1970 bad engine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oil looked old but not super bad, seen much worse, I looked for metal and didn't see any in the oil or on the plug, changed the filter also. I only got this up and running last week and the banging started after 20 miles or so, first time it started it was like the engine froze up and wouldn't start at all. I rolled it and tried to bump start it thinking maybe the starter had frozen but it wouldn't start, then after an hour or so it just started again. Very weird to me

You say you got it up running a week ago. What's the history prior to that? Was it running b4 the oil change? It seems like we're not getting the full story of the engine.

You say you got it up running a week ago. What's the history prior to that? Was it running b4 the oil change? It seems like we're not getting the full story of the engine.
Well, I bought the rig only a few weeks ago so i don't have the full story but here is what I have. It started and ran fine when i was checking it out then after driving it home and running around a bit it I started hearing a knock. Then one day I was just cruising along and I heard a loud bang and everything died, engine wouldn't start after that. I towed it home and started working on it and after a few hours it started, before that it wouldn't even turn over, it sounded like the starter or engine was frozen. Anyway for some reason it starts now and idles fine, but as you can hear it has a knock that I can't seem to figure out and there is very little power if you try to drive it

Well, I bought the rig only a few weeks ago so i don't have the full story but here is what I have. It started and ran fine when i was checking it out then after driving it home and running around a bit it I started hearing a knock. Then one day I was just cruising along and I heard a loud bang and everything died, engine wouldn't start after that. I towed it home and started working on it and after a few hours it started, before that it wouldn't even turn over, it sounded like the starter or engine was frozen. Anyway for some reason it starts now and idles fine, but as you can hear it has a knock that I can't seem to figure out and there is very little power if you try to drive it
Can't open the video but good luck with the exploration. Sounds like something fairly significant though :/

I sent you a pm a couple days ago. I’m not far and I go to post falls a couple times a week if you want another set of ears/eyes.

Video link works now. The cadence of that noise in the second video would lead me to valvetrain I think. Reason: seems to tick about 4-6 times per second. Valvetrain moves half the speed of crank so if it is 6 times per second, that’d be 360 rpm if it’s the crank end or 720 rpm if it’s the valvetrain.
In my opinion, valvetrain noise is usually a better problem than crank end.

Sounds like you might have something in common with this thread... check out the photos at the bottom of the first page.

Video link works now. The cadence of that noise in the second video would lead me to valvetrain I think. Reason: seems to tick about 4-6 times per second. Valvetrain moves half the speed of crank so if it is 6 times per second, that’d be 360 rpm if it’s the crank end or 720 rpm if it’s the valvetrain.
In my opinion, valvetrain noise is usually a better problem than crank end.
Good to know, I'll try pulling one plug at a time when running to see if the noise goes away or changes and let you know here. If nothing then I'll pull the cover and look inside
Sounds like you might have something in common with this thread... check out the photos at the bottom of the first page.
Sounds very similar, parts are hard to come by for these 1F motors I'm seeing

Thanks to Skreddy for his help, I think it's a spun bearing, will confirm later this week. Not easy to find any 1 or 2F motors, anyone have thoughts on how hard it is to swap over to a small block? Do you need new bellhousing and tranny? I'm sure it's not a perfect fit but curious if it's worth a try..

Drop the oil pan and inspect the journals on your crankshaft. Should be very evident where the culprit is. If you have standard journals and theres no scoring you might get lucky. Possible regrind and the appropriate size bearing might do the trick. Won’t hurt to check before you go all in on a new 2f or SBC conversion. As someone once told me. “It’s a tractor engine”.

Drop the oil pan and inspect the journals on your crankshaft. Should be very evident where the culprit is. If you have standard journals and theres no scoring you might get lucky. Possible regrind and the appropriate size bearing might do the trick. Won’t hurt to check before you go all in on a new 2f or SBC conversion. As someone once told me. “It’s a tractor engine”.
That was my plan next time out in the shop, I'll take some pictures and post them if to get your opinion. I would much rather have this rig original so hoping I can salvage this 1F

That was my plan next time out in the shop, I'll take some pictures and post them if to get your opinion. I would much rather have this rig original so hoping I can salvage this 1F
Here is what I found, all looked ok and were tight except #1, took it apart, see below. I've seen some videos of these being cleaned, sanded with 400 or so and put back together, anyone ever done that?

IMG_3957 (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Stop 🛑 don’t use sandpaper. Looks like your into professional help on this one. Cant tell how+deep you are by the vid. I think .025 is the most you can go when you have one turned. Someone fact check me on that..

You have a good competent machine shop close by? I/we used NAPA years ago todo SBC’s not sure they provide that service in house.

@cruisermatt might be able to look (eyeball) at that vid/pic with a calibrated eye and give you some feedback on the viability of saving your crank, or point you to a replacement…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom