1974 FJ55 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1F application with header: Remflex gasket worked well for me at the interface for the head/exhaust/air intake as well as interface at the base of the collector. I bought it off Amazon but probably would have saved if I bought the double kit from SOR, one for the FJ55 and another for the FJ40. Just my 2 cents

1F application with header: Remflex gasket worked well for me at the interface for the head/exhaust/air intake as well as interface at the base of the collector. I bought it off Amazon but probably would have saved if I bought the double kit from SOR, one for the FJ55 and another for the FJ40. Just my 2 cents
I've heard the Remflex is the way to go. I ended up ordering a Fel-Pro first. Only because I can get those free. Hopefully it last long enough to make it to whatever I decide to do for another engine...

Does anyone have any advice about the rust?? It's something I wasn't expecting at all as well as never really had to deal with. Seems to be isolated in the rear fenders and front drivers. However, I see lots of bondo and can't say what's under it. The more I take off the more I seem to find.
20221208_214321.jpg
20221208_214544.jpg
20221208_214306.jpg

Sorry to see the rust, but it's good you're going to deal with it before a big money drop into drivetrain. Unfortunately there aren't patch panels for those rust areas, you'll have to make them by hand. I would start to look for a trusted body man and go over the whole body getting off the bondo, so you know what's what. By the look of what you found so far I would bet there's more in the roof gutters/A pillars, maybe the floor pans, too.

If you decide to move forward with repairs, then some of the guys here can help guide you though, in my opinion, the worst part of this sport. @remy1974 is making some great headway in new patch panels, so keep in touch with him, maybe someday we'll have new wheel well lips. 🙏

The floors and rockers have been replaced, so that is a huge plus. The wheel lips will require the most skill to deal with. I’m going to have to deal with that same issue on my 77 project 55. My son and I have noticed that Chevy Express vans look to have approximately the same contours on their wheel lips as a 55. I haven’t compared them yet, but even an approximate match seems like that would be a significant find.

Sorry to see the rust, but it's good you're going to deal with it before a big money drop into drivetrain. Unfortunately there aren't patch panels for those rust areas, you'll have to make them by hand. I would start to look for a trusted body man and go over the whole body getting off the bondo, so you know what's what. By the look of what you found so far I would bet there's more in the roof gutters/A pillars, maybe the floor pans, too.

If you decide to move forward with repairs, then some of the guys here can help guide you though, in my opinion, the worst part of this sport. @remy1974 is making some great headway in new patch panels, so keep in touch with him, maybe someday we'll have new wheel well lips. 🙏
Rolling your own...

Wheel lips would be useful!

Somebody help me here, but one fella used a utility tool body lips that worked great. A Knapp box maybe?

See:

74 PA PIG - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/74-pa-pig.1183668/page-3#post-12846299

and

@smooth

See these posts specifically:

74 PA PIG - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/74-pa-pig.1183668/page-3#post-12846299

and

See these posts specifically:

and

I saw those! Pretty ingenious if you ask me! I have my dad trying to get me some. His company buys beds from them all the time. Hopefully he can swing something my way.

In the mean time I have been getting to know this old 4bt that I got. It needs some loving but I think I can make something out of it. It has the Bosch Inline A pump with the better RQV Govenor.
20221210_193107.jpg

Just some news on what's happening. I managed to "fix" the exhaust leak. No thanks to the warping of the exhaust manifold though. I did have to torque it down to 38 lbs. Hope that doesnt bite me in the butt.
20221214_153134.jpg
20221214_153305.jpg

I've been driving it trying to decide on what things I want to tackle first. My plan for this is to use it as my daily so I won't really be able to have it down for too long in-between fixing/upgrading whatever needs arise. Doing this while also trying to figure out what all is needed to make this 4bt in it work. The research seems to be the biggest job on this project.

But man I do love getting to see it outside the office!
20221228_102259.jpg

This is a more of my dads idea but I may try to use it to see what happens. What is it you ask? It is a self contained hydraulic ran AC unit. It would need to be set up with the hydraulic pump that came with the 4bt that I have. This particular one was good for 25k BTU so in theory it should be plenti for the cab. This unit is modular so the pieces aren't neccessarily stuck in the configuration shown. I may or may not use it, that hasn't been decided yet.
20230109_213601.jpg

That would be interesting 🤔 How big of a tank would you need and where would it go?
According to my dad it wouldn't need no more than 2-3 gallons but would have to be ran through a cooler to make this happen. He suggest through the radiator. I explained to him about all of the many threads I've read that say there isn't space there but being how few gallons is needed it shouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom