20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went out this afternoon and drug the parts pig up next to the shop in reach of my air compressor hose. Just for fun I vot out my Ingersol rand needle descaler and started blasting at the areas where I thought rust may be hiding.

I guessed right. Every place I thought I'd find rust, was indeed rusted right through.
Quarter pannels, gone, so are the rockers. Every door has skin cancer in the bottom.

Windshield supports are rotten on top and bottom. The door henge supports for the front doors are completely rotten. Floor is rusted in all of the typical locations.

It's bad folks. The person who did it used bondo for some of it, but also window screen, newspaper, pop rivets, concrete, and all sorts of other debris as "filler"
The roof may blow off in the next north wind. Gravity is the only force keeping it attached at this point.
So I'm probably not restoring the parts pig afterall.
Knowing is better than guessing.
Now I have the knowledge. This truck probably should get cut to pieces and scrapped, once I'm done having my way with it.

This morning I went out and snagged the last 2 wheel cylinders for my project.
I've probably got something like 30 wheel cylinders collected in order to make a complete set of originals (all bearing the mark of the beast TEQ)
My parts truck had the last 2 for the right side. Depending on how today goes I may get them apart and run them through the vibrodyne, or maybe that will happen next week.

I took the afternoon off from work on Wednesday and stayed and ran the bead blast cabinet all afternoon.
I got my battery tray clean, along with a pair of rear backing plates, and a set of henges which I'll probably sell...
Today when I run to town I'll buy paint and some other supplies I need for overhauling the rear brakes...
Its moving slowly but still moving along, iron pig style, slow and steady.

In other news I got the screws for my choke plate in the mail and put the carb on the engine, only to find out that the throttle cable will need replacement.
So I ordered a new throttle cable...
I've been leaving my pay in the bank, living on cash from Husslin' and saving up for some nice tires. Probably going with tall and narrow.
20230204_083844.jpg
20230204_083854.jpg
20230204_083831.jpg
20230204_083900.jpg
20230211_091402.jpg

well, I got paint on my backing plates, and with just the right combination of penetrating oil, map gas, brute strength and ignorance I got a complete set of rear (TEQ) wheel cylinders stripped down for rebuild.

With help from a few Mud Members ive got quite the collection of Landcruiser, wheel cylinders, something like 30 of them. I bought a boat load of used brake parts from a variety of folks in order to complete a good set.

Thanks for your help.
20230211_125757.jpg
20230211_125732.jpg
20230211_125650.jpg

Last weekend I got the brakes put together and bled, and fixed one leaky cylinder which took probably 2 hours of honing to get the pits out, but it works now...
I Also painted the battery tray from my parts rig, and put that in my green truck.
Next up, in buying a brand new battery, building cables, and hopefully firing the engine...

I need to also replace all of the hoses for the cooling system. They're all crusty inside

I dimly recall, from 20 or 25 years ago (last time i rebuilt my Pig rear brakes) that there was a seperate part number for 55 ( as opposed to 40 series) rear brake cylinder rebuild kits. I further dimly recall that this was because the rears are a different internal diameter. Larger i think.
Just something to maybe check...

Brakes are nice and hard though and that's good for something...
I'm kinda nervous about my carburetor.
There was at least one piece which I'm not 100% on.
I may have to tear down my other carb for reference.
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing it run again.

Last night I dropped in a 84 month pro rated group #27 battery from NAPA, and attached my old cables to it. I nipped a few screws to stop fuel seepage at the carburetor and I got the engine to fire up.
It runs but won't idle.
I'm blaming the fuel filter at this time.
New oem fuel filter ordered.
The fuel filter appears to never have been changed in the trucks entire life.
The newest gas in the tank is probably 8 years old.
Hearing it fire up and run was priceless though.

No, there's no fuel.
I removed the fuel filter and I'm replacing it, but nothing flows out of the hose when I tip it down.
I'll put fuel in the tank once I've got a good fuel filter on it.
I bent up a new steel line for the clutch hydraulic system today and got that functional.
I'm really excited, things are moving along...

Last weekend I got the brakes put together and bled, and fixed one leaky cylinder which took probably 2 hours of honing to get the pits out, but it works now...
I Also painted the battery tray from my parts rig, and put that in my green truck.
Next up, in buying a brand new battery, building cables, and hopefully firing the engine...

I need to also replace all of the hoses for the cooling system. They're all crusty inside
Sounds like a good list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom