1970 bad engine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I have a 1970 FJ40 with original 3.9L V6 and I believe the engine is getting ready to throw a rod as it's banging bad, anyone know if these can still be rebuilt anywhere or if another engine will mount in fairly easy? Much appreciated

Hello all,
I have a 1970 FJ40 with original 3.9L V6 and I believe the engine is getting ready to throw a rod as it's banging bad, anyone know if these can still be rebuilt anywhere or if another engine will mount in fairly easy? Much appreciated
You have posted in the wrong vehicle section. This is for the 2007-2015 FJ Cruiser, not the FJ40 Land Cruiser.

Hello all,
I moved your thread to the right section.

Assuming you have the 1F engine, several threads have come up about rebuilding, and may advise sourcing a used 2F instead due to parts availability and cost. They are often taken out for LS swaps and can be fitted right in place of the 1F.

Assuming you have the 1F engine, several threads have come up about rebuilding, and may advise sourcing a used 2F instead due to parts availability and cost. They are often taken out for LS swaps and can be fitted right in place of the 1F.
Really, I didn't know they fit easily, thanks for this, I'll search for one of those

Maybe figure out where the banging is coming from first?
I'm guessing a big end bearing??
Drop the sump and see what you find. Be prepared for 6 cylinders in a row though :p

Maybe figure out where the banging is coming from first?
I'm guessing a big end bearing??
Drop the sump and see what you find. Be prepared for 6 cylinders in a row though :p
I was thinking of that, but never having rebuilt an engine myself didn't know what I should be looking for, I'm a newbee. I'm going to open it up this weekend and see what I get. Any videos you know of I can watch to help me make sure I'm looking at the correct thing?

No sorry, maybe someone?

Open the bonnet and have a good careful listen. What is the source? Get underneath and do the same.
Take a long screwdriver, put the tip of the handle in your ear, and the end onto various parts of the engine - surprising what problems you can hear this way.
See if you can pinpoint the source of the noise (a stethoscope is handy if you have one).
- avoid the ignition coil - that can be shocking.

It could be nothing, or it could be about to die.

One man's bang is another man's rattle - you could try posting a video here of it running.

Got any "car people" friends, should take long for some to listen and tell you what's up. A little guidance for pulling the pan and looking around shouldn't cost more that six pack or two.

There are lots of good vids, the problem is you have to watch like 10 jerks that just waste your time yacking to get to the one that actually clearly explains and illustrates a good repair.

With it idling pull one spark plug and see if the sound changes - put it back on and do the next one. Why you are at it learn to "read" a spark plug. If its all carboned up - get it warm and feed it spoonfulls of brake fluid and water for example.

No sorry, maybe someone?

Open the bonnet and have a good careful listen. What is the source? Get underneath and do the same.
Take a long screwdriver, put the tip of the handle in your ear, and the end onto various parts of the engine - surprising what problems you can hear this way.
See if you can pinpoint the source of the noise (a stethoscope is handy if you have one).
- avoid the ignition coil - that can be shocking.

It could be nothing, or it could be about to die.

One man's bang is another man's rattle - you could try posting a video here of it running.
An approximately three foot length heater or garden hose can also help locate the sound.
Make sure everything is in neutral and wheels are chalked before crawling under vehicle running or not.
Keep fingers away from moving fan blades.
Saw a guy lose a finger that way.

Take a video of it running and post it here. Film with the hood up and slowly walk around the front end. A really out of adjustment valve could be a bad knock to some.

Have you checked the oil?

Got any "car people" friends, should take long for some to listen and tell you what's up. A little guidance for pulling the pan and looking around shouldn't cost more that six pack or two.
Cost more than a six park or two, heck now days you can get 2 cases of bud Light for the same cost.

thanks guys, really appreciate the replies all the help is needed. And yes beer is the best payment for my friends :). I changed the oil last week and new spark plugs, the banging is new, started about a week ago. Can you tell me how to upload the video? I tried and it says that .MOV are not supported.

thanks guys, really appreciate the replies all the help is needed. And yes beer is the best payment for my friends :). I changed the oil last week and new spark plugs, the banging is new, started about a week ago. Can you tell me how to upload the video? I tried and it says that .MOV are not supported.
I assume that the banging started before you changed the oil?
How did the waste oil look, and how much came out?
Any shiny metal pieces floating around?
Did you change the filter also?

I assume that the banging started before you changed the oil?
How did the waste oil look, and how much came out?
Any shiny metal pieces floating around?
Did you change the filter also?
Oil looked old but not super bad, seen much worse, I looked for metal and didn't see any in the oil or on the plug, changed the filter also. I only got this up and running last week and the banging started after 20 miles or so, first time it started it was like the engine froze up and wouldn't start at all. I rolled it and tried to bump start it thinking maybe the starter had frozen but it wouldn't start, then after an hour or so it just started again. Very weird to me

Oil looked old but not super bad, seen much worse, I looked for metal and didn't see any in the oil or on the plug, changed the filter also. I only got this up and running last week and the banging started after 20 miles or so, first time it started it was like the engine froze up and wouldn't start at all. I rolled it and tried to bump start it thinking maybe the starter had frozen but it wouldn't start, then after an hour or so it just started again. Very weird to me
I wonder if you've maybe dropped a valve or a valve seat.
If you take the rocker cover off the top you might find one of your valves missing (and rattling around inside a cylinder)

Its the widget on the maniform! - get some hands on local help if you expect to solve the mystery anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom