20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got my rims back from power coating and I think I should have painted them. The way powder coat is applied it can't really get into the gap between the rim and center piece, so that area is sandblasted but not coated with powdercoat.
The color is perfect but the bare steel will eventually rust. I need to get a can of paint matched to them to finish the job.
Pictures later...

Applicator doesn’t know what he is doing. He may have chocked it up to faraday but those rims take powder no problem.

90D3290D-F295-4EBB-A358-DD1A597119D5.jpeg

BAC4C027-0EC2-45B4-AF74-ACDA62CE147F.jpeg

I had the same problem. The powder didn't get all the way in between the two pieces and started to rust down the road. They looked great for a season. Spray bomb for me from now on.
I’m not there yet but know from work that powder doesn't take touch ups well, for a rim that will see off road use I’m sticking to paint.

Yeah, I guess it depends on what your plans for it is. Really using it off road or running on rock roads will chip up everything. I haven't tried Cerakote, but J Mack likes it.

w/o reading any further, I have to tell you that I love this thread already!
Pig has been waiting for 20 years?
Father/son project?
Time to take Dad out for a cheeseburger while you still can?
Sign me up...
Wishing you Godspeed on your build - it sounds like time is of the essence.

The lens on my parts pig came to me that way.
I think some aliens tried to steal the truck at one point. They caught it in their tractor beam but they didn't have the torque to actually pull it off the earth and the previous owner threw it in reverse just fast enough to escape the dirty devils. The heat from the magnetic field of the tractor beam collapse burnt out the lens. Of course nobody believes that story but it's the truth... The evidence is right there for all to see.

Dad is in bad shape, he has dementia, diabetes and he sits too much. He could be with us another 10 years or another 10 days, who knows at his age. My trajectory is to try and drive the iron pig to work on my birthday March 26th. Last year I rode a trial on my birthday which is going to be hard to top. If I succeed I'll probably get dad onboard and go for a cheeseburger in April. Wish me luck.

Didn't get a damn thing done on the iron pig this weekend because I was putting a timing belt on my friends mini truck.
Ended up being twice as much work because I broke a bolt off, then ended up with a handful of coolant leaks.

Dont buy a 3.0v6 Toyota truck.
The 22RE is a far superior motor, cheaper to fix, more reliable and no stinking timing belt...

I've got the fuel infected 22re 2 wheel drive pickup and when I did a run to san Jose down I5 I averaged 80mph and when I filled up I calculated my mileage at 29.8 or for all intents and purposes 30mpg. V8 power is nice, but for my broke ass 30mpg is nicer.
If I ever need the power of a v8, I'll use the family farm truck with a 24 valve Cummins, she goes 20 miles on a gallon. I just can't bring myself to waste that kind of fuel when better options are sitting in my driveway...

IMG_20190121_160617_942-1.jpg

Happy birthday little truck.
May there be at least 3 more.

Dont buy a 3.0v6 Toyota truck.
The 22RE is a far superior motor, cheaper to fix, more reliable and no stinking timing belt...
With you re: the 3.0 engine. Bought my daughter a 4Runner with that motor years ago. Borrowed it for a shakedown trip and afterwards reported none of the power and all of the gas mileage of a Ford 460.
Reconfirmed after adding a ‘95 F250 4wd to the fleet recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom