Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, swing and a miss.

Received the replacement bearing cap and it’s incorrect. Damn. Can’t believe so many different little variations with these engines.

You can see the differences between the two caps below. The ones I received fits around the crankshaft fine. But a number of differences:

Replacement on top, broken below:

View attachment 2271226

The bolt hole on the replacement cap is too small. Mine has 16mm diameter bolt holes.

View attachment 2271227

You can see the gap below against the casting on the block side: Incorrect one:

View attachment 2271228

Correct one below:

View attachment 2271229

Correct one to the right, incorrect to the left:

View attachment 2271230

Ugh. Demoralizing.

Onur,
Would you consider having a replacement machined out of steel? The original is cast iron, so the mechanical properties of a replacement cap machined out of steel will be significantly higher. However if I recall correctly, the cast iron original might have different thermal expansion properties (rates of growth due to heating) than what might be realized with a steel replacement cap. If correct, try to select a steel alloy with a CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) fairly close to cast iron to promote similar thermal expansion behavior between the cast block and a machined steel cap.
[so as the block heats up and expands, the replacement steel cap expands at a similar rate to the block => to avoid inducing thermal stresses between the cast block and the steel cap applying to one another]

Good luck with finding the correct replacement so you don't have to machine a part.

Onur,
Would you consider having a replacement machined out of steel? The original is cast iron, so the mechanical properties of a replacement cap machined out of steel will be significantly higher. However if I recall correctly, the cast iron original might have different thermal expansion properties (rates of growth due to heating) than what might be realized with a steel replacement cap. If correct, try to select a steel alloy with a CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) fairly close to cast iron to promote similar thermal expansion behavior between the cast block and a machined steel cap.
[so as the block heats up and expands, the replacement steel cap expands at a similar rate to the block => to avoid inducing thermal stresses between the cast block and the steel cap applying to one another]

Good luck with finding the correct replacement so you don't have to machine a part.

Thanks Larry. Having one machined probably will probably be cost prohibitive.

Holding out hope for one.

Onur, did 3Bs come in Toyota forklifts? I know 2H did. If so, another stash source to hunt in. Also any luck with EBI cruisers or Radd Cruisers?

I shall have a look see at what I can get in aus. No promises tho sorry.

Also, are you planning to have the motor balanced? I know of a few that have and reckon it makes them heaps smoother. Admittedly I don't know much about it.

You can see it here.

B48D6941-7305-4E0D-8457-1D0BD1B0514B.jpeg

@Indestructible 47 Brad at ELS might have some 3B engines floating around and ill have a look around these parts too

@Onur I've put a few feelers out here, will let you know how we go.

I'm looking at what you got. Looking at your work I know you want a correct OEM replacement. If you can't find that I know you can make something work.....If you can find a old machine shop with lots of junk parts laying around and old bearded men in their 60's that chain smoke while running the machinery. Bring a couple Ideas with you and see what they can do to fix your problem. There is more than one way to skin that cat.

Onur, you probably are more than fully aware. Thought I would share regardless. Liner install is an art. The liner protrusion above block and cylinder head gasket thickness you choose need to be well coordinated. See Post #51.

I remember that sign! The Captain has been there for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom