200 Series LC vs G550 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do miss my G-wagen, but don’t miss the maintenance costs (as others have said above). I bought it new in 2004 for $72k…and took it off-roading in Colorado the very next weekend…see first set of photos above.

As for issues…my window regulators went out every 15k miles. They take turns going out. :D Germans can’t design good window mechanism! I had sunroof leak. My infotainment system went out. And then finally, my engine mount went bad at 65k miles.

After that last issue, and my family grew, and job requirements changed, I sold it. Now all of above were covered under extended warranty. So I got my worth out of it. Zero cost from me. But I think that my ext warranty ended at 75k…so didn’t want to take chances.

But yes, normal maintenance were costlier than Toyota thru dealer…but the Mercedes service was much nicer experience than the con artists at Toyota service. I did use Mercedes independent dealer too…which was only a smidge cheaper bc parts were expensive to begin with.

To be fair, my LC infotainment went bad too at 29k miles. What is it with me and infotainment system! :(

Overall, the G was a very nice experience in my life. It did occasionally brought the “wrong” attention and that did factor in me selling it as my family grew and I have kids in the back.

The LC is a different animal for me. More refined vs the raw nature of the G (kinda like 4runner vs Jeep Wrangler analogy). Back then in 2004, I found the LC100 to be bland and not great in capability (brother had 1999 LX). So the G was more to my style as a single guy who goes off-roading on the weekends. It was extremely capable…easily keeping up with my brother’s short wheelbase Rubicon.

Now with family and doing long trips for sight seeing and off the beaten path, the LC200 is more to my style/need.
Very well said and I fully agree. I also skipped the 100 series. I went 60 -> 80 -> G -> 200. And I bought my G new for $68k

Now I’m considering this…

Obviously G will have more maintenance but again I think it’s a little overblown if you’re an average mileage driver. If buying used, be VERY picky. German cars aren’t all that bad to keep maintained, but catching up on 4-5 years of maintenance is a f***ing nightmare.

I'm at 6.5 years and 50k miles on the G63. Besides the normal fluid changes and consumables (filters, pads, rotors, battery, etc), the only other issues I've had with it were:

DS turbo coolant hardlines. $500 and 5 hours of my time
Vacuum pump check valve. $45 and 10 min of my time

Neither of these were surprises as they are known issues for the M157 engine, which overall is pretty solid. I would agree on finding one with a good maintenance history. If someone didn't properly maintain their $150k vehicle, then it's safe to say they didn't take care of it in general.

At 4.5 years and 70k miles, the 200 has been fluids and consumables only.

A third option to consider would be the new GX550, which seems like more of a blend of the G and 200.

I'm at 6.5 years and 50k miles on the G63. Besides the normal fluid changes and consumables (filters, pads, rotors, battery, etc), the only other issues I've had with it were:

DS turbo coolant hardlines. $500 and 5 hours of my time
Vacuum pump check valve. $45 and 10 min of my time

Neither of these were surprises as they are known issues for the M157 engine, which overall is pretty solid. I would agree on finding one with a good maintenance history. If someone didn't properly maintain their $150k vehicle, then it's safe to say they didn't take care of it in general.

At 4.5 years and 70k miles, the 200 has been fluids and consumables only.

A third option to consider would be the new GX550, which seems like more of a blend of the G and 200.
My g500 was also low maintenance. Just over 9 years and 85k miles, all I did was PM and a side mirror (rolled it on its side in Moab).

A lot for me to catch up on!
Thank you for all the replies. Still weighing the g550 vs the 200 and adding a 100 into the mix. At this point I am leaning slightly more to a 200 or a 100.

I had a 2018 G550 and traded it in for a 2021 LC HE after less than 10k miles, at a significant loss (despite originally buying it at a significant discount off MSRP).

The reasons were, from major to minor:

- When covid hit I bought bikes for the family and it was real awkward with the G. You can't put them inside (cargo area too small), you can't hang them off the back (because of the spare wheel) and you can't put them on top (because it's a very tall vehicle as it is, with the roof rack I couldn't fit into most underground parking lots which sucked quite a bit because I worked and shopped in the city).
- The Gwagen is too small inside in general, especially the back seat. My son is in the elementary school and he was already becoming uncomfortable with the limited leg room in the back.
- The Gwagen, being shaped like the box it came in, is very noisy and unwieldy at highway speeds. After I installed a roof rack and a light bar, I could never drive faster than 65 mph because it would whistle like a banshee. Not that I was ever in a hurry but still. The flat windshield is also a magnet for rocks. It is also heated, so it costs like 3K to replace. That is, when it's possible to order, because it's usually not. Also, the electronic toll pass doesn't work from behind all those heating wires. Also, I've read numerous reports that the body rusts badly under the rubber windshield seal. I worried a lot about the windshield, and it's not something I particularly enjoy worrying about.
- On my first outing the transfer case randomly overheated while I was 20 miles away from the nearest paved road. It didn't say so however, instead telling me "transmission malfunction (or some such), stop driving (which I couldn't because I wasn't able to shift into drive) and contact the dealer". Thankfully, after 30 minutes or so it cooled down while I was scratching my head, and I was able to drive home. That, however, drastically reduced my trust in the vehicle's offroad abilities (especially after the dealer said that there was "nothing wrong with it"); I ceased going into the woods alone.
- I had some minor issues with the driver seat. My MB dealer's service department apparently hires people with clown degrees. They first were unable to diagnose the issue, then they were unable to fix it, then they tore the leather and refused to give me the vehicle back (because it suddenly became a safety hazard), then they completely screwed up ordering the new seat cover; bottom line, I was given a C300 loaner for six months (which I didn't touch because I also had an S class). I complained loudly to the MB corporate and got a backpack and an umbrella for my troubles; my request to buy back the vehicle was denied.
- After ~8K miles random rattles and squeaks appeared. It also developed a grinding noise whenever I was turning left. I also found some random metal parts on the floor of my garage (still don't know what they were). I bought extended warranty but a) my dealer's service department didn't inspire much confidence and b) I really started questioning if this was a car I should be keeping long term (especially with all the AMG bits under the hood), while the LC had the exact opposite reputation.
- I started to feel rather uncomfortable driving a Gwagen in public, given the political and criminal environment of 2020. My thinking was (and is) that it would be wise to fly a bit lower for a few years, and the LC seemed like a perfect vehicle for this.
- Offroading the G is a pain in the butt because the interior gets covered with fine dust. Toyota, on the other side, seems to have figured out how to put rubber door seals properly.
- Toyota said the LC is going away forever, so it was a now-or-never moment. I got one of the two or three remaining new J200s in the US Northwest I believe. Ironically, that was the reason I bought the G550 -- wanted to get the old style before it was gone forever (I don't care much for the new gen, either the looks or the prices).
- Saving the planet: the LC is more fuel efficient believe it or not (14/17 vs 14/15 for the G, and also doesn't need premium).

I was eyeing a Land Cruiser for quite some time prior to even buying the G550, but I didn't like how the third row worked. As soon as the two-row HE arrived, the decision was easy.

I dreamed of having a Gwagen since I was a kid. It's the best car to have had owned; 25K well spent (I'm serious). I checked the box, got rid of it, and never looked back; now happy as a clam with my Land Cruiser. But slamming those doors shut is something I'll never forget.

I had a 2018 G550 and traded it in for a 2021 LC HE after less than 10k miles, at a significant loss (despite originally buying it at a significant discount off MSRP).

Yikes, it sounds like you got a bit of a lemon, unfortunately, but also let your heart make the decision to buy rather than thinking about some of your needs (like the issue with carrying bikes).

- The Gwagen is too small inside in general, especially the back seat. My son is in the elementary school and he was already becoming uncomfortable with the limited leg room in the back.
I just don't get this one. I'm not saying the back seat has tons of legroom, but as a fairly big person, I was comfortable riding in the back on long trips (such as Boston area to Newfoundland and back) so the 3 of us on the trip could split up the driving and front passenger seat time. I just don't see how a kid in elementary school could possibly have trouble with the amount of legroom. I also found the seat itself to be fairly comfortable. The other 2 people on the trip (my dad and brother) felt the same way.

- The Gwagen, being shaped like the box it came in, is very noisy and unwieldy at highway speeds.
This is where the G550 and G63 differ big time. With the 2 G550's (2014 and 2016) I had, I also found them to be hard to drive at highway speeds as I had to constantly correct the steering to keep them in my lane. The G63 (2017), OTOH, handled really well on the highway. It was all about the suspension tuning.

The flat windshield is also a magnet for rocks. It is also heated, so it costs like 3K to replace. That is, when it's possible to order, because it's usually not. Also, the electronic toll pass doesn't work from behind all those heating wires.
I guess I got lucky as I never had to replace a windshield on the G's that I owned, but some parts were definitely REALLY difficult to get which definitely concerned me when considering whether I should keep the G63 for a long time or not and it looks like we both came to the same conclusion on that. Regarding the toll pass, there was a spot on the windshield without heating wires where the toll pass worked just fine on all 3 of mine.

Last edited:

- When covid hit I bought bikes for the family and it was real awkward with the G. You can't put them inside (cargo area too small), you can't hang them off the back (because of the spare wheel) and you can't put them on top (because it's a very tall vehicle as it is, with the roof rack I couldn't fit into most underground parking lots which sucked quite a bit because I worked and shopped in the city).
- The Gwagen, being shaped like the box it came in, is very noisy and unwieldy at highway speeds. After I installed a roof rack and a light bar, I could never drive faster than 65 mph because it would whistle like a banshee. Not that I was ever in a hurry but still. The flat windshield is also a magnet for rocks. It is also heated, so it costs like 3K to replace. That is, when it's possible to order, because it's usually not. Also, the electronic toll pass doesn't work from behind all those heating wires. Also, I've read numerous reports that the body rusts badly under the rubber windshield seal. I worried a lot about the windshield, and it's not something I particularly enjoy worrying about.
- On my first outing the transfer case randomly overheated while I was 20 miles away from the nearest paved road. It didn't say so however, instead telling me "transmission malfunction (or some such), stop driving (which I couldn't because I wasn't able to shift into drive) and contact the dealer". Thankfully, after 30 minutes or so it cooled down while I was scratching my head, and I was able to drive home. That, however, drastically reduced my trust in the vehicle's offroad abilities (especially after the dealer said that there was "nothing wrong with it"); I ceased going into the woods alone.
- I had some minor issues with the driver seat. My MB dealer's service department apparently hires people with clown degrees. They first were unable to diagnose the issue, then they were unable to fix it, then they tore the leather and refused to give me the vehicle back (because it suddenly became a safety hazard), then they completely screwed up ordering the new seat cover; bottom line, I was given a C300 loaner for six months (which I didn't touch because I also had an S class). I complained loudly to the MB corporate and got a backpack and an umbrella for my troubles; my request to buy back the vehicle was denied.
- After ~8K miles random rattles and squeaks appeared. It also developed a grinding noise whenever I was turning left. I also found some random metal parts on the floor of my garage (still don't know what they were). I bought extended warranty but a) my dealer's service department didn't inspire much confidence and b) I really started questioning if this was a car I should be keeping long term (especially with all the AMG bits under the hood), while the LC had the exact opposite reputation.
- I started to feel rather uncomfortable driving a Gwagen in public, given the political and criminal environment of 2020. My thinking was (and is) that it would be wise to fly a bit lower for a few years, and the LC seemed like a perfect vehicle for this.
- Offroading the G is a pain in the butt because the interior gets covered with fine dust. Toyota, on the other side, seems to have figured out how to put rubber door seals properly.
- Toyota said the LC is going away forever, so it was a now-or-never moment. I got one of the two or three remaining new J200s in the US Northwest I believe. Ironically, that was the reason I bought the G550 -- wanted to get the old style before it was gone forever (I don't care much for the new gen, either the looks or the prices).
- Saving the planet: the LC is more fuel efficient believe it or not (14/17 vs 14/15 for the G, and also doesn't need premium).

I was eyeing a Land Cruiser for quite some time prior to even buying the G550, but I didn't like how the third row worked. As soon as the two-row HE arrived, the decision was easy.

I dreamed of having a Gwagen since I was a kid. It's the best car to have had owned; 25K well spent (I'm serious). I checked the box, got rid of it, and never looked back; now happy as a clam with my Land Cruiser. But slamming those doors shut is something I'll never forget.
I did need three windshield replacements in 9 years (so sold it on its 4th windshield). I’m currently on my 3rd windshield in 10 years in my LX. Alaska is tough on windshields.

Amen on all of these comments, minus the transmission issue. My G65 interior rattled and popped in year 2. And a gravel road just caused lots dust to get inside the cabin. These are never an issue with my 200. I can drive a hundred miles of rough washboard with zero rattles and zero Interior dust as a result. However, depending on the road surface, and the resulting resonance in the vehicle, my 200s second row seat leathers rub together and can give an annoying squeak. This is really stretching my ability to speak negatively about my 200.

I did need three windshield replacements in 9 years (so sold it on its 4th windshield). I’m currently on my 3rd windshield in 10 years in my LX. Alaska is tough on windshields.
Yeah my 100 windshield has some bullet sized divots (poorly patched by me) and an immense quantity of sand pitting from 25 years of roads around the Kenai. Still original windshield.

Both our '17 550 and the '21 G63 that replaced it have been nothing but reliable. Biggest cost on both was a second set of wheels and snow rated tires so wife never has to worry about chains (wee got the pre-paid maint and needed nothing beyond that). I love the G63's updated interior/amenities - feels like a nice S-class. Only SUV with a nicer interior was a Rover my wife had for less than a year - spent more time at the dealership that we had it, and Rover ended up buying it back from us. Just my 2 cents....

Both our '17 550 and the '21 G63 that replaced it have been nothing but reliable. Biggest cost on both was a second set of wheels and snow rated tires so wife never has to worry about chains (wee got the pre-paid maint and needed nothing beyond that). I love the G63's updated interior/amenities - feels like a nice S-class. Only SUV with a nicer interior was a Rover my wife had for less than a year - spent more time at the dealership that we had it, and Rover ended up buying it back from us. Just my 2 cents....
Land Rovers have sooooo much potential if only they could figure out what quality control is. It's been like that forever and it's super frustrating. I've said a number of times that I'd love to see the best aspects of Land Rover and Toyota merge into 1 company. Imagine Defenders and Range Rovers with Toyota caliber reliability?

2 of my 3 G's had some relatively minor issues, but nothing all that bad beyond routine maintenance. The first one had a bad window regulator that was resolved under warranty. IIRC, the 2nd one didn't have any problems. The 3rd one had to have both rear tail lights replaced under warranty because the bolts had been over tightened at the factory and developed cracks (took 6+ months to get the replacement parts) and also had a wiring defect that caused the dome light above the rear seats to stop working that was resolved by fixing a frayed wire or a bad ground (I don't recall exactly what was fixed, but it was something minor). At least one of them developed a rattle on the rear door that the dealer was able to resolve by adjusting the latch. When I traded it in, the dealer who bought the G63 noticed a bit of rust starting to form near one of the rear side windows (fortunately they noticed it after quoting me a number and decided it was their fault and honored the number). After seeing that rust spot that had started, I was really glad I was trading it in even though it probably would have been covered by the warranty. Other than that, my only real concerns were availability of parts and long term costs as many of the parts were $$$ and dealer rates were $$$. Obviously going to a 3rd party for most maintenance could have reduced the labor costs, but the parts still would have been expensive and potentially hard to get.

Yeah my 100 windshield has some bullet sized divots (poorly patched by me) and an immense quantity of sand pitting from 25 years of roads around the Kenai. Still original windshield.
I’m ok with cracks and pits. I Don’t replace until I have a spider. I’ll replace my current one this spring after they sweep the roads.

IMG_0895.jpeg

Land Rovers have sooooo much potential if only they could figure out what quality control is. It's been like that forever and it's super frustrating. I've said a number of times that I'd love to see the best aspects of Land Rover and Toyota merge into 1 company. Imagine Defenders and Range Rovers with Toyota caliber reliability?

<snip>

I am absolutely convinced that a lot of the super large luxury vehicles fall into section 179/lease write off camp. After looking at LX 570s 2018+, literally 95%+ were off lease. For whatever reason, the VAST majority of people don't take care of leased cars. Throw the keys in the center console, gets scratched, doesn't matter since they won't ding you for it on turn in. Etc.

In the case of the G wagon it's probably higher % leased than even the LX. If a G is designed to be rattle free for 3-4 years that's it's end of life technically speaking. Get a couple rattles, time to turn it in, lease another one. As long as it lasts 3 years that's all that matters.

Luck of the draw...in my 6+ years owning G500, windshield was good. But in my 2019 LC, I have several cracks in the windshield...fortunately on passenger side...so, I am holding off on replacing it.

I just don't get this one. I'm not saying the back seat has tons of legroom, but as a fairly big person, I was comfortable riding in the back on long trips (such as Boston area to Newfoundland and back) so the 3 of us on the trip could split up the driving and front passenger seat time. I just don't see how a kid in elementary school could possibly have trouble with the amount of legroom. I also found the seat itself to be fairly comfortable. The other 2 people on the trip (my dad and brother) felt the same way.
My other car at the time was an S550 and he couldn't reach the back of the front seat. The G's back seat is basic economy in comparison, especially with all the random stuff in the seatback pocket in front of him.

At least one of them developed a rattle on the rear door that the dealer was able to resolve by adjusting the latch.
Oh yeah, I forgot. The rear (cargo) door squeaked angrily whenever anyone looked at it wrong. The dealer gave up on fixing it; some super-expensive unobtanium Mercedes-Benz grease handmade by Swiss artisans that I got on eBay didn't help either. TBH, I had concerns about that massive spare wheel since day one; they had proven to be not entirely unfounded.

Speaking of wheels: of course it came with regular road tires, and of course AT tires fitting the particular AMG wheel that was the sole option on the window sticker did not exist. So I had to buy a set of 18" rims made in 2004 off eBay, pay as much as they cost for shipping, pay as much again for refinishing, all for the privilege of being actually able to use the low range and the lockers as originally intended by the manufacturer.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the Gwagen, and it suited my personality quite well. But it was very underwhelming even though I knew exactly what it was and was mentally prepared to drive it for a long time.

I didn't consider the G63 (let alone G65) because my intent was to offroad the vehicle on regular basis.

In the case of the G wagon it's probably higher % leased than even the LX.
I normally lease my cars but the lease programs on the G were atrocious even when the rates hovered just above zero. Like, $2700/mo for a G550 with no down. For that kind of money I could lease a more expensive S-class as a daily AND a Wrangler Rubicon as a weekend toy. To add insult to injury, my bank denied my loan application without explanation so I just wired the full amount from the checking account at the very same bank. Which is how I finally got a fully paid off car for the first time in my life.

Speaking of wheels: of course it came with regular road tires, and of course AT tires fitting the particular AMG wheel that was the sole option on the window sticker did not exist. So I had to buy a set of 18" rims made in 2004 off eBay, pay as much as they cost for shipping, pay as much again for refinishing, all for the privilege of being actually able to use the low range and the lockers as originally intended by the manufacturer.
Hmm, I replaced the factory tires on all 3 of my G's with BFG AT KO2's on whichever wheels each came with without any problems. The G63 and 2016 G550 both came with AMG wheels, the 2014 G550 came with "normal" non-AMG wheels. IIRC, all 2 had 18" wheels and 1 had 19" wheels (but don't quote me on that). You may have ended up with an unfortunate choice of wheels on yours. For any given year Mercedes typically has at least several wheel choices that could be made when ordering a vehicle; if you bought yours off the lot rather than custom ordering it, the person at the dealership who options out their allocations may have decided a particular wheel option would look cool not thinking that it would limit tire options.

Given what you found for issues with the G, I would strongly suggest you never buy a Land Rover :). When I took delivery of a 2014 Range Rover the hood wasn't latching properly, which I discovered on the highway on the way home. It took the dealer THREE attempts to get it fixed. One of the speakers was bad from the factory and it was easy to reproduce the problem by playing an AM radio station. Having given the dealer clear instructions on how to reproduce the problem, it took them several attempts that finally required me demoing it for them ("Oh, you mean it can be reproduced by playing AM radio. Huh, who knew?"). The real kicker was the stupid transmission shift knob/dial design that some moronic engineer thought was clever. The Range Rover used a rotating dial for shifting the transmission (much like the terrain select knobs on LCs) and the engineers who designed it decided it would be cool if it retracted down flush with the center console when the car was turned off. Only problem was it sometimes wouldn't pop back up when the engine was turned on, potentially leaving you stranded. I came close to being stranded a few times and even after a software update that allegedly fixed the problem, I had no confidence. I traded it in for what I paid for it after only 6 months of ownership for the 2014 G550.

FWIW... I had a 2003 G500 for about 2.5 years... Loved it, Only issues were the window lifts (common thing)... I have heard nothing but good things about them since but granted have seen a grand total of 2 while off-road... One broke a front axle on a medium difficult climb (driver error)... and was a bear to get off to a tow truck (it was a 2018 I believe G550).. just because of the electronics freaking out with one wheel not being powered.. took a bit to figure out the right buttons to push to get it moving off the trail (had to lock the all the lockers basically which disables the wheel speed sensors it seems, otherwise it would have a fit and refuse to move with just the rear locked)..

I'd get one in a heart beat... especially a solid front axle one..

That said I have a 200, and no plans to get a G550...

We traded the 2003 G500 for a new LR3 at the time (2008) straight up, since we needed a 7 seater (or so we thought..) that was also a great truck.. (actually all 3 LR3's I have owned have been really good)..

rambling I guess but I really like the G550's and would have another one.

YMMV...

We traded the 2003 G500 for a new LR3 at the time (2008) straight up, since we needed a 7 seater (or so we thought..) that was also a great truck.. (actually all 3 LR3's I have owned have been really good)..

rambling I guess but I really like the G550's and would have another one.
Speaking of the LR3 (and I think the LR4 as well), it seems like that is one vehicle where Land Rover actually had decent quality control as I haven't seen or heard of too many complaints with them over the years.

I would also get another G550 or (preferably) G63 again in a heartbeat (but preferably <2019 to get the old style) if I won Power Ball. Otherwise, they're just too expensive to keep long term. Not really due to reliability issues, just because parts are so $$$. Even though they did an admirable job of retaining the original look on the 2019+ G's, I just don't like what they did with the interior as it's more like a luxury sedan than a truck now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom