1970 bad engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No clue for oil temperature but the port for the oil pressure sender is on the block way below the carb.

I would use non-detergent oil to break it in. Pull the plugs and crank it over until it has oil pressure. Put them in, fire it up check for leaks: air/vac, water and oil; make sure brakes work. Go for a drive around town for like 1/2 to an hour. Vary speeds and loads. Shut it down and let it cool out for a few hours, check the bolts and retorque the head and manifold. Go for several hours drive again varying speed and load - you should be about the 100 mile mark. Let it cool out. You are now ready to take it out for a real drive like you would normally drive; highway off road whatever. At 300 to 500 miles new oil and filter, still break in oil. At 1000 switch to full synthetic and change it every 3000 with a filter.

No clue for oil temperature but the port for the oil pressure sender is on the block way below the carb.

I would use non-detergent oil to break it in. Pull the plugs and crank it over until it has oil pressure. Put them in, fire it up check for leaks: air/vac, water and oil; make sure brakes work. Go for a drive around town for like 1/2 to an hour. Vary speeds and loads. Shut it down and let it cool out for a few hours, check the bolts and retorque the head and manifold. Go for several hours drive again varying speed and load - you should be about the 100 mile mark. Let it cool out. You are now ready to take it out for a real drive like you would normally drive; highway off road whatever. At 300 to 500 miles new oil and filter, still break in oil. At 1000 switch to full synthetic and change it every 3000 with a filter.
Good info, thanks. I did mean the pressure not temp on the oil, I see where it goes now, I'll just need to get it back in. When I pull the plugs and crank it over to get pressure, do I have to unhook the gas from the carb?

49552364-AE68-4141-A7B3-6AF2575C4258.jpeg

E623E9C2-5A05-4266-A747-0FA5A930B7BA.jpeg

Perhaps one addition to previous post, double check then triple check that your distributor drive is 100% seated into your oil pump. This tiny step is super critical, and usually when a rebuild fails it is because of this.

Royal Purple is my go to break in oil, loaded with Zinc

Last edited:
It would be dependent if it has a new cam and lifters. I would contact the rebuilder and do what he suggests. Especially if he's offering some sort of warranty.

Crank over with the ING disabled and probably pull the plugs.

A fresh cam and lifters have a break in procedure.

View attachment 3609497
View attachment 3609498

Perhaps one addition to previous post, double check then triple check that your distributor drive is 100% seated into your oil pump. This tiny step is super critical, and usually when a rebuild fails it is because of this.

Royal Purple is my got break in oil, loaded with Zinc
Perfect pics! I have all those parts and will get these mounted correctly now, thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom