Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well that was easier than I tough it would be
got it out without chipping or breaking it whatsoever. it might be a mistake but I'm going to re-use it.

IMG_3927.JPG

I do have a couple of rust spots on the bottom so I will have to address that here while I wait for weatherstripping. I was expecting it to be a lot worse. These are very fixable without major surgery.

IMG_3928.JPG

made some progress, got all the surface rust sanded off, put down a coat of DTM epoxy on the rusty spot, sanded that down and got a coat of primer down. waiting on a couple of parts for the cowl. hopefully I can get a couple of coats down and move onto the sun roof. leaning on doing a delete on it. will need to see if I can get a center brace for that area.

IMG_3963.JPG

gaping holes!

Yes, I have one that needs to be filled. I ordered some 16 gauge cold role sheet will go pick it up tomorrow. In the meantime, I sanded back the paint as slowly as I could stand without making too much heat in the process. Will need to hand sand a bit in the corners. yuck. The plan for now is to use a batch of little L brackets I cut today to create a flanged support in key locations to help get things aligned. might work? a sheet metal wizard I am not.

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

well that part is behind me

I plasma cut a sheet that I knew was about .5 mm big because you gota message her into that spot! The R60 on the corners is wrong by just a bit. it's not a true circle. it's some kind of fit point spline and who knows what the heck it is. probably based on the forehead curve of Hankao the oldest ever Koa fish? so the result a little light grinding was needed to get the correct gap but the rest was cake.

moon dims.jpg

IMG_3990.JPG

was able to match the bulge on the font and all the edges matched up really nice. Now I need to stitch it in slowly with the air handy.

IMG_3992.JPG

lets go.jpg

making more progress... ground back the welds, mostly good can always improve and be better. I had to tap out some stress areas by expanding on the corners. As I said I'm not a sheet metal wizard. I'm the reason they invented filler. But I'm short and cant't see the roof from where I stand. good thing.

IMG_3999.JPG

The inside had quite a bit of surface rust under the sun roof cross member, ground that back.

IMG_4003.JPG

To the guy at the land cruiser factory on glue gun that day, chill dude! god this stuff is not easy to get off.

IMG_4004.JPG

should be good enough for epoxy, all the glue is off what you see is primer. it's still in fine shape so I left it.
IMG_4009.JPG

As always having the time of my life!

IMG_4010.JPG

got the affected area covered with DTM epoxy. nasty stuff.

IMG_4013.JPG

after taking a much closer look at the sunroof assembly support flange I decided to remove it. it was rusty and was proving nothing at this point. This way I can also finish around the entire area on both sides where I welded.

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

And I think I need a break from grinding, painting for a min here. Started looking into the mysteries of the headliner.

IMG_4012.JPG

Got a chance to try out the rear pattern and I can say doing the headliner is not going to be hard. Taking the stitch ripper to my old headliner, ironing the pieces flat and using it as a pattern was easy compared to other things I have done so far. Getting the entire thing to fit correctly will be a bit of a challenge but once I have the full non-sunroof headliner to use as a pattern it should be only a 2-3 hour effort to get all sewn up.

In the meantime I need to get some dynamat and headliner foam. Also need to figure out a couple of wire things for the disco ball I ordered from Acme-Disco supply house.

IMG_4018.JPG

circling in sunroof delete, pretty much all done from the inside. Even put down a coat of pumpkin spice seam sealer.

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

dynamat in progress

IMG_4040.JPG

I also found a small spot where rust had been getting in so I will need to fix that part, where the rear wheel well seat belt attachment flange sits. This has been a problem on almost every Toyota I have ever owned.

Not bad yet so I need to nip it in the bud, seems like if the fender liner goo gets a crack in it… it’s bad news.
IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

The stupid things I waste my time doing, but also enjoying the struggle of my own stupids.

Rear seat belt anchor bizzness

I probably could have just cleaned off the rust… welded the crap out of it, ground it back, weld thru primer’ed it and gone on my way. Oh NO that would be way too easy. I mean do we really even need rear seat belts?

So, the first thing I tried was creating a simple ¼” thick press break profile. This worked but was really slow and produced caveman result. I’m 100% caveman but I can’t yet admit it so…

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

We need to try one more thing before giving up. Hammer forming is old as the hammer, I think? It also works and produces good looking results. I need to trim the edges and beat on it a bit to bend it into the wheel arch shape. You got a always have a little caveman in the solution.

IMG_4050.JPG

Owning the window TinT! Huzzah!

I had the 2 back doors to strip off the old fuzzy window tint. I had been dreading it because I was sure I was going to damage the defrost element. I was watching Shakira Dance Workout (Beginner Home Workout) Full Body, No equipment and it occurred to me why not try the steamer on the windows?

Heck ya it worked like a dream; it did come off in 2 separate 100% full sheets and there is a tiny bit of residue still on the element in a couple of very small spots. I need more distilled water for the steamer. So @ lunch I will run out and grab a couple more gallons to feed it.

This is now my go to for stripping old window tint. Thank you Shakira for everything you have done for me!

IMG_4052.JPG

the link for the jungle wed site steamer if anybody is interested.
Amazon product ASIN B095RHDHQD

all right I guess I will post an update on my state of affairs.

I got caught in the... while I'm here trap. let’s paint the entire truck? ok fine.

taking her down all the way naked, removing and deleting some badging, no more fender flairs. I need to go get some front lower fenders and probably a couple of other body parts but I have started at the back and I'm just working my way to the front and removing everything, putting it in zip locks, label it... shoot a small video of how it was.

This is going to take a bit of time it seems. But I'm still enjoying myself and that is really all that matters, I'm sure days will come when I'm the statue and not the pigeon.

IMG_4081.JPG

Made a red neck ground strap thing from a coat hanger magnet and some ground lug things I found @ homedept. Then twisted some 12 Gauge wire into a mess and I can then use that to hold my little 16-gauge squares I cut out as a backer to plug holes. My sheet metal skills are getting better, slightly. Still have like 26 holes to do.

after I get them all plugged I will give them a coat of DTM epoxy and then fluid film the pinch weld area from the inside, but that can happen after paint so it does mess with adhesion for now.

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

got a party package from 1/2 way around the world with 2x non-sunroof roof cross members and head liner. Head liner is just for a pattern. The cross members were a little hulk smash from the salvage guys. I used the hammer/dolly to get them back into line. sand blasted and etch primed it. just like factree! I do have an extra cross member if anybody is interested?

IMG_4086.JPG

I put down 3m window weld, it seems like the stuff Toyota used. black, gooey and a complete nightmare to remove. perfect!

IMG_4088.JPG

fits in there just like Toyota maybe designed it? so the bulk of the sunroof delete is done! YES! the black gooey crap even kind of oozes out a bit.

IMG_4089.JPG

cleaned the non-sunroof headliner and it's drip drying

IMG_4087.JPG

The excavations continue on my archeological project.

Pretty much dug as far as I’m going to on the passenger side, all the flair holes are plugged and I’m happy with the results. I will be picking up a new hood, and left lower fender just to make life simpler. still need to hit the right side lower fender but I think it looks good still.

Must have been some kind of event that caused another caveman to hammer time the inner fender well back into place, so that is what needs a little hammer dolly strip epoxy. I would replace the entire inner fender well but… not sure they exist. So I will repair this one and hope I can seal it all up accordingly.

IMG_4098.JPG

At this pace I will be ready for paint in 2026

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

The things we do for love

I can see why you would just buy a new fender line, man it took everything I had and then some. The liner does not give up without a fight. This is as far as I could stand to go, not perfect but good enough for the girl I married.

Supply issues with premium graded/sorted dried fine sand… so I can’t get blasting media. Sigh.

IMG_4120.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

I figured as much that my lower left fender had a repair on it, yes it did have filler. But the repair was really well done. I was thinking about changing the color of the truck to midnight blue 8H6 .... glad I stripped that fender and rattle canned it... not for me. Probably going to stay white.

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

jumping on the exhaust train, cho cho

a couple of nail bighting moments but the good old stud extractor came to the rescue again, love that thing :) no sawing.

can confirm that center pipe is a bit of a puzzle, had to drop the trans about 6" to finally get it out.

now just waiting on a package from Dave, go DAVE!

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

jumping on the exhaust train, cho cho

a couple of nail bighting moments but the good old stud extractor came to the rescue again, love that thing :) no sawing.

can confirm that center pipe is a bit of a puzzle, had to drop the trans about 6" to finally get it out.

now just waiting on a package from Dave, go DAVE!

View attachment 3361327

View attachment 3361331

View attachment 3361334
The center pipe is a bitch.....lots of impure thoughts.....

Seriously though... the Toyota exhaust system is not the highest grade steel......and it isnt gonna last all that long

Pipe 2 and 3 on mine are brandy new take offs from a 76 series and they're still not stainless.

Pipe 1 I broke down and bought from Amayama ($$$$) and it too is not the highest quality steel.....dont get me started on how every factory exhaust weld rusts at the speed of light and is where stuff fails.

Next time I get to thinking about replacement its gonna be a stainless system from my local guy and that center pipe is gonna be two piece with flange/union in the center to facilitate easier maint down the road.

Last edited:
The center pipe is a bitch.....lots of impure thoughts.....

Seriously though... the Toyota exhaust system is not the highest grade steel......and it isnt gonna last all that long

Pipe 2 and 3 on mine are brandy new take offs from a 76 series and they're still not stainless.

Pipe 1 I broke down and bought from Amayama ($$$$) and it too is not the highest quality steel.....dont get me started on how every factory exhaust weld rusts at the speed of light and is where stuff fails.

Next time I get to thinking about replacement its gonna be a stainless system from my local guy and that center pipe is gonna be two piece with flange/union in the center to facilitate easier maint down the road.

I have done my own exhaust a couple of times, is always a pain.

I agree it would probably be best to get a custom setup local. I was also thinking about doing a modification to mine... still might once I get it. putting a flange into the center pipe would not be hard. I think I have the CAD files already done and could plasma cut the flanges out. clearance in that spot is also tight making the tac welding fun.

I have done my own exhaust a couple of times, is always a pain.

I agree it would probably be best to get a custom setup local. I was also thinking about doing a modification to mine... still might once I get it. putting a flange into the center pipe would not be hard. I think I have the CAD files already done and could plasma cut the flanges out. clearance in that spot is also tight making the tac welding fun.

I was considering using the old flanges off old exhaust to create the new junction for the center tube

Set it up to use a stock exhaust gasket and call it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom