Electronic fuel pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this question doesn’t seem too stupid but I’m assuming this is an electronic fuel pump in front of my fuel filter? I installed a new carburetor and it ran like a top and all the sudden it won’t start. It doesn’t appear to get any gas to the carburetor. I’m gonna change the fuel filter because there was rust in my tank couple years ago what was just wondering what that was in front of the fuel filter it’s a gold canister with wires going to it Has to be a fuel pump? 73 fj40

74A05393-6F7B-4596-A25D-202CCDDF9CAA.jpeg

A4E5A799-623D-46B7-9781-DE18781C71F9.jpeg

It does look like an electric pump. Is there wires running to it? Maybe a fuse blew for the pump?

Rust in the tank may have taken its toll on the pump. You may want to consider a pre-filter to protect the pump.
With the key to the on position but engine not running, you should be able to hear or feel the pump running.
If the pump is bad, you may want to consider going back to the original mechanical pump, but I guess replacing the pump you have now would be the easiest.

Pre-filter is a great idea I’ll check the current filter if I hear the fuel pump running maybe that’s just the answer there and then I’ll put a pre-filter on. Thanks so much guys. So this would’ve originally been a mechanical fuel pump? So what would wanna do there’s some kind of Peace that mimics the fuel pump. It doesn’t have the arm on it that you would put where the old mechanical fuel pump was? Or do people just leave the old fuel pump in there and then add an electronic one

There's really very little point to placing that filter inline after the pump. If it's not on the upstream side, it should be. The pump should be on the lower right front corner of the engine (from the driver's point of view). If it's not there, there should be a block-off plate in its place.

IMO, mechanical pumps are far more reliable than electric pumps. Especially the cheap Chinese crap.

If the mechanical pump dies, you can remove the actuator lever (or cut it short) so it doesn't pump anymore, but it's a bad idea. You'd also have to plug the inlet/outlet ports so that nothing gets in it, because if the diaphram has failed, you could expose the engine internals to external contamination.

Ebay has electric fuel pumps for less than $20. I like the clear fuel filters so you can see what is going on inside. Ones with a paper element will absorb water and stop passing fuel until you dry them out in the sun - have several so you can rotated them threw your system.

Alcohol proof fuel tank liner treatment was a good investment for me many years ago.

We ditch every single electric fuel pump that is used on a carbed cruiser. Just not safe and they are noisy. The factory mechanical pump will outlast the electric one.

Ebay has electric fuel pumps for less than $20. I like the clear fuel filters so you can see what is going on inside. Ones with a paper element will absorb water and stop passing fuel until you dry them out in the sun - have several so you can rotated them threw your system.

Alcohol proof fuel tank liner treatment was a good investment for me many years ago.
Alcohol proof liner???

Details! Details!

Back in the mid 80's the gas tank started to weep at a few places along the seam. JC Whitney offered 2 different gas tank liner treatment systems. The alcohol proof stuff cost a little more. Followed the directions, no weep ever since.
POR15 has a complete kit for like $120 to do the tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom