to mock your way into a fallacious argument than to actually have a discussion. If you have a take or opinion on the LX go ahead, but don’t critique me when don’t even have that, let alone credibility.

Im mocking the car, that doesn’t mean anyone is going to mock me in return. Go ahead and contribute something or move on. Trust me i don’t care at all what you think either. That goes for the three of you stooges. Let me hear what is so special about the design of the interior or be quiet. Wow its square with a screen. Bravo, I’ve seen what it takes to impress you people, your applause means nothing.

Hey buddy im up from my nap you know and now that my diapers’ve been changed i wanted to tell you that I already know I’m arguing about aesthetics with people who probably don’t have a single piece of art in their house and live in the woods. You know whats even funnier to me? None of you have made a SINGLE valid point about why the interior is nice. Im tired of grown men fanboying. If someone dares to say anything negative theres always someone that takes it personally and thats sad when we’re talking about a product your grandmother didn’t build. If gentlemen with such fine and refined taste such as yourselves were even close to being in the market for this, which is not your car just as much as I’m not an adventure over-lander, you would have a much more discerning and skeptical outlook. When you spend $100k+ you get to be a little picky right? If you think that interior is on par with what the rest of the industry is doing you need go spend some time in them and get out of the cabin.

There are even people out there that like the Tesla interiors so who am i to bring up credibility? Oh right, that was you with the illogical arguments. Speaking of credibility I may have a little. I help operate my wife’s design business actually. She has a masters in art history from France and a bachelors in interior design from the best school in the country. Ive learned a lot working with her for the past several years on a variety of projects. Ive also worked with many architects and have a very famous one in my family, was raised in the art business (my father being one of 7 world recognized and published experts in his field) and probably visited every art museum in Europe before the age of ten. I spent a few years also working in London actually with the worlds most prestigious auction houses managing important private collections and knew several of the resident experts on personal terms. In my professional life, I’ve designed the technology infrastructure in buildings you have probably seen or toured in SF, NY, Paris, London, and Dublin alongside award winning interior designers, architects and graphic designers. But that doesn’t matter because I don’t think any of you will be buying this car or shopping it’s rivals any time soon anyway. I guess when your mind is as closed as yours it’s easier to mock your way into a fallacious argument than to actually have a discussion. If you have a take or opinion on the LX go ahead, but don’t critique me when don’t even have that, let alone credibility.

Im mocking the car, that doesn’t mean anyone is going to mock me in return. Go ahead and contribute something or move on. Trust me i don’t care at all what you think either. That goes for the three of you stooges. Let me hear what is so special about the design of the interior or be quiet. Wow its square with a screen. Bravo, I’ve seen what it takes to impress you people, your applause means nothing.
Calm down, Karen.

Calm down, Karen.

People will literally mock you and have no idea what theyre talking about. What am i supposed to do?
No one needs to be insulted and then on top of that every single said was wrong too or just absent.

You like the 08-15 for example, no problem i think its great that you prefer it. If i hate it, do you need to lash out?
Thats childish as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom