1992 HZJ-75 Troopy: Going to need a bunch of advice on this build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yahoo auctions. If you don’t have a japanese bank account see If a local you work with can order one for you.

I look on there as well as 工具通販 MonotaRO(モノタロウ) 現場を支えるネットストア, free shipping and all OEM parts so far. The issue is that I can find ones such as 81270-60201 but the pictures only show the part from the front and dealing with returns over here is complicated.

Do you read/write hiragana? Get a friend to help you navigate?
Not that smart, I use google chrome and just search using part numbers. No issues so far, plus they usually send out 10% off coupons every couple of weeks and free shipping. And you can use credit cards not associated with any Japanese banks which is nice as well.

That was super helpful, I have been looking for a visual of the backside to see if it would align correctly. The thing has enough holes already, I don't need to make to many more...

The whole thread of his has been helpful, especially when it comes to part numbers and part substitutions.

Not much to do, the truck is still at the body shop. A couple of areas of rust where found, the bed had a couple of spots, one of the rear lights as well as the passenger side floor under the factory sound/heat insulation. I was surprised there was no rust around the windshield so I will take that as a win. Hopefully in the next week or so it will be complete so I can start working on the interior.
truck2.jpg
truck4.jpg
troopy-paint3.jpg

Congrats on your 75 and good luck on the rebuild.

please, what´s the size of the tires? are these 255/85R16 grandtrek ?

Aren´t planning to have a snorkel installed?

It had a factory one but it was just for looks and in rough shape. A safari snorkel is on the list but it will be easier to do once it gets into the states.

I am not sure on the tires to be honest, I planned on changing them down the road and are just hoping they can last a little while.

Congrats on your 75 and good luck on the rebuild.

please, what´s the size of the tires? are these 255/85R16 grandtrek ?

Aren´t planning to have a snorkel installed?

Truck is still at the body shop so I can't do much but think of ways to spend money. The engine has 250,000 kilometers on it so I was thinking of having an overhaul done on it. I live in Japan still so parts are readily available and to be honest, labor is much cheaper when dealing with working on cars. Would it be worth the time and money, and what do I have to make sure happens if I do an overhaul?

I know these things are not the most watertight of vehicles but I have some water in above in the channel above the rear barn doors and the rear pillars next to it. I circled the areas with moisture in the pics. Is it normal? Gutters look good, no exterior rust up top, nothing mounted or bolted in. The front is bone dry, so it has to be something midtruck or back.

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

I know these things are not the most watertight of vehicles but I have some water in above in the channel above the rear barn doors and the rear pillars next to it. I circled the areas with moisture in the pics. Is it normal? Gutters look good, no exterior rust up top, nothing mounted or bolted in. The front is bone dry, so it has to be something midtruck or back.

View attachment 2418630

View attachment 2418631

View attachment 2418632

View attachment 2418633

I see water all over your windows... could it be coming in the edges of the slider window?
Perhaps look for hairline cracks in the paint/sealer of your rain gutter... any spots where water sits and slowly seeps in?

I look on there as well as 工具通販 MonotaRO(モノタロウ) 現場を支えるネットストア, free shipping and all OEM parts so far. The issue is that I can find ones such as 81270-60201 but the pictures only show the part from the front and dealing with returns over here is complicated.

I know this is older, but Ive ordered a TON from MonataRO, and almost all have been far lower that MSRP for parts. I know the image doesn't help you for confirmation all the time, I just used partsouq to see if there was an image of the same PN to confirm.

Anyways, if the PN is what you need, I definitely recommend them. There were a lot of parts for my 77 that show not available or no data at all on all other sites, but they had them and were really cheap. And anything over 3500JPY was free shipping and came quickly!

Some times water penetrates through the window seals , especially if they are old and dry .
even windshield .
my 78 , so far is water tight . 16 years .
if you get water inside , despite the annoyance , it could lead to sever rust in some years ,
it is imperative to address it in time

I know this is older, but Ive ordered a TON from MonataRO, and almost all have been far lower that MSRP for parts. I know the image doesn't help you for confirmation all the time, I just used partsouq to see if there was an image of the same PN to confirm.

Anyways, if the PN is what you need, I definitely recommend them. There were a lot of parts for my 77 that show not available or no data at all on all other sites, but they had them and were really cheap. And anything over 3500JPY was free shipping and came quickly!
I love using MonataRO. Free shipping is awesome dealing with all these little parts.

Some times water penetrates through the window seals , especially if they are old and dry .
even windshield .
my 78 , so far is water tight . 16 years .
if you get water inside , despite the annoyance , it could lead to sever rust in some years ,
it is imperative to address it in time
I see water all over your windows... could it be coming in the edges of the slider window?
Perhaps look for hairline cracks in the paint/sealer of your rain gutter... any spots where water sits and slowly seeps in?

I changed all the seals, and the water starts above the area of the window seals. Do the gutters have drainage holes in them? Mine don't and I am not sure if they are meant to have something that allows the water to drain in certain areas.

The side windows have a drainage small window at the bottom .
If they have been taken out and not properly refitted , it might be the reason of your problem.
Would suggest to take them out , get rid of the rust that certainly you will find between window frame and body .
And reassemble all in correct way .

Hop in the truck while someone sprays water at various points....you'll find it pretty quick.

Becuase I enjoy starting one project on this thing before the last is completed, plus its a million degrees outside so I don't feel like laying soundproofing at the moment I pulled the dash so I can replace it. I will have plenty of more questions soon because of the dash being off. The wiring of somethings looks sketchy but I need pictures to paint a better picture so that will be forthcoming.

As the dash is off, I figure I will change all the lights. From my understanding, the dash console lights are t10 wedges. Can I just change them to LED? If so has anyone have recommendations on ones that will fit? I am only worried about the main lights, the warning lights and such will be replaced with the old school bulbs.

I’m in the process of tearing out the dash and replacing it. Which allows all the fun of being able to look at all the craziness that has happened over the trucks life.

How does the a/c work? Wiring aside as I know that isn’t proper what is meant to be In that spot as the plastic climate control has a spot for something legit.

Appreciate all the help I get on here.

4DFABD45-0632-45F2-BAB0-E5386BB0389F.jpeg

B1EFFFED-1A65-490B-89DC-C84DB209326D.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m in the process of tearing out the dash and replacing it. Which allows all the fun of being able to look at all the craziness that has happened over the trucks life.

How does the a/c work? Wiring aside as I know that isn’t proper what is meant to be In that spot as the plastic climate control has a spot for something legit.

Appreciate all the help I get on here.

View attachment 2423773

View attachment 2423774
The push button that goes there does the same as that switch, it just connects those wires, which grounds the other side of the A/C compressor clutch coil relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom