2.5" lift or 4" , which would you go for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having driven stock suspensions for a while now, it's about time I get a new kit to lessen those aches. My use is mostly on road.

If you were in my shoes, what would you go for? 2.5" lift or 4"?

(Note: this survey has nothing to do with which brand to go for but I'd be happy to hear your comments anyway if you wish to share certain brands). Thanks!

I'd rearch the ones you have, may get some Bilstein shocks and even buy the new stock size shackles with greasable pins and new bushings from SOR, this if your use is mainly on the road. Any lift will definitely give you a different driving experience on the road. If this is your daily driver, and you really have no use for off road, I wouldn't do a lift. Now, if you really want one, I am selling my used for three months HFS 4" lift kit, altogether with shackles, shims, shocks, etc., as I just came back to stock.

IF you go for a lift, I'd go with 4 inch - they sag soon enough

There are alot of issues to consider.

With the front U bolt flips, I'd guess your bump stops are less than an inch from the axle, and a 4 in would give you alot more axle flex.

My deciding issue was that a 2 1/2 in would allow me to drive into the garage without airing down the tires, otherwise would have went with the 4 in.

If you are looking to primarily drive your 40 on the road, and just want to maybe fit some slightly bigger/more aggressive looking tires under it (like 33's) a 2.5in should be fine - way fewer issues with driveshaft angles/steering modifications/extended brake hoses etc. that you run into by going taller. You will still get worse road manners than stock ride height, but not much, from what I have seen.

Plus, as Bluegg mentioned, if you keep your 40 in a garage, going too tall makes parking a bit of a hassle - I know with my garage on a stock lift at 31in tires, I have about 2 inches of clearance between my roof and the door.

Again, not running a lift myself, but this is what I have read/heard from friends running lifts on their rigs.

If your main surface is road, why not shackle lift and keep the springs you have? What size tires are you running? I've seen 4" lifts with small tires, and to me, looks funny...

You can keep your stock brake lines with a 2.5" lift and not have to worry about caster and driveshaft angles either.

Having a "lower" center of gravity (2.5 vs 4) would also be better for the street.

However, if you are going to wheel and rocks are involved and hardcore trails,
4" may work better for you.

Mine with a 2.5 HFS lift with 33 x 10.50's:

suzysFJ40softtop%20001.jpg

Joe

I just put a 2.5" skyjacker lift on my '79 FJ40 and I love it. The ride quality is so much better than stock and it lifted it just enough that I could tell the difference in ride height. I went with the 2.5 in because I would be doing mostly on road driving and needed new suspension anyways. If you're going to keep it in a garage definitely measure the height of the opening, it looks as though my FJ won't fit in the garage with the top on with the new lift. No problem for me because I leave the top off year round. Here's a pic with the new suspension.
pic 1.jpg

You are not going to get a better ride with any lift. The best ride is soft stock springs, well-greased spring bushings and Bilstein shocks, then get a nice set of 10.5x31 tires and run them about 28psi.

If you want an upgrade, get a stock-height set of Alcan springs made (about $900), maybe +1" and get a set of Bilsteins.

My '78 has stock suspension and it rides pretty nice for a swb vehicle.

Fast eddy, can you give detail of what bilstiens fit on a stock suspension? I always see what are reccommended for a 2 in lift but never see stock height mentioned. I have brand new bargain blue Monroe's on and I bought the fj55 model shocks to match my longer rear shackles.

Fast eddy, can you give detail of what bilstiens fit on a stock suspension? I always see what are reccommended for a 2 in lift but never see stock height mentioned. I have brand new bargain blue Monroe's on and I bought the fj55 model shocks to match my longer rear shackles.

I would love to know the answer to this question too - I have seen it asked a dozen times, but I have never seen an answer! I'm running some really crusty Ranchos and would love to replace them, and I will probably only be "lifting" my 40 with extended shackles.

I just bought a 2.5 inch set of front springs and shackles because I couldn't find stock replacements. My front bump stop is one inch from the axle. I plan to put the springs on the front and the shackles on the rear since I have to replace the bushings all around anyway. Since half of the lift comes from the shackles, I think I'll get an even 1.25 all over.

I have 2.5" lift springs and 33"x1250 tires, with uncut wheel wells.

Barely adequate clearance even with 3" over stock shackles.

Get the 4" springs.

Eventually, once I finish a bunch of home remodeling, I'll upgrade to 4" springs.

I went with the HFS 4 inch lift so I could clear 35's and love it. Installed greasable shackle pins all around, caster shims up front and u bolt protectors at the same time. Flexes great on the trail! 8 years later it has only settled an inch and still rides better than my stock Tacoma ever did. :cool:

I would go 2.5 inch and tailor the rest of the lift with extended shackles. The ride will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom