2005 GX470 vs 2004 100-Series Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to buy a 2004 Landcruiser, but stumbled onto the GX470. I have a 96 FZJ80, so I'm very familiar with the 80s and the 100s.

How does a 2005 GX470 compare to a 2004 LC in terms of freeway comfort for the ride to the trails, in terms of offroad capability in medium rated trails, in terms of aftermarket parts (mainly sliders, skid plates, and 2-3" lift), in terms of cost of ownership.

If I get a 2004 LC 100-series, I would put Slee sliders, OME 2.5 Medium Lift, Slee Underbelly Skid Plates, and 285/75R18 AT tires. That would be my offroad mods to do light to medium trails.

If I get a 2005 GX470, I would try to do similar mods. Not sure what's available. Not sure how the GX470 stacks up to said 100-series.

If you have pros and cons for each model relative to each other...that would be awesome! I'm not looking to start a war, but just some information to help choose one over the other.

There is a thread. I am happy to discuss. Also check out gxor on fb.

Pm me and happy to walk through it on the phone.

Don't know that there's any reason to take this offline/to other areas since it was asked here, but.....

The only tangible difference these days between the 2 is size, perhaps slight mpg difference, and 6-lug vs 5-lug. ;) GX aftermarket is really picking up, lifts have been around for a while. Skids, sliders are readily available; more bumper options are coming out (there are already a handful).

Can't go wrong with either! I'd be more concerned about maintenance/accident history, and finding "the one."

Offline vs. already present and not wanting yet another thread was my point. I will see if I can find the thread.

I'm reading through the links. Good discussions on the differences between the two. Some threads are over 10 years old.

It's too bad the thread from Romer was taken offline. He had some very good questions on common parts between the 100 and the GX470 for trail repairs.

Last edited:
There are very few parts common as the front and rear axles are completely different. Engine is the same.

If it's of any value to you, I was looking at both when I finally settled on going the GX route. 100's I was looking at were easily coming in at least $7,500 higher than a comparable year/condition GX. Enough research showed the GX to be very capable offroad for the type of wheeling I do, aftermarket options exist, it's lighter than a 100, etc.

I still haven't spent $7,500 for aftermarket items but am lifted, almost 100% fully baselined, bigger tires, etc. and couldn't be happier. Medium trails are NO problem at all....and freeway comfort and performance is why I upgraded over my current 80 in the first place.

Yes, I definitely wanted the tailgate to read 'Land Cruiser' but don't regret this at all......this thing rocks.

My $.02...GL!

How much do you want to spend. If the difference in price is $7500 for a similar mileage and condition LX vs GX you could invest a lot of extra into the GX for the some outlay in money. Essentially both are equally capable if modded similarly. Difference is size is going to mater on some trails.

When my 80 died and realized I wasn't going to drop $16k for a V8 swap I never considered the 100 series and went straight to the GX. It's a no brainer in my opinion. I am wheeling the snot out of mine in stock condition and will be doing everything I did in my 80 once I have my lift installed.

Yeah, I'm seeing that $7500 price difference between the GX470 and the LC100. The LC100s in the Los Angeles area are expensive and not too many available in good condition with low miles. There are more GX470s available.

There are a couple of negatives on the GX470 over the LC100 that I read and would like more comments on:
1. Rear door has no tailgate and it's a pain when parked on an angle
2. Drives tall and maybe not as comfy as 100 in freeway?
3. Narrow all around, so less cargo space

Also, if I was to travel to Mexico and Central America, are parts readily available from Toyota dealers in Latin America? I suppose those parts would be from a LandCruiser Prado/120?

1. Yep, 2. no, way no, 3. 10 CU ft.

I'm really liking the GX470 right now. It seems to meet my freeway comfort needs, medium offroad trail needs, and my wallet.

What about the availability of parts in Latin America?

Does the GX470 require premium gas per owner's manual? This might offset the slightly better gas mileage. I know that you can always use regular unleaded, but this also reduces power and gas mileage if manual says to use premium. Lower octane can also produce engine knocking. If this happens, then you gotta go up in octane.

Would a broom stick solve the problem of the rear door when parked at an angle? Or what other solutions to ease the pain of the rear door?

You can lock the rear door in the full open position if yours is still stock.

I do not think the 04,05 requires premium fuel.

1. Rear door has no tailgate and it's a pain when parked on an angle
2. Drives tall and maybe not as comfy as 100 in freeway?
3. Narrow all around, so less cargo space

1 - as mentioned above, there's a "lock" on these doors you can use, takes 0.005 seconds to do and voila (no broom handle). lack of a tailgate has +/-:

+ = i'm only 5'8" and constantly crawling into the back of my 80 because of the tailgate; this nuisance goes away since i can now reach everything in the GX
- = nothing to sit on, no option for a tailgate storage lid (which is truly a shame)

2 - this thing is terrific on freeways (no experience in a 100); a lifted rig is always going to ride "taller" on a windy freeway (100/GX/Suzuki Samurai/etc.) so i see no difference there

3 - Google the interior specs

My mention of ~$7,500 in initial cost difference is all about the fact that I've spent less than that to build up my GX the way I want and have come in at less than what I would have spent on a stock 100.

Good luck, don't care what you buy but am damn happy with this GX of mine. That's all you'll get asking questions of this crowd, these are great rigs but do your homework.

Thanks for all the responses. I've been watching DanKunz's offroading videos on his GX470 build thread. I'm not going to build it that much, but it's great to see the GX470 in action.

I still have a lot of homework to do....

I want to do the minimum upgrades to be able to crawl up Mengle Pass in Death Valley.

1. Avoid KDSS. Not sure how this works, but sounds like it gets in the way of a lift.
2. Bigger tires probably 34s
3. 2" medium lift
4. Rock sliders
5. Skid plates
6. Maybe an Aussie/ARB rear locker (not electronic)

@co4wheel I was looking at one of your photos in this post:
120 series Photos!

Can you tell me what lift, tires, and sliders you were running at that point in time? That's the kinda clean look I'm looking for.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I've been watching DanKunz's offroading videos on his GX470 build thread. I'm not going to build it that much, but it's great to see the GX470 in action.

I still have a lot of homework to do....

I want to do the minimum upgrades to be able to crawl up Mengle Pass in Death Valley.

1. Avoid KDSS. Not sure how this works, but sounds like it gets in the way of a lift.
2. Bigger tires probably 34s
3. 2" medium lift
4. Rock sliders
5. Skid plates
6. Maybe an Aussie/ARB rear locker (not electronic)

KDSS gets in the way if you're going long travel. If you aren't planning on removing your sway bars otherwise, you'll get better articulation off road and superior cornering stability on road with a KDSS truck. There's a reason KDSS is standard on the GX460. :)

KDSS gets in the way if you're going long travel. If you aren't planning on removing your sway bars otherwise, you'll get better articulation off road and superior cornering stability on road with a KDSS truck. There's a reason KDSS is standard on the GX460. :)

I agree. I bought a GX without KDSS because I didn't want to worry about messing with it if and when I lifted it, but I recently had the opportunity to drive my buddy's 2010 460 and the on road handling was far superior to my 470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom