200 Series LC vs G550 (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s definitely a coin flip on whether I see more Gs or LCs on a given day here in Santa Fe. Lucky for me, a lot of the Gs are cool classic trucks, as the first importer for Gs in the US is here— they brought them in, Hollywood folks with second homes here bought them and brought them back to LA, and they proved so popular that MB got them federalized and started selling them

Screw stereotypes. Your opinion has zero impact on my day. Drive what you want. Life is too short. If I cared about stereotypes, I would have a donk on wheels that spin when you sit still. All my friends had cars with hydraulics. I pull up in a bobbed first gen on 36” swampers. 🤣
Depending on where one lives in the world, unfortunately stereotypes aren't just "opinions"... but lead to significantly worse situations.

It’s definitely a coin flip on whether I see more Gs or LCs on a given day here in Santa Fe. Lucky for me, a lot of the Gs are cool classic trucks, as the first importer for Gs in the US is here— they brought them in, Hollywood folks with second homes here bought them and brought them back to LA, and they proved so popular that MB got them federalized and started selling them
I have a couple of Europa G500s (grew up in NM...). Nothing drives quite like a G class, very interesting to drive.

200 is more reliable, but much less interesting to drive. LX is miles better on road trips. Around town the narrowness of the G is nice.

Depending on where one lives in the world, unfortunately stereotypes aren't just "opinions"... but lead to significantly worse situations.
In the context of Orange County or really anywhere in the U.S., I’m not going to let anyone’s opinions affect my day. Outside of the U.S. is clearly a different story.

In the context of Orange County or really anywhere in the U.S., I’m not going to let anyone’s opinions affect my day. Outside of the U.S. is clearly a different story.
Exactly. Worrying about what others think in this context, as long as we aren't talking about safety concerns, is just silly. Get what you want and enjoy it. If someone doesn't like what you drive, that's their problem. But if the OP decides to go with a G, I think we've collectively warned him sufficiently that it will most likely be a lot more expensive to maintain than a LC.

Not long after I purchased my 2014 G550, I took my mom shopping at a small outdoor mall near my house. When we were walking back to the car, an older couple (early 70's maybe) was walking by my car. The husband said something like "that's cool" and the wife said something along that lines of "that's ridiculous". The look on her face was priceless when I hit the unlock button as we were starting to get in because she clearly knew that I had heard what she said. But I just got a good laugh out of it - she's just as entitled to her opinion as I am, even if it's wrong LOL.

That's all great and wonderful until one gets shot at for their vehicle.

Exactly. Worrying about what others think in this context, as long as we aren't talking about safety concerns, is just silly. Get what you want and enjoy it. If someone doesn't like what you drive, that's their problem.
Safety concerns is of course precisely what I was referring to.

Last edited:
I tend to think the G and 200-series aren't really comparable other than being top self models. In terms of size, isn't the G much closer to the GX/Prado/new LC?

That's all great and wonderful until one gets shot at for their vehicle.

Safety concerns is of course precisely what I was referring to.
The two bullet holes in my old FJ would like to argue with you

Nevermind. You edited your reply

But I think we both see both sides of our “argument”

9119.jpeg

I tend to think the G and 200-series aren't really comparable other than being top self models. In terms of size, isn't the G much closer to the GX/Prado/new LC?
The G isn't as small as many of you seem to think. Like I said in a previous response, the cargo shelf I built for behind the 2nd row seat in my G wagons fits pretty well behind the 2nd row seat in the LC (without 3rd row seats). It isn't a perfect fit because the shape of the cargo space is obviously a bit different, but the amount of space isn't radically different.

If you keep the 3rd row seats in a LC, you'll chew up a crazy amount of storage space, obviously.

The 2nd row seat in the LC does have more leg room, but the seat height in the G makes it surprisingly comfortable, even for long drives.

I'm not small at just over 6' and about 250lbs and I was plenty comfortable in the G as driver or passenger.

The biggest difference when it comes to cross shopping new vehicles (if we assume the 200 series were still available) is the HUGE difference in price. Most people aren't going to consider vehicles that are >$60k apart in price.

My old G500 was not much bigger than my 3rd gen 4runner.

DSCN1543.jpeg

More pics from my old days:

IMG_8743.jpeg

IMG_8744.jpeg

IMG_8746.jpeg

IMG_8747.jpeg

IMG_8748.jpeg

I've got a 2017 G63 and a 2019 200, both owned since new. They are completely different vehicles with nothing in common other than full time 4wd and good stock off road capability.

Both have been very reliable with minimal depreciation. Which is a bit surprising.

The 200 does everything better...other than go REALLY REALLY fast in a straight line....yet in our family of 4, the G is everyone's favorite (not counting the 74 FJ40 FST in the summer). If I'm running an elective errand, it's always in the G.

The G is definitely small though, Jeep Wrangler small. It's a tight fit with a 4 & 6 yo in the back. It's not comfortable with 4 adults for long distances.

Since you already have a few other LCs and if you don't have kids...maybe try the G550. At worst you drive it for a year and lose $5k. Less than the cost of a years worth of gas.

For most people, either one is an emotional purchase. A want vs a need. Lots of correct responses about more room, off-road prowess, image, etc, but let’s be honest. 95% of folks don’t need a Land Cruiser. Or a G wagon.

Being that it’s a mostly emotional purchase, imho if you’re even considering a g, go for a g. G63 is a fantastic vehicle. Where I live, LC are pretty rare to the point where it probably gets more attention and questions from folks than a G63.

Obviously G will have more maintenance but again I think it’s a little overblown if you’re an average mileage driver. If buying used, be VERY picky. German cars aren’t all that bad to keep maintained, but catching up on 4-5 years of maintenance is a ****ing nightmare.

I do miss my G-wagen, but don’t miss the maintenance costs (as others have said above). I bought it new in 2004 for $72k…and took it off-roading in Colorado the very next weekend…see first set of photos above.

As for issues…my window regulators went out every 15k miles. They take turns going out. :D Germans can’t design good window mechanism! I had sunroof leak. My infotainment system went out. And then finally, my engine mount went bad at 65k miles.

After that last issue, and my family grew, and job requirements changed, I sold it. Now all of above were covered under extended warranty. So I got my worth out of it. Zero cost from me. But I think that my ext warranty ended at 75k…so didn’t want to take chances.

But yes, normal maintenance were costlier than Toyota thru dealer…but the Mercedes service was much nicer experience than the con artists at Toyota service. I did use Mercedes independent dealer too…which was only a smidge cheaper bc parts were expensive to begin with.

To be fair, my LC infotainment went bad too at 29k miles. What is it with me and infotainment system! :(

Overall, the G was a very nice experience in my life. It did occasionally brought the “wrong” attention and that did factor in me selling it as my family grew and I have kids in the back.

The LC is a different animal for me. More refined vs the raw nature of the G (kinda like 4runner vs Jeep Wrangler analogy). Back then in 2004, I found the LC100 to be bland and not great in capability (brother had 1999 LX). So the G was more to my style as a single guy who goes off-roading on the weekends. It was extremely capable…easily keeping up with my brother’s short wheelbase Rubicon.

Now with family and doing long trips for sight seeing and off the beaten path, the LC200 is more to my style/need.

Last edited:
One other thing of note with the G is that the infotainment, backup camera, adaptive cruise control, and some of the other tech are FAR better than on the LC, even comparing a 2014 G to a 2020 LC. The adaptive cruise control, especially, was much more responsive both in how quickly it would notice a car pulling in front of you and in going back up to the selected speed once the path is clear. After driving my 2024 Highlander home last night, Toyota seems to have caught up on the backup camera and the adaptive cruise control on their updated vehicles. In case anyone is wondering, I definitely already miss the LC, but the Highlander just makes a lot more sense for me.

2016 and newer G's will also have wired CarPlay and Android Auto. I'm pretty sure that 2019+ G's have wireless CarPlay and Android Auto (and a ton more bling...). The LC 200 series never saw any of this. So if that matters, keep it in mind, though there are several ways to add this capability to the LC.

If anyone is looking for a low mileage (just over 15K miles) 2020 white LC HE, check out Acton Toyota in Massachusetts. They're asking $85K for it and I suspect they will not go below $80K, assuming they want to make at least a tiny amount of profit on the trade. It currently has a full replacement Android head unit installed, but I also included the factory head unit. I got the impression that they plan to sell it with the Android head unit installed and include the factory head unit for the new owner. I had the oil changed every 6 months, even though that was less than 5K miles at each interval, because I was taking it in for Auto Butler treatments and figured I might as well get the oil changed while already there. I removed the USB ports I had added, including most of the wiring to the battery (other than a few ground connections that I didn't have time to get to) and replaced the panels (rear of center console, and the 2 rear panels that cover the 3rd row seat controls) with new ones without any holes that I had ordered for just that purpose. If interested in that LC, feel free to contact me with any questions about it's history, but it's in really great shape and was treated well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom