Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merhaba Bay Onur . Her şeyden önce, size iyi bir gençleştirme diliyorum. Ben kara kruvazörü bj 60 türkiye sahibim. Bana izin verirsen bir şey sormak istiyorum.
yeni pistonları nereden aldın? Fiyatı ne kadar merak ediyorum. Teşekkürler

MVIMG_20200409_174241~2.jpg
IMG_20200409_174259_1.jpg

He also gets that look in his eye when he has just made himself a ****ing Manwich.
IMG_20200408_181746.jpg

Strange things have been finding their way into the quarantine shopping cart. 🙄

3B oil pump assembly
First part reassembled today. Feels good.

Installed oil pump into case. I like to use assembly lube for anything that rotates/moves and mates with metal...

75947FE5-0260-4C0E-9664-EE5D8F25FBF6.jpeg

The match marks face towards the cover (against the block):

919A487D-42F3-4A92-BDB1-6C10355D6D31.jpeg

7C83AF9C-47B5-4181-8351-8EC809A02DB7.jpeg

And assembled...

499DE8CF-D033-4FB8-8545-367DF051473B.jpeg

3B oil relief valve
Oil relief valve installed.... you can see that I’ve been planning this build since at least 2016 when I started the slow process of buying everything available for my 3B. :lol:

5752BF61-1AD9-4BB1-A6F4-2D656BEBE9CF.jpeg

CBEF3A23-6221-4F5B-9083-CFC5BF6F578E.jpeg

And it’s in there.

D002EC44-F357-4F4B-8BCC-CDA9965651A8.jpeg

Organizing everything that has to go back onto the engine. It’s a big adult LEGO set. :lol:

2ECC4612-DB63-4AFE-A2E8-2B4AF105315F.jpeg

Nice Onur-Big project. Good to keep busy while the world is at a standstill. I'm surprised by that cracked main cover too. What's the leading theory as to what caused that?

Were you not going to insert the rings in the sleeves to check the gap? I mean I don't know how important a step it is but the rings could be to tight, although that is probably highly unlikely

Is there a locating bump in the ring groove for your Gap, or can the ring be installed in any rotation?if you are free to install your rigs and any rotation ensure that you significantly offset the ring gaps from each other or you will get blow by.

Forgive me if you already know this. I had what I thought was a reputable shop rebuild a small block 400 for me one time. First oil change and the next two were black like diesel oil, and she leaked like a sieve. At 6000 miles she spun a bearing. .... Upon tear down we found all of the piston ring gaps were lined up allowing gasoline to blow by and deteriorate the oil as well as cause pressure in the crankcase forcing oil out at the mainseal. Also had the wristpins tight in the rods so they couldn't move freely until warm causing extra friction on the big end bearings which spun.

Were you not going to insert the rings in the sleeves to check the gap? I mean I don't know how important a step it is but the rings could be to tight, although that is probably highly unlikely

Checked per FSM and feeler gauge. There is actually an equation to figure it out as well.

It’s pretty much moot point with new rings and pistons.

Last edited:
Is there a locating bump in the ring groove for your Gap, or can the ring be installed in any rotation?if you are free to install your rigs and any rotation ensure that you significantly offset the ring gaps from each other or you will get blow by.

Forgive me if you already know this. I had what I thought was a reputable shop rebuild a small block 400 for me one time. First oil change and the next two were black like diesel oil, and she leaked like a sieve. At 6000 miles she spun a bearing. .... Upon tear down we found all of the piston ring gaps were lined up allowing gasoline to blow by and deteriorate the oil as well as cause pressure in the crankcase forcing oil out at the mainseal. Also had the wristpins tight in the rods so they couldn't move freely until warm causing extra friction on the big end bearings which spun.

The manual specifies how these will be installed once they are placed in the cylinders. There is a specific orientation for the ring gaps in the cylinders.

I’m obviously not at that point yet since the block has to go to machine first.

3CBED07D-4266-4C42-9F0B-7E95115CE540.jpeg

Last edited:

A note on ring Gap, "file fitting" should
The manual specifies how these will be installed once they are placed in the cylinders. There is a specific orientation for the ring gaps in the cylinders.

View attachment 2267874
You're lucky to have all those manuals. I just saw you had a picture of the Piston with the rings all lined up and it concerned me. Thought I'd chime in.

3B flywheel and crankshaft after polish
Flywheel back from a quick surfacing:

E069EFBD-01B4-4A81-8AFD-1A91B4D2CB4D.jpeg

Crankshaft back from a quick polish as well...

44860A1B-DBA6-4FA4-A027-D95F3FFBE2D1.jpeg

BBB1ED95-DF03-4FF9-AA8F-EC15E4A09F2C.jpeg

Here is the #2 main journal where cap broke. A bit more wear than the other journals and a small bit of pitting. I am going to let the machine shop working on the block do a run out test of the crank and machine as needed to clean up more if needed and/or machine it to get within tolerances.

0C6EA2C9-5F1C-40EA-869C-17BEAAE15122.jpeg

17BD134E-D157-4409-BE4B-D426C856B758.jpeg

You can see here the factory machining done to balance the crank shaft. 3 holes in the rear and 6 at the front.

ACEF2199-CDB6-4663-9C27-B1DAA2A14FED.jpeg

B1EED2CC-ED7A-4783-9523-859F433D8AAB.jpeg

Of course this is done automatically at the factory through autonomation (jidoka in TPS language).

An operator is at the machine running it and making sure the machine is operating correctly, but the entire process is automated from the time the crank blank enters the machine to the time it is removed.

There are very few “quality” checks done during the process or even afterwards. The machine will either automatically check tolerances and quality during the process or the “quality” check is done even before the process is begun. TPS assumes that waste and quality are designed into the operation.

Thus, less time spent checking parts and more time spent manufacturing products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom