Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Steering Cooler and hoses
Power steering cooler and hosing completed. Power steering system is now completed...

Cooler bolted onto frame. Protected yet in the path of plenty of airflow coming through the engine compartment.

Hoses measured, protection wrapped and routed. Good to go.
DD32E95B-B13A-484C-909F-1FA6C85FFACA.jpeg
43FC5383-21B0-40D3-B3CB-B06D86B33B67.jpeg

Me too. Hoses provided by AXT were not compatible. Of course, I find that out today.

Getting some transition reducer hoses overnighted from CA. Cross my fingers.

So far...

View attachment 2348294
View attachment 2348295

BUMMER!
Nice setup. My guess is that barrel cooler won't fit between the 13BT intake setup. I found another style that might work though. Curious on your Heat Exchanger location.

I also need to get the hood back from paint to figure out what type of clearance I have underneath.

I‘m going to install everything and plumb everything and do the electrical and the test fit.

BUMMER!
Nice setup. My guess is that barrel cooler won't fit between the 13BT intake setup. I found another style that might work though. Curious on your Heat Exchanger location.

Up front in front of the radiator. I don’t have AC. So no condenser to worry about. Should be an easy fit. It has a fan too that will operate via switch.

Up front in front of the radiator. I don’t have AC. So no condenser to worry about. Should be an easy fit. It has a fan too that will operate via switch.

that will work nice. I have a/c so I’m getting creative. Have a few spots just need to test. Looking good man.

why did you choose the air to water intercooler instead of an air to air, clearance issues or just personal choice

AXT out of Oz has this kit all set-up for a 3B. I did not want to reinvent a wheel.

I wanted PnP as much as possible. All IC systems require some amount of creative plumbing and work, but I really did not want to get stuck in the morass of research and development ... at least for this engine and vehicle.

Yes, I know everyone has their reasoning for which style is better, simpler, more efficient, etc. I’m not interested in any of those debates nor are they applicable here.

If I had an I6 diesel I would probably spend more time doing R&D ... along with a VDJ79 hood scoop. :lol:

It gives me a reason to install my 24-12v reducer and set-up an aux fuse box as well for the IC coolant pump, 2M Yaesu, Harrop lockers, and aux lighting system.

Last edited:
Little things.... new seatbelts installed. These are from current model HZJ79 trucks with bucket seats.

The mounting location for where the rolling assembly attaches to the body has to be modified as the originals were smaller.

The opening where it mounts needs to be opened up with a angle grinder then a new locating tab hole drilled in.

After that, direct fit and good to go!

A960CE54-A324-42E8-97DD-599BC95BC5E6.jpeg
E653AB4C-8F0C-45B4-920A-86D39919BD93.jpeg

The intercooler kit from AXT has very little in the way of instructions, etc. There are literally zero pictures online, on any Oz forums or any installation threads anywhere. Makes me wonder about this kit...

In any event, I am not installing the pusher fan for the radiator. I have no heat issues with the 3B at slow speeds... always at higher speeds, in the mountains, etc. As such one less thing to worry about in terms of system complexity. The radiator itself will do good cooling at speed.

I welded up some brackets to locate it behind the grille. Test fitted the 3/4” hose routing and I am good for the inlet and outlet.

Next, time to locate water pump, fitting and test fit with new intercooler hoses which should be arriving today.

713BCBDD-E847-4B90-81FE-AD4C38CC35C9.jpeg

The intercooler kit from AXT has very little in the way of instructions, etc. There are literally zero pictures online, on any Oz forums or any installation threads anywhere. Makes me wonder about this kit...

In any event, I am not installing the pusher fan for the radiator. I have no heat issues with the 3B at slow speeds... always at higher speeds, in the mountains, etc. As such one less thing to worry about in terms of system complexity. The radiator itself will do good cooling at speed.

I welded up some brackets to locate it behind the grille. Test fitted the 3/4” hose routing and I am good for the inlet and outlet.

Next, time to locate water pump, fitting and test fit with new intercooler hoses which should be arriving today.

View attachment 2349098

Looks like a nice fit there. Is that about 10X14" heat exchanger?

Little things.... new seatbelts installed. These are from current model HZJ79 trucks with bucket seats.

The mounting location for where the rolling assembly attaches to the body has to be modified as the originals were smaller.

The opening where it mounts needs to be opened up with a angle grinder then a new locating tab hole drilled in.

After that, direct fit and good to go!

View attachment 2349088View attachment 2349089
One of my favorite “mods” I did to my 62. As close to owning a 70 series as I’ll likely get. Hahaha. Nice to have new factory belts though.

Looks like you will have to notch out the back of the factory grill to fit it there. Really is no other option in the 70 series narrow front trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom