2013-2015 headlamp replacement - HID low beam (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HID low beam is the one I'm struggling with. Grey connector wire isn't releasing which I think needs to happen before turning the cover. I'm not using any tools but is there something you have to do to the connector like use a small screwdriver?

I was actually messing with the same exact thing just this morning. Yeah, those connectors are tough to get off, seems like the hardest part is getting the "catch" that keeps it on to release, you have to push on that little lever.

@gaijin have you swapped out your HID bulbs for LEDs?

HID low beam is the one I'm struggling with. Grey connector wire isn't releasing which I think needs to happen before turning the cover. I'm not using any tools but is there something you have to do to the connector like use a small screwdriver?

I was actually messing with the same exact thing just this morning. Yeah, those connectors are tough to get off, seems like the hardest part is getting the "catch" that keeps it on to release, you have to push on that little lever.

@gaijin have you swapped out your HID bulbs for LEDs?

@KLF has it right - it is a small catch that has to release in order to pull the connector free. Keep at it, it will eventually come free.

I did not change the HID's for LED's - the HID's are really very good as is. I did replace the OEM HID bulb with one that was a closer color match to the IPF LED's I put in my High Beams.

Here's what the OEM HID Low Beams looked like in comparison to the IPF LED's:

LC200LED2_06FEB18_zpskeowqcni.jpg

The IPF LED's are 6200K and the OEM HID bulbs are 4300K, so I substituted a 6000K HID bulb and they look like this now:

LC200LED3_06FEB18_zpswruone3q.jpg

I like it a lot better.

HTH

Finally got it. Thanks for the help. Trying osram night breaker unlimited d4s. Likely not too much change as the the stock bulbs were also osram xenarc bulbs. If I would have known that I may have held off on a bulb change.

Which bulb are you talking about?

I assume you have a 2013 LC200, right? Here are the locations of the High Beam halogen bulb and the HID Low Beam bulb on the passenger side looking forward:

LC200Lights1_30MAR18_zpsvh4bztbl.jpg

The High Beam is simple - disconnect the bulb and then turn the bulb base counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pull it out of the headlight housing.

The HID Low Beam is a little more involved. Disconnect the connector on the back of the metal cover, then turn the cover counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pull it off. Then disconnect the inner connector to the bulb, release the spring retainer for the bulb, and pull it straight out.

Here's a pic of the HID Low Beam cover and inner connector after removal:

LC200Lights2_30MAR18_zpslgksilpw.jpg

Does this answer your question, or am I missing something?

HTH

Okay, what kind of voodoo did you do to get the round metal housing off from the low beam? I got the power connector out, but for the life of me, I can't get the thing to budge. Does it screw out, or just pop out, or what in the world did you do to remove it?

Okay, what kind of voodoo did you do to get the round metal housing off from the low beam? I got the power connector out, but for the life of me, I can't get the thing to budge. Does it screw out, or just pop out, or what in the world did you do to remove it?

No VooDoo - just turn the housing 1/2 turn counter-clockwise and pull off:

LC200LED4_06FEB18_zpsaxji7asy.jpg

HIDremoval_16AUG18_zpsodalz1on.jpg

HIDremova2l_16AUG18_zpssazwfakn.jpg

Don't forget to install new O-Rings (Part # in pic)

HTH

Yeah, that's what I was afraid you were going to say. I guess I need to eat my spinach because I can't budge it. I guess I'll keep trying. Thanks for the write up though, at least it points me in the right direction.

So, just a little tip I figured out for anyone having trouble removing the low beam light assembly...Try it when your engine is hot! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why I couldn't get the thing to budge, but I've always tried when the car was cooled off. I went over to a friends house just to see if he had any ideas, and when I went to try to show him, of course it came off like a champ. The difference being the engine bay was hot, so I'm assuming when it cools off, the assembly tended to seize up. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with everyone.

Hey folks, thanks for contributing to this thread. I have LX570 '14 and my question is - has anyone tried to put LEDs instead of OEM low and/or high beams? I am not happy especially with low beams, even though they are HIDs. Do they loose brightness with time? Would replacing them with new HIDs help? I'd ideally want to swap both low and high beams for LEDs (unless replacing low beams with new HIDs can give similar light output), but I am not sure if this would be an easy swap, or if I need to buy some other bulb covers/lids.

I am basically looking to get the brightest light out of both low and high beams in my car. I'll be adding roof single row LED bar + probably ditch lights, but I still want to have the best road lights possible.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hey folks, thanks for contributing to this thread. I have LX570 '14 and my question is - has anyone tried to put LEDs instead of OEM low and/or high beams? I am not happy especially with low beams, even though they are HIDs. Do they loose brightness with time? Would replacing them with new HIDs help? I'd ideally want to swap both low and high beams for LEDs (unless replacing low beams with new HIDs can give similar light output), but I am not sure if this would be an easy swap, or if I need to buy some other bulb covers/lids.

I am basically looking to get the brightest light out of both low and high beams in my car. I'll be adding roof single row LED bar + probably ditch lights, but I still want to have the best road lights possible.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old bulbs can get dull, but how many miles are on this truck? I’m not sure new factory bulbs would get what you are looking for. Are your lenses clear or faded from sun?

I’m very happy with both the expensive Philips xtremevision in my cruiser and the cheaper osram nightbreakers in my DD. I can’t imagine any LED conversion putting the light in a useful place.. many of the LED bulbs make copious amounts of light, but it doesn’t end up being as usable as stock because they can’t put the emitting element exactly where it was in the factory incandescent bulb. And for example when you consider that it’s often 2 inches from the bulb to the reflector then that beam must be sent out 100 yards, very small changes in emitter position have a huge effect on light pattern on the road.

Hi @bloc, thanks for quick answer. Car has 145k miles and I don't know when was the last time that bulbs were replaced. I cleaned headlights with special kit and removed 99% of oxidation from lenses. They still seem to have some kind of layer of whatever it is (looks like dust) on the inner side, but I don't want to get into removing the whole assembly and so on. I don't think it plays a very significant role in light output, it's more of a cosmetic issue visible at night.

I get your explanation with importance of bulb placement, 100% agreed. I'll try to replace them with new HIDs then and see if it gets better or not. Thanks for your input.

IMG_2198_2.jpg

Max, I feel ya on the poor quality of headlights on the 2013-2015 LX570. I'm pulling my hair out about it. Right now, one of my brights is jacked up and pointing up in the trees....you know, like you see on some early 2000's Hyundai sedan that's been wrecked three times in the Dollar General parking lot. The other bright is kinda pointed down at the road. Both are pretty much useless for brighter lights.

The Low beams are kinda like decent flashlights out there. Enough to see at 20 mph, but in rural areas, not sufficient.

I really need to find a place where I can work and see and close a door/turn out the lights to check headlamp adjustment. Just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not interested in some duct-tape-and-paper-clip change out to Uncle Larry's Lights LED package, so I see some aftermarket aux LEDs that are semi-concealed to be installed in the future.

I just got my 09 lx a couple weeks ago, just took it on a long road trip, had to do some of that driving at night. Neither low beams or high beams put out much light at all, only times I could see anything was the few times other cars came up behind me and their headlights illuminated in front of me. Time for be bulbs! There’s a good thread in here somewhere about led options vs hid. And some mention of an RX swap. I’m going to attempt a thread search and I’ll order up tonight and refer back here to change them out. She handled the snowy roads like a champ! Would have been better if I could have seen though!

I just got my 09 lx a couple weeks ago, just took it on a long road trip, had to do some of that driving at night. Neither low beams or high beams put out much light at all, only times I could see anything was the few times other cars came up behind me and their headlights illuminated in front of me. Time for be bulbs! There’s a good thread in here somewhere about led options vs hid. And some mention of an RX swap. I’m going to attempt a thread search and I’ll order up tonight and refer back here to change them out. She handled the snowy roads like a champ! Would have been better if I could have seen though!
There is a huge difference in output and beam cutoff between the halogen 08-11 and factory xenon/hid 13-15.

Aftermarket LEDs will make a lot of light but wont necessarily put it in the right place. You can try HIR bulbs which increase output significantly but don’t have the positioning sacrifices of surface mount LEDs.

I bought a pair of Osram 200% NightBreaker Laser HID bulbs and they are not any brighter than the stock Toshiba bulbs, albeit they are much more expensive.

I bought a pair of Osram 200% NightBreaker Laser HID bulbs and they are not any brighter than the stock Toshiba bulbs, albeit they are much more expensive.
Have any data to support that? There’s plenty online showing increased lux from these bulbs over typical stock parts. I guess yours are defective?

Or more realistically, you just can’t tell that they actually are brighter.

I have these on my DD and did a side-by-side comparison. Absolutely brighter in that application.

Have any data to support that? There’s plenty online showing increased lux from these bulbs over typical stock parts. I guess yours are defective?

Or more realistically, you just can’t tell that they actually are brighter.

I have these on my DD and did a side-by-side comparison. Absolutely brighter in that application.
I replaced one side and compared both sides together. I don't have any data.

Would be nice if you could supply some or any evidence that they are actually brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom