2013-2015 headlamp replacement - HID low beam (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any experience with replacing the HID low beam headlamps on a 2013-2015 200LC? Replace bulb? Replace bulb and ballast? Go ahead and do both sides at same time (sounds pricey)?

The driver's side went out on mine last night. It has flickered occasionally for the last 10k miles.

Swap your bulbs (driver side to passenger side and vice versa). If the flickering moves to the other side, it's a bad bulb. If it stays on the same side, it's the ballast.

I would replace HID bulbs as a pair. Otherwise the color might not match

As far as swapping out the bulbs, or replacing with new ones. What does that process require? After doing some ih8mud & google searching it appears the front bumper cover may need to come off to remove the assembly...? How many :banana: job? I like grease and oil and bearings, I don't like painted body parts, plastic trim clips, and wiring.

The fogs require the removal of just enough clips to reach your arm in through the front of the fender liner / wheel well to unclip/unplug the old and do the same for the new.

As far as swapping out the bulbs, or replacing with new ones. What does that process require? After doing some ih8mud & google searching it appears the front bumper cover may need to come off to remove the assembly...? How many :banana: job? I like grease and oil and bearings, I don't like painted body parts, plastic trim clips, and wiring.

No need to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs. For extra clearance, you might have to loosen the battery holder to move the battery a bit if you have a large battery in there

I’m not sure DOT has finalized standards for aftermarket LEDs used to replace halogen and HID bulbs. Last I heard it was forthcoming. In states like VA it’s just one more thing for them to fail you on your annual inspection...

Nevertheless bulb replacement on the low and high beams on ‘13-‘15s is reasonably simple. As noted previously the batter can get in the way but just loosen it up a bit and you can get to the bulb...

If I end up needing to remove the battery, are there any sneaky tricks when dis-connecting & re-connecting the battery on a 13-15 200? (i.e. losing radio presets; security codes for audio system)

Toyota HID uses Toshiba bulbs in 43000K temperature. You can get them here.
Toshiba D4S Xenon HID Bulbs 4300K 35W for Lexus and Toyota (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CP40LE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_z4YIAbV8FTYM6

LED will be more “white” in color. If considering I would look at Hikari’s 1200lmn Philips LED bulbs.
HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9),Philips Lumileds 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_E7YIAbBE5Y6QH

It is likely just a bulb and not ballast that is needed, swap as described above to trouble shoot. I would suggest replacing in pairs.

My opinion, if you have HID, stay with HID.

If I end up needing to remove the battery, are there any sneaky tricks when dis-connecting & re-connecting the battery on a 13-15 200? (i.e. losing radio presets; security codes for audio system)
Replace the passenger side bulb first so you can actually see what you’re doing as well as get a feel for it. If you don’t have giagantor hands and you have a OEM size battery you can swap out the driver side bulb without disconnecting or removing the battery. Just loosen the battery mount so you can wiggle the battery out of the way. You may not have a good view of what you are doing but if you paid attention as to what you did on the passenger side you should literally be able to do it with your eyes closed. Just be patient.

Anyone have any experience with replacing the HID low beam headlamps on a 2013-2015 200LC? Replace bulb? Replace bulb and ballast? Go ahead and do both sides at same time (sounds pricey)?

The driver's side went out on mine last night. It has flickered occasionally for the last 10k miles.

On my 2013 LC200, I just replaced the stock HID bulbs with some cooler temp HID bulbs from Philips. My strong advice would be to replace your HID bulbs with new HID bulbs and avoid LED's for the low beams. Some flicker when going over bumps is normal - I've had it since the truck was new - so doubt you need to mess with the ballast, new bulbs should be good. And to repeat what others have said, you should replace both bulbs.

Here's what I put in mine:

LC200LED4_06FEB18_zpsaxji7asy.jpg

Note that the Manual says the O-Ring seals on the HID housing are NOT a re-useable part and should be replaced with new O-Rings when the bulbs are replaced - note the part number in my pic.

Shown here is the passenger side HID housing with the rear cover removed and the bulb socket detached:

LC200LED5_06FEB18_zps2budr2at.jpg

Both are removed by turning counter-clockwise about a quarter turn. This gives you access to the HID bulb which is held in place with a spring. Once at this stage, it's easy - remove old bulb, insert new bulb, hook up the spring retainer, install new O-Ring on rear housing, attach bulb socket and finally attach rear housing.

Driver's side is more difficult - I had to remove my battery to gain access to the HID housing. I hooked my battery cables up to a separate supply so I could maintain 12V to the system when the battery was removed. This avoids any reprogramming/initialization that might be required.

Just take your time and note what each connector looks like because you will be doing a lot of the work by feel.

Here's what the stock Driver Side HID low beam looked like in comparison to the IPF HLB2 LED bulb I used to replace my high beams:

LC200LED2_06FEB18_zpskeowqcni.jpg

And here's what the new Philips HID bulb looks like in comparison to the IPF LED high beam:

LC200LED3_06FEB18_zpswruone3q.jpg

You may find more info in my posts about the install here: Anyone tried Xenopro LED headlights?

HTH

Update: replaced both sides tonight. Doing the passenger side first was sound advice. There is much more room to work on that side and you can get a better idea of how to go at the driver side.
Note: (for driver side) I removed the washer fluid filler neck and moved the battery over a couple inches. I went with the Toshiba HIDs mentioned above from Amazon and they fit well and appear to deliver quality light.
Thanks again for your insights.

I’m not sure DOT has finalized standards for aftermarket LEDs used to replace halogen and HID bulbs. Last I heard it was forthcoming. In states like VA it’s just one more thing for them to fail you on your annual inspection...

I was wondering about this myself, as I have the IFP LED's installed in my 2010. But just had my state inspection done at the dealer, and no issues.

I pulled the IPF LEDs out of my '11 before I traded it in (put the old halogens back in). But the HIDs in the '15 are so good, I don't see any incentive to swap to LEDs.

Ive had several people try to get to the bulb. Did you pull the connector and then turn the cover? Connector and cover won't budge either side. I must be missing a step.

Ive had several people try to get to the bulb. Did you pull the connector and then turn the cover? Connector and cover won't budge either side. I must be missing a step.

Which bulb are you talking about?

I assume you have a 2013 LC200, right? Here are the locations of the High Beam halogen bulb and the HID Low Beam bulb on the passenger side looking forward:

LC200Lights1_30MAR18_zpsvh4bztbl.jpg

The High Beam is simple - disconnect the bulb and then turn the bulb base counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pull it out of the headlight housing.

The HID Low Beam is a little more involved. Disconnect the connector on the back of the metal cover, then turn the cover counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pull it off. Then disconnect the inner connector to the bulb, release the spring retainer for the bulb, and pull it straight out.

Here's a pic of the HID Low Beam cover and inner connector after removal:

LC200Lights2_30MAR18_zpslgksilpw.jpg

Does this answer your question, or am I missing something?

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom